Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
The only absolute dustbowl I recall, in recent test matches in India, was the one in Mumbai. I think it is upto the non-subcontinental batsmen to learn to play on these sort of pitches (differing conditions that they are). A little application will go a long way, as the Indians showed during a few sessions in that dustbowl...

Anyways, the pitches otherwise have done what they are expected to in the subcontinent--offered minute resistance to bowlers in the first few days, and then spinned with more magnitude from the third day onwards. Except for that Mumbai pitch, of course. And we certainly should not create non-subcontinental pitches under the guise of being sporting--do you see the Aussies and English preparing dustbowls to get acquainted with those conditions?

sohummisra said:
And we certainly should not create non-subcontinental pitches under the guise of being sporting--do you see the Aussies and English preparing dustbowls to get acquainted with those conditions?
Well looking at India's poor record overseas, you might consider that as a reason for it. Australia and England however have a much better record overseas.

I remember in 2003 series between Australia and India, we did get to see a lot of non-Australian pitches.

Stelling: "They'll be dancing in the streets of Huddersfield tonight" :D

sohummisra said:
The only absolute dustbowl I recall, in recent test matches in India, was the one in Mumbai. I think it is upto the non-subcontinental batsmen to learn to play on these sort of pitches (differing conditions that they are). A little application will go a long way, as the Indians showed during a few sessions in that dustbowl...

Anyways, the pitches otherwise have done what they are expected to in the subcontinent--offered minute resistance to bowlers in the first few days, and then spinned with more magnitude from the third day onwards. Except for that Mumbai pitch, of course. And we certainly should not create non-subcontinental pitches under the guise of being sporting--do you see the Aussies and English preparing dustbowls to get acquainted with those conditions?

Can't get dustbowls in England, weather doesn't normally allow it.

Last edited:
overseas for England and Australia include the subcontinent as well. Australia has had reasonable success but England's records are pretty ugly.
For Pak. and INdia..their records are improving overseas and with atleast few sporting wickets, the change may come sooner than later.

http://www.cricketnext.com/news1/next/reutersfeb06/reuters021.htm

Munaf Patel and VRV Singh get a look in for the Board President XI side that will face England in their opening tour warm up game after landing in India!

Wasim Jaffer and Gautam Gambhir are also playing in this warm up match that will see either one of them being drafted into the test squad. I doubt both of them will be selected this time in the squad of 14. So a good test of their skills and we will see who succeeds in filling the opening slot with the unreliable Sehwag!

Note; I am personally elated with the selection of Munaf and VRV for the warm up game! They will get the opportunity and the one who succeeds has a great chance to get into the team! I hope either one of them impress in this match and get into the National squad!

^ i read that, not sure i want him to come back as such. It's time to give the others a go, if they do well, they carry on, if not, gilo comes back. We cant keep relying on Giles for over the wicket, rare wicket spin bowling.

It would be good if Giles could play some part in the tour, he is needed as a spinner and is a decent batsman aswell when we need one. You never know how Udal and Panesar will perform though, my gut feelings think it won't be a good one.

Needed?

No way, selected yes, but we have much better options, as bowlers.

aussie1st said:
cc2003btw said:
^ So they can bowl over after over of leg side deliveries at 95mph? Sure, that sounds fun.
I'm not sure how the cricket system in your country works, but if someone has played enough cricket through the state systems and had success, they definitely won't be bowling "over after over of leg side deliveries."

The following are my replies to the posts in the thread below

http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18076

ZoraxDoom said:
I've seen VRV. Not close to 90 MPH, but definately borderline, consistantly over 145 and nearing 150.
Don't know nothing about Munaf. Hope he is real quick.

Thats great! Thats what is required for an Indian fast bowler! We all have medium pacers so far! We need fast medium bowlers!

He has played domestic cricket for a while! And as he plays more matches, he will gain experience! But I am sure he has the required experience to be blooded in international cricket!

sohummisra said:
Seeing the speed of our current bowlers, I wouldn't mind giving up a bit of accuracy for raw pace

Definitely YES! We can afford a bit of inaccuracy if they manage a much better speed than the current lot!

Cricket_god said:
There is some good news for indian cricket fans who are getting bored of hearing the phrase "indian bowlers have got no pace" .Two of the fastest bowlers in the country have been included for the first warm-up match against england.Both bowlers are said to be bowling at 90 miles pr/hr.so hope that they run through the english batting order for them to earn the indian test cap.

I too hope they succeed against the England team and earn a test cap against England! I wont mind if Agarkar and Zaheer are washed off for these two pacers! We can have both in the team with either one or both playing! Mind you that both are good bats too and have scored good runs in domestic cricket!!

If Irfan can get support and/or competition from the other end, he will be inspired to strive for more pace and consistency! At the start of his career, he used to bowl at 135kph it seems! He has lost pace as he gradually played intl. cricket! Its not due to the fault in his grip of the ball as he generated better pace with that grip too! So he needs better pace partners!

Last edited:
Speed means nothing without accuracy, look at Lee when he's spraying it he can go at 7-12 an over.

Accuracy > Pace.

jk16_4 said:
hahaha !! Giles Out Of the Tour !! :D

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/236069.html

thankfully, we wont see a lot of -ve bowling in this tour ! ;)
i dont think he would have made a BIG impact even if he was in the side. :rolleyes:

Nice to see these two articles together.

Giles worry over arthritis in hip
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4694006.stm

Giles, who has been replaced by Ian Blackwell in the squad that leaves for India on Sunday, said it was "still possible" he could play in the third Test or the one-day series.

England really need a good spinner. Names like Blackwell, Udal and Panesar don't really shock the opposition.

Users who are viewing this thread