• Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
rituraj said:
This english team mentality isnt right. After winning ashes, they think all the other series are of zero value. They are just turning up & without any intention of fight or ambition. I will also blame english public, who think that ashes is all imp & other series are useless. Instead of building of ashes success, they are going backwards bigtime.

Its the posts like this that make me pull my hair out. They had a blip in Pakistan where most of their squad had no experience playing in the sub-continent, then after throwing away the first test they never recovered and were outplayed for the next 2 tests.

Then in India they got a highly credible drawn test series with India despite missing a few key players. Now in their weaker format the odis, with just as many players missing so being forced to experiment they are getting thumped by a very good odi side.

How on earth do they think other series have "zero value" or that they are going backwards bigtime?

IF they struggle at home to Sri Lanka and Pakistan in the tests this summer than fair enough you have a point, but at the moment you are just a knee-jerk reaction fan. They have lost 1 test series in 2 1/2 years, and have won every home series, that for me is more than adequate, I would gladly see England bottom of the Odi pile if that meant being top of the test pile. That is just my opinion though.

Last edited:
I think some English fans are missing the bigger picture. The bigger picture is this: Do England want to be a force in the world cup in 2007 or not?

I don't think the English management thinks of concentrating only in one form of the game at the cost of the other. So I think this excuse of "not having the best side in ODI cricket" is a lot of hot air.

After all, it's not India's problem that so many English players are down with illness or injured or back home. India have to play whichever side is given to them.

harishankar said:
I think some English fans are missing the bigger picture. The bigger picture is this: Do England want to be a force in the world cup in 2007 or not?

I don't think the English management thinks of concentrating only in one form of the game at the cost of the other. So I think this excuse of "not having the best side in ODI cricket" is a lot of hot air.

After all, it's not India's problem that so many English players are down with illness or injured or back home. India have to play whichever side is given to them.

1. Yes, and at the moment experimenting to try and find a winning team.

2. Pshhhh

3.???? - Isn't that REALLY obvious!

Drewska said:
That's the problem though, Tests are getting lesser and ODI's increasing. 4 tests and 5 odi's would be good, but 3 and 7 is just stupid.

BCCI make the most out of the latter though and that is only what they care about.

Machanperu Bala said:
Its highly ironic that England (where their fans care more about tests, or rather should I say only about tests) are the pioneers behind twenty/20 (internationals or not!) whereas countries like India and Pakistan are pretty much satisfied with the ODIs.

20-20 was introduced to help stabilise the financial state of many counties and introduce more people to the sport.

rituraj said:
This english team mentality isnt right. After winning ashes, they think all the other series are of zero value. They are just turning up & without any intention of fight or ambition. I will also blame english public, who think that ashes is all imp & other series are useless. Instead of building of ashes success, they are going backwards bigtime.

Fletcher said a Series win in India would be as big maybe a bigger achievement than beating Australia at home, I for one agree with him.

We came fairly close to doing so with quite a depleted side.

Flintoff on the beach was just a suggestion on the whole approach to England 'expirement' thing.if he wants to go home to be with his baby ..by all means but that would risk public ire hence the easier option of staying back and resting a game

ronny_kingsley said:
There is a saying in Hindi that "Thali Ka Baingan wahi mud jaata hai jaha thali mude"

Same is the case with you mate.You seem to change your sign just every match day depending on who MOM is.

Also may I ask why should Kaif and Sehwag be persisted with and Agarkar dropped even after a good performance ?????

Well mate, changing my sign and avatar is completely under my control, and there is no law in Planetcricket that prohibits me from doing it. I am doing it for my own satisfaction.

When I put Kaif and Sehwag in my team, does it mean I feel they should be persisted with? I mean, the team has been selected, your and my opinions are of no use. The selectors are the people who select the teams. And once the team was selected, I was talking abt the best XI from that combination selected. Dont I have the right to do that? And even though Agarkar is still in that squad, he was played because of Gambhir's poor run and the fact that India did not have any other opener. I dont see what the reason is behind not playing Venugopal Rao and also playing an extra bowler in Agarkar but it worked in the sense that we won (may be he had an extra bowler to reduce the workload between bowlers in the hot 'n humid Goa)!

The team I posted was the best XI that I feel can do the job for India at Cochin!

sohummisra said:
I think Gambhir being dropped for Uthappa was slightly unfair. Gambhir did look like getting runs, unlike Sehwag. If they had to change someone, they should have changed Sehwag. I, too, am starting to worry about Sehwag. Earlier he used to at least get into the 30's before getting out. Now he is hardly reaching 20. Hopefully he's got a big innings under his belt this series.

I prefer test cricket, myself, though that may have something to do with India's test revival under Ganguly. Now it's seeming to fall apart, if only slightly, and I don't know what the future will hold for my preference. :) Fair enough that England are playing highly imbalanced sides, but I still think that they should play the best team they can field. If they are so desperate to find their fifth bowler they might as well play all the bowlers in the squad. And why write off Hoggard as the fifth bowler?

Many cricketers have come to India and had their careers revived. One prime example is Matthew Hayden's tour of 2001.

I too agree. Test cricket is of prime importance, even though ODI's are not way behind in importance level. We need to immediately address our test form. West Indies should provide a good opportunity!

Agarkar deserves a sopt. I've said it time and time agian. A very good bowler-our best death bowler by far, decent bat, good fielder, and always a honest trier.
He is also now adapted himself to any type of surface - has good shorter balls for places where there is bounce, wonderful slowerballs, swings the ball, and has become more accurate and economical.

ZoraxDoom said:
Agarkar deserves a sopt. I've said it time and time agian. A very good bowler-our best death bowler by far, decent bat, good fielder, and always a honest trier.
He is also now adapted himself to any type of surface - has good shorter balls for places where there is bounce, wonderful slowerballs, swings the ball, and has become more accurate and economical.

I do not agree because their are better bowlers in the domestic circuit like
vrv singh,abid nabi,who have pace and bounce i do agree he makes full use of his limited talent but now we have better bowlers and i think for the last 4 odi india should have brought some fast bowlers to try them.

saisrini80 said:
Well mate, changing my sign and avatar is completely under my control, and there is no law in Planetcricket that prohibits me from doing it. I am doing it for my own satisfaction.

When I put Kaif and Sehwag in my team, does it mean I feel they should be persisted with? I mean, the team has been selected, your and my opinions are of no use. The selectors are the people who select the teams. And once the team was selected, I was talking abt the best XI from that combination selected. Dont I have the right to do that? And even though Agarkar is still in that squad, he was played because of Gambhir's poor run and the fact that India did not have any other opener. I dont see what the reason is behind not playing Venugopal Rao and also playing an extra bowler in Agarkar but it worked in the sense that we won (may be he had an extra bowler to reduce the workload between bowlers in the hot 'n humid Goa)!

The team I posted was the best XI that I feel can do the job for India at Cochin!

I too agree. Test cricket is of prime importance, even though ODI's are not way behind in importance level. We need to immediately address our test form. West Indies should provide a good opportunity!

Might give Sehwag a chance to get back into form :D

I believe if it was Australia or England then Sehwag won't be in this team.Last 50 matches he has not done anything except for two three innings.You can't always say that this is my natural game and runs will come one day for me.It's been 50 odd matches and we are still waiting for that one match.Why not taking the hard decision and drop him so that he can understand the responsibility and meaning of the India cap he is wearing.Trust me there are lots of good batsman in the Domestic Cricket who are better than some of the players playing in this current Indian team but the problem is they don't get chance to prove themselves bcoz of the players like Sehwag( who is getting so many chances).Gambhir got too many chances.Look at the Australians how many chances does they take to prove themselves.Hussey,Clark are the best example.If Ganguly can be dropped then why not Sehwag.

gaurav_indian said:
I believe if it was Australia or England then Sehwag won't be in this team.Last 50 matches he has not done anything except for two three innings.

Michael Vaughan ;)

Cricket_god said:
I do not agree because their are better bowlers in the domestic circuit like
vrv singh,abid nabi,who have pace and bounce i do agree he makes full use of his limited talent but now we have better bowlers and i think for the last 4 odi india should have brought some fast bowlers to try them.

Let us not get too carried away with these tearaway fast bowlers. We have a good line and length fast bowler in Munaf Patel who can bowl at a good speed and also put it in the right areas (most of the times). He needs more matches to prove himself. If India win the next match, then Pathan can be rested to give Sreesanth more games and Sreesanth can team up with Munaf to see if a new fast bowling combination can be developed. Right now, Sreesanth, Munaf, Irfan are almost confirmed top 3 for India's fast bowling. I dont see that much promise in RP as he is typical Pathan with lesser swing.

I would groom bowlers like VRV and Abid Nabi for the West Indies tour. Agarkar is a decent backup for us, but never a frontline bowler.

Users who are viewing this thread