Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
Sohummisra, you are forgetting my mammoth post from earlier in the thread explaining why England really aren't playing this series with winning it as their main aim.

They are still trying to find their 5th bowler, so that meant giving Mahmood and Plunkett a bowl in the last 10 to see how they handled the pressure situation. They know what Jimmy and Freddie can do, so instead of doing what might serve best at the moment, they did what answers most questions regarding the world cup.

It is why they have continued to play 2 keepers, and still refused to play the 2nd spinner.

That was a huge mauling of the English bowlers by Yuvraj and Raina

Now I have a sneaky feeling Kaif might be saved by the consistency of Raina and the continued brilliance of the Indian batsmen in that some one or the other comes and rescues the team and takes them to great positions! May be the team management might allow Kaif to be the side for the rest of the series and give him more time! Same with Sehwag. I think Gambhir still will feel very tense!

England gotta pull off a miracle here to win this! England dont have class spinners like Harbhajan and the form of Powar is frightening for them. I dont see them winning here unless something mad happens among the Indians here at Goa!

Geez when the English said they sucked in ODIs I didn't think they were this bad. I take they play their best against us, and then go back to normal players against the rest of the teams.

I think they are really missing Hoggard as he was one of the best bowlers during the test series.

It was a wonderful effort! a 73 ball hundred on this pitch is really awesome! Raina did the anchor role initially, and then got loose. 294 is a big one, England will now have to rely on their top order sans Pieterson.

aussie1st said:
Geez when the English said they sucked in ODIs I didn't think they were this bad. I take they play their best against us, and then go back to normal players against the rest of the teams.

I think they are really missing Hoggard as he was one of the best bowlers during the test series.

Not sure why I bothered posting the mammoth post about Englands current underachievements in India, noone seems to have read it lol

I'll make it shorter and simpler -

This is Englands Odi World Cup side -

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Jones/Prior
Blackwell/Giles
Harmison
Jones
Anderson/Plunkett/Ali/Mahmood

Now since for this game alone, 6 of those players are currently at home, they have taken the experimentation approach. Ie, the result in this series really doesn't matter, so despite the fact that it makes sense for this series to play 2 spinners and only 1 wicketkeeper they have decided to take the approach that only the World Cup matters.

So with that being their mindset, they have played the 3/4 bowlers all vying for the final bowling spot, and tried to give them as many overs as possible.

They have played both Prior and Jones to see which one earns the spot more through their batting.

They have NOT played a 2nd spinner because in the West Indies they will not play a 2nd spinner.

End of the day, for right or wrong, they are treating this series as practice against quality opponents.

saisrini80 said:
Now I have a sneaky feeling Kaif might be saved by the consistency of Raina and the continued brilliance of the Indian batsmen in that some one or the other comes and rescues the team and takes them to great positions! May be the team management might allow Kaif to be the side for the rest of the series and give him more time! Same with Sehwag. I think Gambhir still will feel very tense!
I would rather have Gambhir in my team. He atleast has it in him to play some audacious strokes. Not to say he might pull in one or two. But Kaif's approach is more questionable given his form. He does not know whether to attack or to defend and plays half baked shots. Venugopal Rao should be given a run. Also I would like to have a look at Robin Uthappa and Vidyut Sivaramakrishnan, given Sehwag's absurd form.

great game from Yuvraj and Raina.I am 100% sure India will win the Match and go the series 3-0 up.

Yes, Gambhir's superior footwork will help him combat the moving ball, which has been Sehwag's nemesis for a long time now. Gambhir, like Kaif, will need the right application at the crease.

The team for next ODI will be interesting.

England are not totally out..of this ODI. They will be giving a fight, but with India going in with 5 bowlers, it'll always be a difficult task for them.

puddleduck said:
Not sure why I bothered posting the mammoth post about Englands current underachievements in India, noone seems to have read it lol

I'll make it shorter and simpler -

This is Englands Odi World Cup side -

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Jones/Prior
Blackwell/Giles
Harmison
Jones
Anderson/Plunkett/Ali/Mahmood

Now since for this game alone, 6 of those players are currently at home, they have taken the experimentation approach. Ie, the result in this series really doesn't matter, so despite the fact that it makes sense for this series to play 2 spinners and only 1 wicketkeeper they have decided to take the approach that only the World Cup matters.

So with that being their mindset, they have played the 3/4 bowlers all vying for the final bowling spot, and tried to give them as many overs as possible.

They have played both Prior and Jones to see which one earns the spot more through their batting.

They have NOT played a 2nd spinner because in the West Indies they will not play a 2nd spinner.

End of the day, for right or wrong, they are treating this series as practice against quality opponents.
Come on. This is ridiculous. You just cannot bill all your failures with the experimentation tag. Already they have been mauled by Pakistan and are on the verge of one here. Imagine what would be the confidence level of the players would be when they go into the world cup having lost 10 ODIS. (6-1 to India! High hopes on my part. ) Its high time England cut this bullcrap and get serious about their game or their supporters started to look at some other reason.

Edit: and oh! Strauss is a goner.

Off Topic Question: Why does the cricinfo scorecard/commentary layout always alternate between the old and the recent one?

Users who are viewing this thread