Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
Positive thing is that Liam Plunkett has been named for the Test squad. A good prospect for the future. And I didn't hear the names of Shah and Key. I guess they're not fully fit after their operations?

And I am surprised too that Gough hasn't been named. He was actually saying before he went to the dance trip, that he was hoping that he wouldn't be overlooked for the India tour and it's the same thing that happened.

I think Giles is a right choice in the end, because of his experience. Experience (..specially for spinners) is what required against India.

I was a tad dissappointed that they dropped Solanki from the odi squad. I think he is a magnificant odi player. He can be defensive if needs to but he mostly just knocks some good singles around. He is a very resourceful player to have even if he is used as supersub.

m_vaughan said:
Agreed, but its better to have him rather than Keedy
I'd say that Keedy is twice the bowler Giles is. Most spin bowlers in England are in fact.

The point though, is that if you have a spinner who is more effective than Giles, he doesn't need to be able to bat, as the opposition will be scoring fewer runs!

Giles is a good-spinner, he will be effective in the odis, he can turn the ball and in Indian tracks the ball will turn sharp, Giles is the right-spinner has he has toured India on the last tour and england could use the spinners expierence.

andrew_nixon said:
The point though, is that if you have a spinner who is more effective than Giles, he doesn't need to be able to bat, as the opposition will be scoring fewer runs!
Say now, that's dangerous thinking.

andrew_nixon said:
I'd say that Keedy is twice the bowler Giles is. Most spin bowlers in England are in fact.

Thats correct but I dont think any of the those better spinners will save that many runs. So those few extra runs that Giles does give, he can score much more than that with the bat.

Its simple, stick with Giles until you find someone who is really good. Panesar seems to the man who might be able to do it, which is why I wanted him to be selected.

Rubbish, so you reckon Giles would average 15 more with the bat than Keedy/Panesar?

If England bat like they did in Pakistan, they'll need Giles :p. I would keep Giles until they can find a spinner who can turn the ball alot, otherwise there a waste of time.

Drewska said:
If England bat like they did in Pakistan, they'll need Giles :p. I would keep Giles until they can find a spinner who can turn the ball alot, otherwise there a waste of time.

Which is where Monty comes in, he turns it, just needs to be given a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread