• Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
Sureshot said:
Speed means nothing without accuracy, look at Lee when he's spraying it he can go at 7-12 an over.

Accuracy > Pace.
Slightly inaccurate faster bowler > more accurate slow-medium bowler | opening the innings

Lee's main weapon is not his pace, but the way he swings the ball nowdays. That at his pace makes him better than the rest.

India need a quick bowler urgently, as their bowling department is extremely weak at the moment.

Thats great! Thats what is required for an Indian fast bowler! We all have medium pacers so far! We need fast medium bowlers!

I Tend to Disagree with you i have seen both of them and can say they are bowlers who have bowled at speeds of 90 miles consistently specially VRV Singh. 90 miles means 145 km/hr which is the benchmark for fast bowlers.Main Example would be shanebond.About Munaf Patel I do have a concern because he is returning after an injury and he is precious talent because he has the ability to swing the ball a that pace which is rare and he has impressed sachin who made him join maharastra.

m_vaughan said:
Lee's main weapon is not his pace, but the way he swings the ball nowdays. That at his pace makes him better than the rest.

Bowling in Favourabe conditions in australia & england does not make him thebest oneday bowler .wait when he comes to the sub-continent mainly pakistan,india which he is generally afraid to do because his fitness will really be tested here.and swing happens in the air under favourable conditions.he is really going to struggle when their is no swing remember that aus-newzealand final odi.so he needs to develop a slower delivery

Pace makes no difference if u have no accuracy e.g Mohammad Sami bowls 90+mph but has no line & length & is harmless in any conditions.He is one of the quickest but worst bowlers I've ever seen.

sohummisra said:
Slightly inaccurate faster bowler > more accurate slow-medium bowler | opening the innings

So then you'd take Ntini over Pollock? Not me.

Cricket_god said:
Bowling in Favourabe conditions in australia & england does not make him thebest oneday bowler .wait when he comes to the sub-continent mainly pakistan,india which he is generally afraid to do because his fitness will really be tested here.and swing happens in the air under favourable conditions.he is really going to struggle when their is no swing remember that aus-newzealand final odi.so he needs to develop a slower delivery

Mate, i'm not a huge fan of him but Lee is probably among the fittest if not the fittest bowler in world cricket. I know what you're saying but it's only natural for someone to struggle a little in harsh conditions that they're not accustomed with. and what Aus-NZ match are you referring to? The second one where he was cartered, because I don't think he played in the third. I think he struggled in that match anyway because all the media about NZ being worried about his pace got to his head and as a result he lost touch with his game.

Last edited:
Sureshot said:
Lets make it clearer:

1 slightly innacurate fast bowler > 1 slow medium slightly inaccurate bowler.

Get it?

That's not what sohummisra said.

I replied to:

Sureshot said:
That's not what sohummisra said.

I replied to:

In that case, you would Notice Ntini does a lot better with the new ball and is more effective than Pollock...

Shoaib87 said:
Pace makes no difference if u have no accuracy e.g Mohammad Sami bowls 90+mph but has no line & length & is harmless in any conditions.He is one of the quickest but worst bowlers I've ever seen.

you see someone like sami will mature .pace is important line lenght can come .but pace can,t come

James219 said:
Mate, i'm not a huge fan of him but Lee is probably among the fittest if not the fittest bowler in world cricket. I know what you're saying but it's only natural for someone to struggle a little in harsh conditions that they're not accustomed with. and what Aus-NZ match are you referring to? The second one where he was cartered, because I don't think he played in the third. I think he struggled in that match anyway because all the media about NZ being worried about his pace got to his head and as a result he lost touch with his game.

what i meant to say is fitness is not only about being athletic you see he has never bowled long spells in the subcontinent another fast bowler called shoaib akhtar toils hard and gets injured regularly.i would like to see lee complete a tour of india playing both test and onedays.

ZoraxDoom said:
In that case, you would Notice Ntini does a lot better with the new ball and is more effective than Pollock...

I was just using it as an example. Never said i would choose who over who........

Shoaib87 said:

Its amazing how you guys find the opportunity to downplay the selection that india has made! They have made the right one! Munaf Patel has been consistently performing in domestic cricket and deserves a call to the national side! yes, we're giving importance to pace now because of our bowler's inability to generate more pace! but if the selected bowlers go for a lot of runs, dont pick wickets and yet just bowl pace, its going to be of no use!

or even if they play the role that a shoaib does (that of softening the batsmen for others to take advantage), that would be better too! but definitely, they have to do what is expected of them - take 20 wickets to bowl a side out twice in a test match or take 10 wickets to win an ODI (or) restrict the batting side's score!

Sureshot said:
Sureshot said:
I was just using it as an example. Never said i would choose who over who........
Being slightly...ignorant of yourself?

Also, you are completely ignoring the context. A clear case of where someone is making comments based on incomplete information. South Africa have other fast bowlers--such as Andre Nel--who can ruffle up the batsmen. Ntini isn't bad in any way, either. India's seamers toil hard to reach 80's. If you don't have a single frontline bowler who can keep it coming fast at the batsmen, you may have to make a sacrifice in terms of accuracy. By watching enough cricket, you'll realize that Shoaib and Lee haven't gotten all their wickets from being accurate--sheer pace means the batsmen has less time to think, and therefore has a greater chance of making a mistake.

sohummisra said:
sheer pace means the batsmen has less time to think,

Physically speaking, this statement is incorrect. Everybody has the same reaction time.

Yes, crap bowling can get wickets but there is no substitute for line and length. Raw pace and speed is secondary. This is where England has the advantage. They will have a settled eleven (injuries aside) to take to the field and a strong pace attack which will be tested in the conditions. Then we will see how good they really are! This is what made australia so good- they have had a settled attack which is now newly rebuilt since the ashes.

beefy_botham said:
Physically speaking, this statement is incorrect. Everybody has the same reaction time.
I presume you mean that everyone has a consistent reaction time (doesn't change for one person, but changes from person to person). Fast bowling definitely tests the limits of reaction time, and a little bit of extra pace could mean that the delivery falls below a given batsman's reaction time. Our dibbly-dobbly pace bowlers at the moment don't even come close to testing a batsman's reaction time, and this is why we must make sacrifices.

beefy_botham said:
Yes, crap bowling can get wickets but there is no substitute for line and length. Raw pace and speed is secondary.
Again, you ignore context. We are not talking about fast bowling in general, but as the Indian team views it.

Users who are viewing this thread