• Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
newzolt said:
Doesn't that sound a bit harsh on Sachin considering the situation of the match and he was just trying to set himself in.Let's not forget that this is a test match and you can't expect a new batsman at crease to take risks in the begining when there is no need to do so.If he gets going he always increases the rate of scoring in the later part of his innings and that is absolutely correct in a test match.
I am not defending his present performance but then we do not have a player to replace Sachin as yet.Do we?

Definitely!

I feel Sachin can consider concentrating on a single form of the game to prolong his playing career. He wants to play the WC 2007. He has to, and I feel he can concentrate on one day cricket. ODI cricket is as much important as test cricket and is more popular than test cricket. Till the World Cup, Sachin can concentrate on ODI's and then he can revert back to test cricket retiring permanently from the ODI's.

newzolt said:
Exactly! and this just adds to the dissapointment.And if we go by the same logic we should also know that as kabbadi is to Indians cricket is to Brits who had developed this game!

compare the present Indian team to the previous Indian teams and not many have fared better than the present one.The comparable ones include 83' world cup team and the team under Ganguly.
Also remember the fact that this team is presently in a transition phase and you'd be seeing the results in 2007 world cup.So the fans need to be patient and support the team in their good as well as not so good times.
Incidences like booing on the home ground just nullifies the home advantage..it may be for whatever reason..The recent eg. was against S.Africa at Eden Gardens.These things are just increasing the adverse conditions for the players.

People now know a lot about the inner happenings in Indian cricket. And the media has become more vociferous abt Indian cricket. Thats why we see things like Eden Gardens booing for the whole team, etc. But booing on Sachin is definitely a stupid thing. Come on man, he is been a great star for india and he has been a force that has kept Indian cricket high on the popularity charts for a long time. He has rarely ceased to entertain the Indian fans. And if they forget all that and boo him, they its nonsense. Just because he is through a bad form, you cant boo him like that. Now dont say cricket is India's passion and people are entitled to show their reactions. Its you guys who have made cricket such a passion. Its not an excuse to boo a superstar like that!

Without Sachin Tendulkar, I am sure Indian cricket wouldnt have been as popular as it is now! Yes, he hasnt played those match winning innings often, but he has played some remarkable innings and has many times saved India from some serious embarassement.

I'm expecting centuries from Dravid and Yuvraj in order for India to come back in this game. They need to take India close to 300 first and then even any of them gets out; Dhoni and Pathan will do the rest. It'll be good if India get close to the England total.

Its important for England that they continue to put pressure on the Indian batsmen. We dont want a repeat of the first test, when Kumble and the tail frustated the England bowlers. I think Freddie should bowl a lot of overs early on, as he can really put the opposition batsmen on the backfoot. If England had Simon Jones, it would have been even better, since the duo could really make life hard for the Indian batsmen. But Hoggard has done a good job himself, and hopefully he'll manage to get the dangerman Rahul Dravid as well.

I know its a bit too early to say, but I think England have done a good job in this tour so far, under the given circumstances. A drawn series would be a great achievement for Freddie and his boys.

With Dravid and Yuvraj looking set, and Dhoni and Pathan to come, all India really need to do is get settled early. As long as Dravid settles himself in and stones up one end, I think the other players can bat around him. Yuvraj, Dhoni and Pathan are all aggressive strokemakers and can keep the runs flowing. Kumble can stay at the crease for long periods of time, if required. Harbhajan is a hit-and-miss sorta batsman and Munaf is supposedly a slogger. But, I think Dravid holds the key. England need to pick up at least one wicket early to really dig a hole into the Indian batting line-up.

It started again..booing the players.

It is one of the most ridiculous things to happen in recent past for Indian cricket. The problem lies on both sides, though.

Initially, cricket was supposed to be nothing more than entertainment. Gradually, along with film industry, it gained huge popularity, and people started calling themselves "fans".

Sachin has been the stand out performer of Indian cricket, ever! Put history aside, he's still in decent form. 5 test debacle is worrying, but not to a level where we damage his confidence.

For people who boo him...and the critics:
Its very easy for us, to sit from here, and criticize the players. Sachin is neither your friend, nor your brother nor your father. He isn't even your neighbour. He is playing his game, doing his job....why don't we do our job.

Lets take a student, he doesn't get 100% in everything, everytime. Scoring a 100 in a test is on par to that. When we don't do our tasks properly, why on earth are we talking about the players? criticizing them?
Are we being forced to watch cricket? NO. We watch cricket because we like the game. There are constraints, limits, and we shouldn't cross them.

Sachin is not a super human, he is a mere mortal, like you, me, and everyone else. Why sachin, Ganguly, Laxman, every player out there are just mortals.

If you really really want to criticize players, why don't you/we play the game first. Score 34 test hundreds, 39 ODI hundreds, and then give tips/advice to Sachin.
Or atleast, perform whatever you are doing, to the highest ability.

This topic is not going to end here. Now its sachin. When he scores a 100 sometime, people will increase his status agian. When Dravid or Dhoni fail in the future, we starting banging them.

How long will this go? Cricketers are not everything. Its the same as doctors performing operations, lawyers arguing in the courts, CA's doing their job, Cops performing their options....a beggar begging for money. They're just people, and let them remain one.

We need a change, especially in India, where we consider cricketers and film stars as gods, may be even more. It is time..we realize that, cricket and films are just professions, just like medicine, law, accounting etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
That was a big post...sorry for that, but it just gets to my nerve..when people start to put down others..just because they didn't like the performance. Its simple, If you have the right to talk about Sachin, I have the right to talk about you.

Coming back to the series,
Yuvraj looked in good touch, against the spinner. Now its upto them to get India out to safety. I hope its going to be a good day, and it might well decide the outcome of the game.

sohummisra said:
With Dravid and Yuvraj looking set, and Dhoni and Pathan to come, all India really need to do is get settled early. As long as Dravid settles himself in and stones up one end, I think the other players can bat around him. Yuvraj, Dhoni and Pathan are all aggressive strokemakers and can keep the runs flowing. Kumble can stay at the crease for long periods of time, if required. Harbhajan is a hit-and-miss sorta batsman and Munaf is supposedly a slogger. But, I think Dravid holds the key. England need to pick up at least one wicket early to really dig a hole into the Indian batting line-up.

Nah, I wouldnt say we needed to pick up a wicket earlier. It would help but the main aim is to get India out on the 3rd day, hopefully with a lead at least of 80.

cricket_lover said:
It started again..booing the players.

It is one of the most ridiculous things to happen in recent past for Indian cricket. The problem lies on both sides, though.

Initially, cricket was supposed to be nothing more than entertainment. Gradually, along with film industry, it gained huge popularity, and people started calling themselves "fans".

Sachin has been the stand out performer of Indian cricket, ever! Put history aside, he's still in decent form. 5 test debacle is worrying, but not to a level where we damage his confidence.

For people who boo him...and the critics:
Its very easy for us, to sit from here, and criticize the players. Sachin is neither your friend, nor your brother nor your father. He isn't even your neighbour. He is playing his game, doing his job....why don't we do our job.

Lets take a student, he doesn't get 100% in everything, everytime. Scoring a 100 in a test is on par to that. When we don't do our tasks properly, why on earth are we talking about the players? criticizing them?
Are we being forced to watch cricket? NO. We watch cricket because we like the game. There are constraints, limits, and we shouldn't cross them.

Sachin is not a super human, he is a mere mortal, like you, me, and everyone else. Why sachin, Ganguly, Laxman, every player out there are just mortals.

If you really really want to criticize players, why don't you/we play the game first. Score 34 test hundreds, 39 ODI hundreds, and then give tips/advice to Sachin.
Or atleast, perform whatever you are doing, to the highest ability.

This topic is not going to end here. Now its sachin. When he scores a 100 sometime, people will increase his status agian. When Dravid or Dhoni fail in the future, we starting banging them.

How long will this go? Cricketers are not everything. Its the same as doctors performing operations, lawyers arguing in the courts, CA's doing their job, Cops performing their options....a beggar begging for money. They're just people, and let them remain one.

We need a change, especially in India, where we consider cricketers and film stars as gods, may be even more. It is time..we realize that, cricket and films are just professions, just like medicine, law, accounting etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
That was a big post...sorry for that, but it just gets to my nerve..when people start to put down others..just because they didn't like the performance. Its simple, If you have the right to talk about Sachin, I have the right to talk about you.

Coming back to the series,
Yuvraj looked in good touch, against the spinner. Now its upto them to get India out to safety. I hope its going to be a good day, and it might well decide the outcome of the game.
Only just one thing to say to you, I work because I have responsibility to my partner and my family hence they can criticise my ways and nobody else. But these so called sportspersons work for a country and are accountable for their successes or failures to whole nation otherwise stop calling themselves Indian team, just BCCI XI is enough.

m_vaughan said:
Its important for England that they continue to put pressure on the Indian batsmen. We dont want a repeat of the first test, when Kumble and the tail frustated the England bowlers. I think Freddie should bowl a lot of overs early on, as he can really put the opposition batsmen on the backfoot. If England had Simon Jones, it would have been even better, since the duo could really make life hard for the Indian batsmen. But Hoggard has done a good job himself, and hopefully he'll manage to get the dangerman Rahul Dravid as well.

I know its a bit too early to say, but I think England have done a good job in this tour so far, under the given circumstances. A drawn series would be a great achievement for Freddie and his boys.

Agreed. England have provided a good tough fight during this tour and have dominated on various occasions!

sohummisra said:

I think we can bat till Harbhajan. The wicket is still good for batting. It has not deteriorated that much and the batsmen still can score runs if they get set in the middle. So people like Dhoni and Harbhajan too should get set and then play their shots. Should be an interesting day's play for sure

I m thinking Yuvi will crack one today and Dravid as usual as the pitch is opening up for shot-play. I m also looking forward to Dhoni having a crack at them as he is also due and this situation is tailor-made for him to get us a lead of 50-100.

siddharth2002 said:
Only just one thing to say to you, I work because I have responsibility to my partner and my family hence they can criticise my ways and nobody else. But these so called sportspersons work for a country and are accountable for their successes or failures to whole nation otherwise stop calling themselves Indian team, just BCCI XI is enough.

But you have to know how tough the job of 'cricket' is! Its a high level very demanding job and that too with the adulation, the brickbats, the cheering, the booing bring with yoU!

Seriously, if India lose to England in a World Cup, does it mean the India, the country is inferior to England? If NO, then why should the players be accountable for their successes and failures? Cricket was not started to replace wars or for nations to show off their supremacy over each other. Sports are meant for just one thing - Entertainment!

JamesyJames3 said:
Nah, I wouldnt say we needed to pick up a wicket earlier. It would help but the main aim is to get India out on the 3rd day, hopefully with a lead at least of 80.

Any lead would be very good for England. They just need to make sure India dont level the scores or take a lead. 140-150 will most probably be defendable on this pitch on the final day

saisrini80 said:
But you have to know how tough the job of 'cricket' is! Its a high level very demanding job and that too with the adulation, the brickbats, the cheering, the booing bring with yoU!

Seriously, if India lose to England in a World Cup, does it mean the India, the country is inferior to England? If NO, then why should the players be accountable for their successes and failures? Cricket was not started to replace wars or for nations to show off their supremacy over each other. Sports are meant for just one thing - Entertainment!

Any lead would be very good for England. They just need to make sure India dont level the scores or take a lead. 140-150 will most probably be defendable on this pitch on the final day
Oh that was just to reply to that guy above cause its true afterall, for me honestly all these boos etc. simply makes Cricket more spicy for me and I'll certainly take it and has experienced it happening at the grounds here too.

In fact an incident comes to mind, When India was here before the world cup, we went to see the game at Basin reserve. Harbhajan took a wicket and came to boundary, we clapped and congratulated him for it and funnily enough he gave us a big stare with big eyes and turned. Nehra also came and we said something nice but he just did the same. Last year Aus were here and we were there agian and ended up calling calling Mcgrath and few hand-shakes and chatted for about 5 minutes.

Last edited:
siddharth2002 said:
Oh that was just to reply to that guy above cause its true afterall, for me honestly all these boos etc. simply makes Cricket more spicy for me and I'll certainly take it and has experienced it happening at the grounds here too.

whats the point in booing though? You can only point at other's mistakes...when we do our job well. If people in the stands are so good...why don't they play?

Tendulkar certainly did for most part, he failed for the last 10 innings.
Its like, you plant a tree, nourish it with fertilizers, and water...and when it grows, you destroy the tree. Same thing with these cricketers...we raise them..into stars and we put them down, and the benefit? very little.

cricket_lover said:
whats the point in booing though? You can only point at other's mistakes...when we do our job well. If people in the stands are so good...why don't they play?

Tendulkar certainly did for most part, he failed for the last 10 innings.
Its like, you plant a tree, nourish it with fertilizers, and water...and when it grows, you destroy the tree. Same thing with these cricketers...we raise them..into stars and we put them down, and the benefit? very little.
Please exclude me from the "we".:p

siddharth2002 said:
In fact an incident comes to mind, When India was here before the world cup, we went to see the game at Basin reserve. Harbhajan took a wicket and came to boundary, we clapped and congratulated him for it and funnily enough he gave us a big stare with big eyes and turned. Nehra also came and we said something nice but he just did the same. Last year Aus were here and we were there agian and ended up calling calling Mcgrath and few hand-shakes and chatted for about 5 minutes.

What is the point??

Maybe harbhajan and Nehra could not get your accent.

Users who are viewing this thread