Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
avk2love said:
pathan and munaf ideal for starting the bowling

I wouldn't say that considering Sreesanth's ability to take the ball away from the right handed batsmen with the new ball. It is gonna depend on the batsmen and the form of the bowlers. If Strauss and Cook open, then Munaf should be the ideal choice, as Sreesanth is more effective against right handers.

Anyways we have to see whether Sreesanth and Munaf are both going to play. Chances are that Sreesanth will be left out as India are more likely to play only 4 bowlers in the match. I think so coz India got quite a scare in the first innings in Mohali when we lost all our batsmen quickly. The tail wagged then, but we cant always expect them to perform.

varunvgiri said:
I wouldn't say that considering Sreesanth's ability to take the ball away from the right handed batsmen with the new ball. It is gonna depend on the batsmen and the form of the bowlers. If Strauss and Cook open, then Munaf should be the ideal choice, as Sreesanth is more effective against right handers.

Anyways we have to see whether Sreesanth and Munaf are both going to play. Chances are that Sreesanth will be left out as India are more likely to play only 4 bowlers in the match. I think so coz India got quite a scare in the first innings in Mohali when we lost all our batsmen quickly. The tail wagged then, but we cant always expect them to perform.
I would probably leave Harbhajan out. Let him cool his heels for a couple of games. It would be completely disheartening to leave Sreesanth out of the team, when he got the wickets in a flat - as - pancake wicket in Nagpur.

If Harbhajan can't get wickets in sub - continent pitches, the only option left would be to rest him. His record is pathetic in Sri Lanka and Pakistan, where the ball is expected to turn - a - mile. And his current outings have not been that good.

Its high time, we look into a back - up off spinning option.

I agree with Bala. Why should Harbhajan be given any special treatment, especially considering the current team management policies? I can understand that a few years ago, Harbhajan could probably carry on for a while on past performances. Not any more...

I have an uncanny feeling that he might play, though. They would still want a "safe" approach and I think Rahul will feel happier of Harbhajan plays. It's not exactly the right approach, but then, old habits tend to die hard.

It'll require a very courageous Indian captain to say: "well right. Harbhajan hasn't done much in the last few series. I think we ought to go with a third seamer and have just one regular spinner in Anil Kumble. I entirely place my faith in the seamers' ability to do the job - they are quite capable even in these conditions of picking up the wickets."

Somehow, I am not sure they will be that radical on this occasion.

If the team management had the balls in leaving Laxman and the in-form Kaif out of the ranks for Mohali, then what is stopping them in leaving Harbhajan. If the teams are selected based on past records and not current form, might as well rope in Azharuddin, Gavaskar and Kapil.

I have this suspicion that the selectors are going to do a Ganguly to Laxman. Kick him out for good. All they need is a single failure from him.

And if the team management is hell bent on playing 2 seamers and 2 spinners, then what is the rationale in having 4 quicks in the squad. R.P Singh is terribly wasted here. I would have released him from the squad to play in the Deodhar trophy with an option of calling him back in case of an injuries.

Machanperu Bala said:
I would probably leave Harbhajan out. Let him cool his heels for a couple of games. It would be completely disheartening to leave Sreesanth out of the team, when he got the wickets in a flat - as - pancake wicket in Nagpur.

If Harbhajan can't get wickets in sub - continent pitches, the only option left would be to rest him. His record is pathetic in Sri Lanka and Pakistan, where the ball is expected to turn - a - mile. And his current outings have not been that good.

the problem is we don't have a back up. Powar? We haven't tried him and i don't think he can develop into a genuine spinner, we need someone younger. Its something BCCI need to look into.

I have this suspicion that the selectors are going to do a Ganguly to Laxman. Kick him out for good. All they need is a single failure from him.

According to Dravid, there are no such intentions. Laxman has won some matches, in the recent past. He saved quite a few as well. He did not perform in the last two tests, third test against Pak. and the first test.

Two tests mean nothing.
The best thing is to persist with Bhajji.
In pak. the conditions do not suit spin at all! Kumble failed as well, so did kaneria.
He hasn't played test cricket in SL that much, so i don't know on what basis you judged his performance.

varunvgiri said:

As though Laxman will be saving the blushes for the Indian top order :p

Machanperu Bala said:

Instead what I would do is let Harbhajan play the final test and give him an official rest for the ODI series against England! He is not going to try to go all out to pick wickets against England in the ODI's. Also stemming down the runs is not going to bring his confidence back (if that was the case, why did he lose form in the tests that followed the Sri Lanka and South Africa ODI's). He should be rested for the ODI's and then he should be brought back for the West Indies tour!

harishankar said:
I agree with Bala. Why should Harbhajan be given any special treatment, especially considering the current team management policies? I can understand that a few years ago, Harbhajan could probably carry on for a while on past performances. Not any more...

I have an uncanny feeling that he might play, though. They would still want a "safe" approach and I think Rahul will feel happier of Harbhajan plays. It's not exactly the right approach, but then, old habits tend to die hard.

It'll require a very courageous Indian captain to say: "well right. Harbhajan hasn't done much in the last few series. I think we ought to go with a third seamer and have just one regular spinner in Anil Kumble. I entirely place my faith in the seamers' ability to do the job - they are quite capable even in these conditions of picking up the wickets."

Somehow, I am not sure they will be that radical on this occasion.

You ought not to destroy the confidence of your strike bowler by dropping him from a test match because of poor form. You can drop some one after or before a series but not midway during the series. What if you dont get a replacement that you exactly want? What if the seamers lose form temporarily or in the worst scenario, permanently?

saisrini80 said:
As though Laxman will be saving the blushes for the Indian top order :p

Laxman can well save the blushes, should such an occasion arrives. He has proved that in the past.
I dont see any dip in form for him. Just two test failures, nothing else!

I havent seen anything special from Sreesanth yet.Dont know why you guys want him in the team.He is not quick by any stretch of imagination.His average speed in Nagpur was 132 kmh compared to 128 from Pathan's and 138 of Munaf (in Mohali).Sreesanth didnt look like picking up wickets all the time ,infact just with the new ball.His bowling against the tail was highly ineffective.But he still is a better option than RP Singh.

Harbhajan might well play this Mumbai Test as one of his last international matches for some time.If he clicks he clings on but if he does not Powar will surely get a look in.

Laxman will surely come back.

ODI selctions are to take place soon.Any guesses in the team composition.

My pick :

7 batsman,7 bowler and MSD will constitue the team.

Sachin,Sehwag,Dravid,Yuvraj,Kaif,Raina,Rao/Jaffer/Gambhir.

Pathan,Munaf,RP,SreeSanth,Powar,Harbhajan/Chawla,Agarkar(considering Chappels faith in him & fielding and batting securities).

WHat would your team be ????

Any news on the pitch? That could be a clincher for Indian team selection. I'm pretty sure we'll end up going in with two spinners, but an extra pacer may be determined by the type of pitch.

I think we may even see Kumble picked for this ODI series! Kumble made a pretty strong hint during his man of the match at Mohali that he was ready to play test cricket for India. Seeing Harbhajan's disappointment, we may well select Kumble in the squad.

Kumble might well make a comeback. Its disappointing to see enormous talent being wasted.

Sreesanth has very good out-swinger, and bowls them at decent pace. He also reversed the ball, so its a good thing to have in the armour. With time, he'll improve even more.

You ought not to destroy the confidence of your strike bowler by dropping him from a test match because of poor form. You can drop some one after or before a series but not midway during the series. What if you dont get a replacement that you exactly want? What if the seamers lose form temporarily or in the worst scenario, permanently?

I think his confidence is pretty low as it is. A chance to play First Class cricket should get him back to form. You shouldn't allow or expect a player, however great he may be, to regain long lost form in International cricket. It's too much of a risk to expect Bhajji to suddenly turn tables and perform beautifully in the last test.

Harbhajan hasn't exactly been in great form for an extended period now. He's nowhere close to his best...

ronny_kingsley said:
I havent seen anything special from Sreesanth yet.Dont know why you guys want him in the team.He is not quick by any stretch of imagination.His average speed in Nagpur was 132 kmh compared to 128 from Pathan's and 138 of Munaf (in Mohali).Sreesanth didnt look like picking up wickets all the time ,infact just with the new ball.His bowling against the tail was highly ineffective.But he still is a better option than RP Singh.

Harbhajan might well play this Mumbai Test as one of his last international matches for some time.If he clicks he clings on but if he does not Powar will surely get a look in.

Laxman will surely come back.

ODI selctions are to take place soon.Any guesses in the team composition.

My pick :

7 batsman,7 bowler and MSD will constitue the team.

Sachin,Sehwag,Dravid,Yuvraj,Kaif,Raina,Rao/Jaffer/Gambhir.

Pathan,Munaf,RP,SreeSanth,Powar,Harbhajan/Chawla,Agarkar(considering Chappels faith in him & fielding and batting securities).

WHat would your team be ????
Ronny, I would highly disagree with you on a couple of issues.

1. Agarkar has been living on borrowed time until this moment. Zaheer Khan is far more effective than him. If agarkar is picked over Zaheer, then the selectors must have cogs in their mind. And what is the last time we have seen some big runs from the high and mighty bat of Agarkar? I wouldn't consider the 40 ball 70 he scored in the Deodar trophy against South Zone. Scoring against pedestrian attacks that consisited of trundlers like Somasetty Suresh, Balachandra Akhil and Vinay Kumar is no big deal. His bowlingfigures for the match was 2 for 50odd in 6 overs.

2. Sreesanth is far more effective with the older ball, when it starts to reverse. Ask Kevin Pietersen, Matty Hoggard or Shoaib Malik. He also picked up his pace and hit his 137s in the second spell, in which he removed Pietersen. Also RP Singh has the potential to bowl at 140s. He is just 20. Give him a couple of years and he will be the first Left Arm Fast bowler of this era.

Also my squad for the ODI series would be

Batsmen

Sehwag,Tendulkar,Dravid,Raina,Yuvraj,Kaif, Venugopal Rao

Keeper

Dhoni

All Rounders

Pathan,Powar

Bowlers

Sreesanth, Kumble, Munaf, RP Singh, Kartik

Last edited:
In a sense I like this discussion. Shows us how many choices we have in Indian cricket right now. I couldn't imagine such a discussion about so many options maybe five or six years ago... And we're actually considering dropping a player like Harbhajan now when it would have been unthinkable a while back.

Machanperu Bala said:
Ronny, I would highly disagree with you on a couple of issues.

1. Agarkar has been living on borrowed time until this moment. Zaheer Khan is far more effective than him. If agarkar is picked over Zaheer, then the selectors must have cogs in their mind. And what is the last time we have seen some big runs from the high and mighty bat of Agarkar? I wouldn't consider the 40 ball 70 he scored in the Deodar trophy against South Zone. Scoring against pedestrian attacks that consisited of trundlers like Somasetty Suresh, Balachandra Akhil and Vinay Kumar is no big deal. His bowlingfigures for the match was 2 for 50odd in 6 overs.

2. Sreesanth is far more effective with the older ball, when it starts to reverse. Ask Kevin Pietersen, Matty Hoggard or Shoaib Malik. He also picked up his pace and hit his 137s in the second spell, in which he removed Pietersen. Also RP Singh has the potential to bowl at 140s. He is just 20. Give him a couple of years and he will be the first Left Arm Fast bowler of this era.

Agarkar's last Test innings was vital in India winning the Test against SL.
He hasnt got no chance whatsoever to bat in this last ODI series barring very few balls (maybe).

As far as Zaheer and Agarkar are cocnerned,Agarkar would always get the nod ahead of Zaheer in ODI's.HE is more effective in the end of an innings cos of his reverse abilities.Better bat and fielder no doubt .Also his stats in ODI's speak for themselves.

Sreesanth's bowling in Pakistan though good didnt produce results for India in the first 4 matches.Infact of all the bowlers he wast he most "hit" by the Pakistanis.In the Nagpur Test KP's dismmisal wasnt because of Sreesanth's bowling capabilties.He just chopped on.

Hoggard ,Panesar arent reputed wickets to take .Strauss's wicket was a result of a blinder by Laxman.

Still I think Sreesanth is good but not yet ready in being India's regular lineup.

The guy has a FC average of 33 and List -A average of 42.Give him time with the team but not yet to be classed as a Indian spearhead.

Amusing fact that Chawla has played just 10 FC and 4 List-A matches prior to the Mohali Test.How did the selectors found about this guys talent when they took so long to give Munaf Patel (leading wicket taker in Ranji season) a chance to be even in the squad.

Users who are viewing this thread