• Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
R.p Singh

Is He The Forgotten Man He Is Suppose To Have Amazing Speed. I Would Want To See Him. Since The England Side Is Weak(even More Now No Harmison) India Can Play It's Youngsters To Give Them Experiance And Confidence And Still Come On Top.

maniac said:
Is He The Forgotten Man He Is Suppose To Have Amazing Speed. I Would Want To See Him. Since The England Side Is Weak(even More Now No Harmison) India Can Play It's Youngsters To Give Them Experiance And Confidence And Still Come On Top.

NO, Mate he bowls at 130-135 km/hr if the selectors wanted to bring some body they should bring vrv singh in place of shreesanth and abid nabi in place of r.p singh as vrv singh,abid nabi are seam bowlers and bowl around 90 miles
india could do with mediocre talents like shreesanth and r.p singh as backup not 1st team bowlers if they have to be no 1 side

Cricket_god said:
NO, Mate he bowls at 130-135 km/hr if the selectors wanted to bring some body they should bring vrv singh in place of shreesanth and abid nabi in place of r.p singh as vrv singh,abid nabi are seam bowlers and bowl around 90 miles
india could do with mediocre talents like shreesanth and r.p singh as backup not 1st team bowlers if they have to be no 1 side

lol my bad i got the singh's mixed up. soon the indian team should be called the singh team cause half of them will be singh's :cool:

maniac said:
lol my bad i got the singh's mixed up. soon the indian team should be called the singh team cause half of them will be singh's :cool:

LOL !!

btw, i have always been keen to know why people(esp asians) want to change
their name after going abroad ???

e.g - Mudhsardan(?) panesar = MONTY panesar ;)
there are lot of examples like this..but cant really think of it right now :p

hope the indian migrants would know about this :)

jk16_4 said:
btw, i have always been keen to know why people(esp asians) want to change
their name after going abroad ???

e.g - Mudhsardan(?) panesar = MONTY panesar ;)
there are lot of examples like this..but cant really think of it right now :p

hope the indian migrants would know about this :)

Monty is just a nickname as far as I recall.

Machanperu Bala said:
Ronny, I would highly disagree with you on a couple of issues.

1. Agarkar has been living on borrowed time until this moment. Zaheer Khan is far more effective than him. If agarkar is picked over Zaheer, then the selectors must have cogs in their mind. And what is the last time we have seen some big runs from the high and mighty bat of Agarkar? I wouldn't consider the 40 ball 70 he scored in the Deodar trophy against South Zone. Scoring against pedestrian attacks that consisited of trundlers like Somasetty Suresh, Balachandra Akhil and Vinay Kumar is no big deal. His bowlingfigures for the match was 2 for 50odd in 6 overs.

2. Sreesanth is far more effective with the older ball, when it starts to reverse. Ask Kevin Pietersen, Matty Hoggard or Shoaib Malik. He also picked up his pace and hit his 137s in the second spell, in which he removed Pietersen. Also RP Singh has the potential to bowl at 140s. He is just 20. Give him a couple of years and he will be the first Left Arm Fast bowler of this era.

Also my squad for the ODI series would be

Batsmen

Sehwag,Tendulkar,Dravid,Raina,Yuvraj,Kaif, Venugopal Rao

Keeper

Dhoni

All Rounders

Pathan,Powar

Bowlers

Sreesanth, Kumble, Munaf, RP Singh, Kartik

Sorry mate you are overly optimistic when you say rp singh will bowl at 140 he is basically a medium pacer with a high arm action he does not have the physical gift to bowl fast and dennis lilee has also told he will never be a fast bowler due to his body physic.Regarding shreesanth he is a also a medium pacer who tries to swing the ball .both of them are average talents if you compare them to vrv singh who is 6foot3"inches tall and hits the deck and gets high bounce at 90 miles and abid nabi who is 6foot 2"inches and also hits the deck hard and bowls at 147 km/hr{fastest}.i think greg chappel is going to give chances to both abid nabi and vrv singh in the odi series and keep the average talents like rp singh and shreesanth as backup they do not have the capability to lead a attack.

check out vikram singh domestic stats-http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/35281.html

and abid nabi-http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/26504.html

and venugopal rao can,t bat against pace he looks terrified and does not have time while facing the quickies i am sure he is never going to be selected

Last edited:
Sorry to burst your bubble cricket God, but R.P.Singh has already recorded speeds of 140+ in the ODIs against Sri Lanka. And he was consistantly above 135 in Pakistan. Greg Chappel has pinned his hopes on RP to be a fast bowler in 2 to 3 years. He needs to improve his physique first.

Also Monty's full name is Mudhshuden Singh Panesar. Maybe it was a nick name given by his pommie friends who couldn't pronounce his full name, which has stuck.

Machanperu Bala said:
Sorry to burst your bubble cricket God, but R.P.Singh has already recorded speeds of 140+ in the ODIs against Sri Lanka. And he was consistantly above 135 in Pakistan. Greg Chappel has pinned his hopes on RP to be a fast bowler in 2 to 3 years. He needs to improve his physique first.

Also Monty's full name is Mudhshuden Singh Panesar. Maybe it was a nick name given by his pommie friends who couldn't pronounce his full name, which has stuck.

come on mate get your facts right fast i also saw the srilanka odi when he touched 142 km/hr but after that in pakistan he was bowling in 125-130 in the tests and 130-135 in the odis he is never going to be a fast bowler .i think dennis lilee knows more about fast bowling than chappel and their has being no comments from chappel regarding rp singh that was a newchannel gimmick i think

What's the obsession with 'Fast' bowlers for? The two best pace bowlers in both forms of the game over the last 5 years are Shaun Pollock & Glenn McGrath, neither of which can be described as 'fast'.

What's the obsession with 'Fast' bowlers for?

There is a definite need for raw pace in world cricket, particularly in India and on sub-continental pitches which don't assist the seamers with lateral movement.

Even the greats you mentioned, McGrath and Pollock, require a little bit of help from the pitch. They cannot always be effective on flat surfaces. Their greatest strength though is accuracy and not everybody can be as accurate as them, since the margin of error at their pace is so small.

McGrath used to bowl in the 140 kph range in his early days and even now clocks well above 130 kph fairly regularly.

I think the problem with Indian seamers is that most of our seam bowlers bowl in the mid 120 kph (as average) which simply does not cut it at the international level. Pollock can bowl at that speed because (a) Pitches in SA suit his kind of bowling and (b) his accuracy is so good and (c) he is such a veteran and has developed so many variations over the years.

I think the new crop of Indian bowlers certainly need to be in the 135-145 range because they simply cannot hope to become McGraths or Pollocks very early in their career nor should they attempt to do that. You can always slow down later, but they should work on pace because that's what beats batsmen on flat pitches.

MUFC1987 said:
What's the obsession with 'Fast' bowlers for? The two best pace bowlers in both forms of the game over the last 5 years are Shaun Pollock & Glenn McGrath, neither of which can be described as 'fast'.

good point.

ronny_kingsley said:
I havent seen anything special from Sreesanth yet.Dont know why you guys want him in the team.He is not quick by any stretch of imagination.His average speed in Nagpur was 132 kmh compared to 128 from Pathan's and 138 of Munaf (in Mohali).Sreesanth didnt look like picking up wickets all the time ,infact just with the new ball.His bowling against the tail was highly ineffective.But he still is a better option than RP Singh.

Harbhajan might well play this Mumbai Test as one of his last international matches for some time.If he clicks he clings on but if he does not Powar will surely get a look in.

Laxman will surely come back.

ODI selctions are to take place soon.Any guesses in the team composition.

My pick :

7 batsman,7 bowler and MSD will constitue the team.

Sachin,Sehwag,Dravid,Yuvraj,Kaif,Raina,Rao/Jaffer/Gambhir.

Pathan,Munaf,RP,SreeSanth,Powar,Harbhajan/Chawla,Agarkar(considering Chappels faith in him & fielding and batting securities).

WHat would your team be ????

I wish India goes in with 5 bowlers. With Harmison out, England have to rely heavily on Flintoff to bounce our batsmen out. The wicket is said to assist bounce mostly on day 1. from day 2, its taking spin. its going to be a very good batting wicket for the first three days. so india can be well served enough with 5 batsmen along with dhoni and pathan.

regarding the odi team, i agree with ur first 6 batsmen.. for the 7th, i hope ganguly can be considered. he has hit a 89* and has led bengal to a win over punjab where vrv singh picked 4 wickets.

well i know its highly unlikely that ganguly might be selected (only 2-3% chance) but he has proved himself that he is still fit enough for ODI cricket.

kumble should make a comeback to the odi team (in place of powar or harbhajan as mentioned in your above line up) and vrv should be selected in place of ajit agarkar!

harishankar said:
I think his confidence is pretty low as it is. A chance to play First Class cricket should get him back to form. You shouldn't allow or expect a player, however great he may be, to regain long lost form in International cricket. It's too much of a risk to expect Bhajji to suddenly turn tables and perform beautifully in the last test.

Harbhajan hasn't exactly been in great form for an extended period now. He's nowhere close to his best...

Yeah, but you cant drop him midway during a series. Let the final test get over, he can then get back to domestic cricket, to regain his lost form. there have been many people who have made such comebacks!

ronny_kingsley said:
Amusing fact that Chawla has played just 10 FC and 4 List-A matches prior to the Mohali Test.How did the selectors found about this guys talent when they took so long to give Munaf Patel (leading wicket taker in Ranji season) a chance to be even in the squad.

Thats because in the past few years, India's pace bowling department has been booming while its spin department has been quite bare after Kumble and Harbhajan. And with Chawla showing the promise of being the next big thing after Kumble and Harbhajan, he was given the chance early!

maniac said:

Is that sarcasm? RP Singh has amazing speed? When? Did I miss his bowling?

Machanperu Bala said:

His nickname would've been given by the English not the pommies, He's yet to play in Australia or vs Australia.

RP did touch 140. He is more effective with the new ball and gets really good bounce.
Sreesanth did too, and when he is warmed up is over 80 MPH consistantly. More importantly, he doesn't slow down off the pitch as much as other bowlers, making him quicker onto the batters than others. He is very good with the new ball and is effective against the tail and gets reverse swing. Very aggressive too, not afraid to try a bouncer (His is the best of the current 4) or a yorker or a slower ball.
Munaf is quite quick. We all know that. Gets amazing reverse swing.
Pathan is our best new-ball bowler.
Agarkar is a better allround player than Khan. He swings the new ball, reverses the old one, can bat fairly well when he puts his mind into it, and is a much better fielder. He has no discipline problems and is always willing to wrok hard. Any coach, and skipper in that matter, would prefer him over Zaheer. Hence he has been playing for so long. And his ODI record would be better -he is second in the alltime list of unluckiest ODI bowlers in terms of percentage of his deleviries which have beat the bat/been dropped/LBW appeals turned down.

Hope this settles this now getting boring arguement over our seamers. They are all very good and special in their own way. Feel free to add anything you want

Sureshot said:
His nickname would've been given by the English not the pommies, He's yet to play in Australia or vs Australia.
Lol, some people still don't realize what Pommies actually means :D
And if I were him I'd take a nick name to, Indian or not. Imagine everyone calling you Mudhshuden. The keeper wouldn't even bother. Even Harbahajan has a nick name! (Bhajji)

Users who are viewing this thread