"Come on Mudhshuden"

"I've already bowled, Geraint"

"OH"

"You missed a catch"

"Didn't want to get rusty, did I?"

---------

So then ZD you accept the true meaning for Pommie then? :D

ZoraxDoom said:
And his ODI record would be better -he is second in the alltime list of unluckiest ODI bowlers in terms of percentage of his deleviries which have beat the bat/been dropped/LBW appeals turned down.
Where did you find this obscure statistic?

Cricinfo. Sami was in the Top Ten too. I posted it somwhere in the Indo-Pak series thread when everyone was calling for Sami's head.

ZoraxDoom said:
RP did touch 140. He is more effective with the new ball and gets really good bounce.
Sreesanth did too, and when he is warmed up is over 80 MPH consistantly. More importantly, he doesn't slow down off the pitch as much as other bowlers, making him quicker onto the batters than others. He is very good with the new ball and is effective against the tail and gets reverse swing. Very aggressive too, not afraid to try a bouncer (His is the best of the current 4) or a yorker or a slower ball.
Munaf is quite quick. We all know that. Gets amazing reverse swing.
Pathan is our best new-ball bowler.
Agarkar is a better allround player than Khan. He swings the new ball, reverses the old one, can bat fairly well when he puts his mind into it, and is a much better fielder. He has no discipline problems and is always willing to wrok hard. Any coach, and skipper in that matter, would prefer him over Zaheer. Hence he has been playing for so long. And his ODI record would be better -he is second in the alltime list of unluckiest ODI bowlers in terms of percentage of his deleviries which have beat the bat/been dropped/LBW appeals turned down.

Hope this settles this now getting boring arguement over our seamers. They are all very good and special in their own way. Feel free to add anything you want

Lol, some people still don't realize what Pommies actually means :D
And if I were him I'd take a nick name to, Indian or not. Imagine everyone calling you Mudhshuden. The keeper wouldn't even bother. Even Harbahajan has a nick name! (Bhajji)

i don,t mean to say that shreesanth is bad bowler but what i mean't was in inspite of better fast bowling talents in the country who have performed better than him he is getting chance after chance even through he was smashed in pak.
I also don't think shreesanth is the best amoung our fast bowlers infact he is the worst.80 mph is nothing in international cricket unless you have excessive swing like pathan or line length like mcgrath.he is a swing bowler india have swing bowlers in plenty but don,t have enough seam bowlers so he and rpsingh would be fringe players not first team prospects

regarding agarkar he is nowhere near zaheer khan in his prime when he had the inswinger to righhander and was bowling at 90 miles.it is a same seeing him now he is not able to sprint on the field and looks ugly.he was the fast bowler india has produced in his prime with srinath.

Note: I called Sreesanth's bouncer the best of the lot, not him.
And he gets swing, and like I said is faster off the pitch than our other bowlers, meaning that -for e.g.- RP may reach the batter at 60 MPH, but Sreesanth would reach at about 62-63 MPH considering both deliveries were released at the same speed. Makes him tricky to face. And he is very aggressive.

harishankar said:
There is a definite need for raw pace in world cricket, particularly in India and on sub-continental pitches which don't assist the seamers with lateral movement.

Even the greats you mentioned, McGrath and Pollock, require a little bit of help from the pitch. They cannot always be effective on flat surfaces. Their greatest strength though is accuracy and not everybody can be as accurate as them, since the margin of error at their pace is so small.

McGrath used to bowl in the 140 kph range in his early days and even now clocks well above 130 kph fairly regularly.

I think the problem with Indian seamers is that most of our seam bowlers bowl in the mid 120 kph (as average) which simply does not cut it at the international level. Pollock can bowl at that speed because (a) Pitches in SA suit his kind of bowling and (b) his accuracy is so good and (c) he is such a veteran and has developed so many variations over the years.

I think the new crop of Indian bowlers certainly need to be in the 135-145 range because they simply cannot hope to become McGraths or Pollocks very early in their career nor should they attempt to do that. You can always slow down later, but they should work on pace because that's what beats batsmen on flat pitches.

the most effective bowlers in sub-continent include Kapil Dev, Vaas and McGrath, and neither of them are "fast". You need line-length.

Why such obsession for pace? You need better line-length, thats the bottom line and pace comes next.

You don't have to be a McGrath, but the basics of bowling is line and length, you cannot compromise them for pace.

India is almost set to play 6 batsmen then. I hope they win the toss, its quite crucial to bat first in Mumbai.

Abid Nabi is a genuine fast bowler
yesterday some video futtage in the news showed that greg chappel was taking keen interest in him and was coaching him in the nets
India's latest fast bowling hope
his interview

'I am a speed guy' - Abid Nabi

March 2006

Abid Nabi, the 20-year-old fast bowler from Sonwar in Kashmir, has been called up by the Indian team management to bowl at the nets in Mohali. He bowled to VVS Laxman in the nets today and won his appreciation.

"I bowled at him [Laxman] in the nets and he praised the kind of speed I worked up as well as my swing," the 6 feet 2 inches tall youngster told PTI. Nabi, who said he got a call from Bhupinder Singh Senior, one of the national selectors, on Thursday, is currently working on his physical fitness and running techniques under the guidance of Greg Chappell, Ian Frazer, the bio-mechanist, and Gregory Allen King, the trainer. "The focus is on my physical fitness and I am also looking to improve my line and length," Nabi said.

Nabi, who believes speed is his biggest asset, said he was busy with his engagements for North Zone in the Deodhar Trophy when he got the call. "I was told that Chappell and Rahul Dravid wanted me here. Naturally, I was very thrilled as it has been my dream to play for the national team," said Nabi, who considers Kapil Dev his idol. "I have no qualms in saying I am a speed guy. Like Shoaib [Akhtar] and Brett Lee, I also want to touch the 100 miles per hour mark."

Nabi revealed that initially he thought he was being considered for the Test squad but understood that perhaps it was too early for him to graduate to that level. "I have been touching 140 km per hour regularly in the domestic circuit but I know I lack in discipline. I tend to get wayward and I am working hard on it. What is encouraging and a source of constant motivation for me is the fact that the current team management believes in giving chances to youngsters," he said.

MUFC1987 said:
What's the obsession with 'Fast' bowlers for? The two best pace bowlers in both forms of the game over the last 5 years are Shaun Pollock & Glenn McGrath, neither of which can be described as 'fast'.
well bowlers got to have something , either extra pace or accuracy
accuracy takes a lot of wickets (magrath)
and speed plays mind games & retires a lot of batsman hurt (S.Akther):D
well indians need a genuine fast bowler as they hav one of the best batting linups of the world and with it they will have a strenghtened bowling linup...

but accuracy is of prime importance.Someone like Javagal srinath,Chaminda Vaas can be very effective.

a genuine fast bowler at one end keeps the batsman guessing with his pace... when you have genuine pace at one end, it gives the batsmen lesser time to react and this can work to the bowling team's favor on dead wickets.

MY England X1 for Tomorrow- C'mon Barmy Army

Cook
Strauss
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Jones
Blackwell
Hoggard
Anderson
Panesar

It's all or nothing for England tomorrow. if we get to bat first we must make 400-500. Then have a real go with our spinners Monty and Blackwell. Also hopefully the ball will reverse for Fred and Hoggy. I'm hoping Jimmy plays instead of Plunkett

I wish India bat first tomorrow. Its been boring to see England bat first always! If India bat first, it might promise to be a great opening day. Sehwag has slid back to form and must be raring to have a go at England!

Want to see a hundred badly from our Little Master! Its been a long long time since we saw a test hundred from him (his last was his 35th record one against SL).

I just wish India dominate the whole test match and win it in a crushing manner! Would put them in great stead for the ODI's.

On a side note, does Bengal have any more matches to play before the team for the ODI's is announced? I still feel Ganguly can stand a chance for the ODI squad!

Last edited:
Yes, India too would be hoping to crush the English to show that they are not a sympathetic team when it comes to winning. It will also beg the question of how much better an English team that was beaten in Pakistan and India really are, outside of home and home-like conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread