England in New Zealand

I saw 40 overs of our innings, Mustard and Cook did well. I was disappointed that Mustard couldn't get the 100. I thought Cook struggled more than his score suggests, not middling much of his scoring shots.

A tie doesn't help us (obviously). However a good performance in Christchurch is needed, even if we fail to win the series. Broad was expensive but he did get wickets. Also, am I the only one thinking that Dimi should be involved more? Wright to bowl the last over was a gutsy decision, given they only needed 7 it was a good over by the young lad.

Please dont call me 'dear' Thats what old people call each other,

England played poorly in the first two ODI's, I never said Colly wasnt a good captain because he is, But he is at the start of his reign. I certainly agree it takes alot of courage to throw the ball Luke Wright in the last over. But i also dont like the way he underuses some bowlers. Mascha only bowling two overs and Wright just the one. If he wants to use Shah for 7 overs why not bring Swann or Tredwell(i think hes on the tour) in. Swann is a very capable batsmen aswelll as bowler.

He is a very good and capable captain.

Note; please dont put players name in block capitals(LIKE THIS) just a capital letter for the two names (Like This)

Sorry.:(
I better not post anything in this thread now.
By the way it makes any differnence if i put players name in block capitals(LIKE THIS) instead of (Like This).

Anyway Neither I argu With people nor i Fight with anyone so sorry.I won't post anything after you now.

I totally agree with you Sureshot. Dimi is badly underused. His batting can be destructive in a short space of time. and we havent seen much of his bowling. I find it a bit of a waste having both him and wright batting at 7 and 8 and bowling 3 overs together.

Sorry.:(
I better not post anything in this thread now.
By the way it makes any differnence if i put players name in block capitals(LIKE THIS) instead of (Like This).

Anyway Neither I argu With people nor i Fight with anyone so sorry.I won't post anything after you now.

Im not angry at you everybody is allowed there own view. Your view is Colly is great, mine is that he still has some work to do. Why would you stop posting in here just cos i disagree slightly with something.

Writing in block capitals makes i look more untidy. Just having a capital letter for the first letter of each name looks alot smarter.

Last edited:
Ya and you must say Sidebottom doesn't deserve that figures.Don't know what happened to him?Broad is pick of the bowlers.And Anderson need rest for the last Match.
They can try Tredwell.

Spinners don't seem to do too well at Christchurch. How about Tremlett?

I reckon we'll be unchanged.

Never ever ever mention putting Tremlett in the England team again!!

Please edit your post :p

Spinners don't seem to do too well at Christchurch. How about Tremlett?

I reckon we'll be unchanged.

Tremlett was poor against India in the ODI's last summer. We needed a spinner certainly and that cost us again.
I thought New Zealand would coast it at one stage but we did well to get a tie.

We'll have to win the next one to tie the series. We need another performance with the bat like that one and hopefully they don't win the toss since we know what each captian will do.

Never ever ever mention putting Tremlett in the England team again!!

Please edit your post :p

I remember how he was primarily a one day bowler when he played for England in 2005. He was definitely one of our best bowlers in the Test series against India in my opinion. So, you might have a point in the one day series but I believe he will play Test matches for us again in the future.

I can agree with him playing in test matches again. But he's at that pace in ODI's where batsmen will take a liking to him. Its bit like sidebottom he's at that pace but he has managed to do very well on this tour in recent matches. I haven't rated him as ODI player before this tour.

Keep Tremlett out of the ODI side. He's never really looked like an ODI bowler. He probably should play some part in the tests however.

Well when I finally gave up and turned the cricket off with 10 overs to go, I was sure I would wake up to cricinfo telling me we'd lost, but it was not to be! Fantastic effort by Luke Wright to only go for 6 runs in the last over.

I think in this game we saw some of the most brainless bowling ever. Firstly O'Brien and Martin insisted on banging it in halfway down, and each time it would go for runs. You would think the England bowlers (namely Anderson and Broad) would've taken note of this, but obviously not. Sidebottom showed them how to bowl on that ground (with the exception of one poor over), and yet they still bowl too short. I just don't understand, surely it was obvious that you had to bowl full and straight. If the batsman still smashes you then fair enough, but atleast you're giving yourself a better chance of getting a wicket.

Don't think it was Collingwood's finest game captaincy wise. Only giving Dimi 2 overs, bowling Shah for 7, dare I mention having to bring on Luke Wright to bowl his first over in the last over of the match! Yes, we got out of the game with a tie, yes the batting was very good, but we can't afford to bowl like that against a side like New Zealand, who have a history of chasing big totals, otherwise it won't matter how many we have on the board.

Back on the bowling, I thought Broad started very well, bowling a good line and length, but then started trying too many variations. He's young and I hope he learns.

Anderson baffles me. He practically bowls 90mph, he swings it both ways, he gets it to zip through with that lovely whippy action and yet you see him bowl like this. When Anderson bowls well, he bowls full and swings it, not half way down when it's doing little.

Is it the bowlers fault? Or are the coaches over-complicating it and filling the bowlers minds with too many things to try if a batsman does this or a batsman does that?

I dont why everyone is slating him bowling Shah, he had the second lowest economy rate of all our bowlers, if anything it was an inspired piece of captaincy. It was carrying on bowling, having only looked at the figures, Andersen and Broad that cost us instead of bowling Dimi who wasn't given enough overs to impose himself on the game.

Not saying bringing on Shah in the first place was a bad idea, it was right to try and change things abit, but I think 4 overs would've been enough, then you can give Dimi or Wright a go, which makes the batsman adjust again to a different type of bowling.

For the next game they have to either use Mascaranhas more, or they may as well play Swann or Tredwell.

Users who are viewing this thread