Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
Oh dear, what a poor batting performance from England. Still you cant take anything away from India who showed us how to bat in these conditions. I would have bet my life this game would end in a draw starting on day 3.

well Played India great win Congrats to all indian fans.Munaf Patel is a good found for India his line & leght is really good he's like Asif and he can swing the ball.
i hope India will win in Mumbai and wrap up the series. this English side is really weak and they are playing an inform and strong Indian team.

Well done to India. Nothing England could do, with the lack of experience playing a big role in that 2nd innings collapse.

The real test will take place when India travel to England next year. (Assuming both teams are at full strength)

So the pitch at Mumbai is supposed to be a belter, no? Does anyone know?

The Mumbai pitch has traditionally suited the spinners and the aussies could quite easily recollect the dust bowl in which they were shot out for 90 odd. But I would have a pitch that would quite be like the one at Mohali, which had something for every one. Heck I would even live with a green belt like the one that was used in the test match against South Africa in 2000. We have some good quicks with us now.

m_vaughan said:
What is India's record like in Mumbai?
If we are talking about the Wan-khede stadium then, India's record goes like 20 - 9 - 5 - 6 (Matches - Won - Lost - Draw). Pretty impressive huh? Though the records come to 50% when we consider the last 6 years. India have defeated Windies (innings victory) and Australia (Pup - 6/9) but have lost to South Africa and Australia (2001/02 - before VVS 281).

India Vs England: Played - 5, India Won - 3, Lost - 1 Drew - 1. Last match was in 1992/93.

m_vaughan said:
The real test will take place when India travel to England next year. (Assuming both teams are at full strength)
Not to start a debate, thats what you said when England lost to Pakistan. So England are only a force when playing at home? Don't get me wrong, I wanted England to win, they're one of my favorite teams, but I always see excuses from English fans and nothing more.

Mohali Wicket Was Almost Perfect IMO !! a good sporting wicket.

although i hope Wan-khede Groundsmen dont prepare another dust bowl :p
intresting statistics there btw.. but i dont rely on them and i hope the indian team shouldnt too :D ;)

m_vaughan said:

What ?? so england are powerful only when games are played at home??

England need a decent spinner to even think of winning in the sub continent. And Panesar doesn't seem like the one. He was made to look quite pedestrian in this match. Giles IMO is a better bet than him. Udal and Blackwell are crap.

EDIT: Just found this article on Cricinfo. India have retained the squad for the third test as well. BTW good apprach taken by the Indian selectors and a good interview by Kiran More.

Interview

Last edited:
nightprowler10 said:
Not to start a debate, thats what you said when England lost to Pakistan. So England are only a force when playing at home? Don't get me wrong, I wanted England to win, they're one of my favorite teams, but I always see excuses from English fans and nothing more.

Yes I agree, my English mates keeps whining on about wait untill you come to England, we'll trash you 4-0, I basically said " yeah, we'll see", "in your dreams pal".

The same thing happened when we won England in 2001 1-0 in India, and when we came to England it was a 1-1 with a slightly weaker Indian side.

I always see excuses from the English fans, well a lot from down in my area anyway.

The real test for any side is playing overseas, India as done well in Australia and Pakistan, with a weaker bowling attack.

If I'm honest I think England will do well to only lose this series 1-0. Kumble looks to be back on form as does Sehwag who looked ominous today. I think it would have been a belter of a series if both teams had been as full strength though. I may have to change my Sig if Cook fails to score again.

I disagree that England are only a force when playing at home. To be a great team you have to win home and away which was what made the SA series victory so good last year.
We have struggled in Asia recently though, losing our last tours to SL, Pakistan and now probably India. Partly it's a problem with playing spin but please, losing 4 of the winning Ashes team has to be more than just an excuse.
Whatever people may think Tresco is an exceptionally good player of spin with an excellent average, Vaughan is the captain and more than capable of scoring 100's against any attack, and Simon Jones can reverse swing it - something that Munaf Patel somehow managed to do when England didn't.
This is an inexperienced batting lineup on a very tough tour. India should feel pleased they've done so well but I'm sure they'd much rather have beaten the full England team rather this one which had 3 debutants in the 1st test.

Indiangod said:
The same thing happened when we won England in 2001 1-0 in India, and when we came to England it was a 1-1 with a slightly weaker Indian side.

Neither side now is really comparable with the teams that took part in the 2002 series. Two different captains, we had a few players who were just starting out, you had players who aren't playing now.

Indiangod said:
I always see excuses from the English fans, well a lot from down in my area anyway.

Glad to see you're not saying we all make excuses. I'm not surprised that we're losing as I was thought we would get beaten even with a full strength side.

MUFC1987 said:
as does Sehwag who looked ominous today.

Thing with Sehwag is that he either comes off or he doesn't. He could just as easily score next to nothing in the next match, or cream a 100+

tsyrmas said:
yes but the problem is, that in 115 innings all or most of which have been at no. 3 or opeing, hes has only 15 tons and 14 fifties in test cricket... thats pretty terrible. in ODIs, he has 15 fifties, and 00000000 tons! thats CRAP! and thats at no. 3!!!! you cannot defend that.

No i can't, as a ODI player maybe he shouldn't be there, still got an average better than Afridi and Boucher.

Fact is Vaughan scores big hundreds, plays spin pretty well and has a good record in India, we missed him.

tsyrmas said:
i notice sureshot has gone a little quiet

I'll ask your permission before I log of the internet next time. :(

prarara said:
So the pitch at Mumbai is supposed to be a belter, no? Does anyone know?
If they produce a Green Track ala Headingley more often than not, then I'll eat my hat and hair.

Indiangod said:
Yes I agree, my English mates keeps whining on about wait untill you come to England, we'll trash you 4-0, I basically said " yeah, we'll see", "in your dreams pal".

The real test for any side is playing overseas, India as done well in Australia and Pakistan, with a weaker bowling attack.

2001 was when we used bit/part players.

Now we have a decent line up, 4 of which were out of this tour, we will trouble you when we can use bounce properly at places like Lords, Oval and Edgbaston.

And whoever said Panesar isn't good enough need an eye test.

1) You normally can't judge a player after 2 tests in the hardest palce to bowl as an overseas spinner.
2) He has taken 4 wickets, could've had 10 in this series so far.
3) Has produced edges from your players which begs the question that if he isn't good enough, are the Indians that great players of spin?

btw that last question isn't my POV.

Users who are viewing this thread