England in New Zealand

Maybe KP is just covering for his teammates but he's said that the pitch wasn't that easy to bat on and there was seam/swing movement. That said I would expect England to reach 280ish and NZ to make 450.

Spot on,We don't need 6 starts at the top of line up but we need batsmans who performs..Now Check Sureshot What I've found out!!!
With KP's ton,Out of top 6 batsman First time someone scored 100 after the last test in WI..It was 1 year..
Means In between his time nobody has scored 100 from England's top 6..It came after 9 test Matches..weired..

I really hope to see some young blood..Cook as you have said talented but never looked like opener who can go for long..

I wouldn't drop Cook. Strauss is a no-brain drop though and I'm getting fed up with Ian "He'll come good" Bell.

I said that Pietersen would come good, and he has. One of the best innings i've seen for a long time. The side are in trouble, on a pitch that is offering abit of seam movement and swing, but nothing major, he comes in at 4/3 and hits a fantastic hundred showing the talent that we all know he has. He returned to his usual game, being positive against the spinners and hitting powerfully through extra cover and down the ground. I love the way that Pietersen is seen to be in a form slump yet in this slump he still averages 35 :p. What a performance from him.

The top order have serious problems though, i don't think the order suits the players that we have in there. Bell doesn't seem to understand the role of batting at 5, he averages 41 at 5 and 55 at 6 which clearly must show where he should be batting. Vaughan's averages barely differ when batting at 2 or 3, so he should be in the position which facilitates for Strauss, which is at 3. If Strauss is playing, he should be playing the position he's most comfortable at, and the position that he's been playing at most, which is opening. So we're not exactly helping ourselves having people batting out of position. That doesn't explain it though, and i think we need a rethink, unless they all perform really well at the start of the county season and in the 2nd innings of this game.

Really poor performance today from England, other than Pietersen and Broad. Southee was excellent for NZ though, and if he could put on abit of pace he could definetly be challenging Broad, Tait and Steyn for best young quick in a few years. England really need to bowl well tommorow.

Well I don't think its appropriate to Target any one..Whole top Order is not performing and Not only now but from past one year...
But its easy to pick Strauss because he came after drop..Vaughn also not performing...Cook's job is not to make 50-70...After start you need to build your inning for big one in Tests...
England definitely will bat again in 2 nd innings..So will be Chance for Vaughn,cook and poor Strauss...If England want to win the test they must have runs on the score board..

I don't agree with you there. He has been one of England's most consistent players over the past couple of years.

He doesn't seem a player that scores when needed. He gets runs but generally they are when we are on a good score.

I'd love to be proved wrong on this btw.

We need an aggressive opener, Cook's shown he has what it takes but he likes to go along at a steady pace, when the score is knocking along slowly he tends to get frustrated and give away his wicket. If we can get someone at the other end who will get the score ticking over like Trescothick used to do we're onto a winner with Vaughan back at 3.

I wouldn't hold my breath with regards to dropping a batsman. When Moores came out saying that they deserved a chance to score runs yet dropped Hoggard after 1 and a half bad Tests made me wonder. It seems the batsmen can do no wrong, yet we have players waiting who deserve a chance.

Whoever said drop Cook is absolutely deluded. Second or Third quickest Englishman to 2000 runs and you want to drop him after what 3 failures. My life.

More swing this morning guys (day 2) I'm excited to see Southee swing it!

I really hope that we have unearthed another bowler the elk of Hadlee for the New Zealand side. This kid will break records, fantastic attitude, and has the fortitude and the right support to make it.

Since Hadlee retired, we have not had the same 'one-man-team' mantra we were blessed in the 80s. 90s - 2000s were a bit of a blur when bowlers keep getting injured, no one stood out, and we just toil away with good discipline and worked hard with little talent we did have.

We've had great all-rounders, Chris Cairns, Hadlee himself, now JAcob Oram. But we do not have a great strike bowler since HAdlee retired.

Herald a new star to replace the previous 'talisman'....

710676.jpg

He's bowled how many international overs again ? I wouldn't even consider comparing him to the legend of Richard Hadlee. If he's still performing in a year then go ahead and praise the socks off him, but after not even playing 1 test you can't compare him to Oram and especially Hadlee.

Well Hadlee experienced a mental breakdown in 1983 before coming back to international cricket.

Cricket in New Zealand has always been like the poor cousins of rugby. We are desperate for success, we love our cricket. But we can't seem to elevate cricket to the heights of India, Pakistan and Australia.

Maybe i'm a bit overboard, but I haven't seen a Kiwi bowler with his hype (from legends of the game -see my older posts-) Since Hadlee. And Hadlee was really inconsistent at the start of his career (22). -Check wiki.

Also his action and his natural swing. I do agree though, heap praise on him after a year or so, but nothing wrong with praising him now for his performance.

FROM WIKI (Hadlee):

Bowling style

Hadlee was a right-arm pace bowler. Initially extremely fast, as the years progressed he gained accuracy, movement off the wicket and in the air, and a reputation that probably gained him quite a few wickets on its own. Perhaps his most potent delivery was the often unplayable outswinger, which became his main weapon in the latter stages of his career.

Hadlee modelled his bowling action on the great Australian fast bowler Dennis Lillee, whom he regarded as his bowling role model. It was common for Hadlee to think about how to dismiss batsmen by wondering 'what would Lillee do?'.

His economical action was notable for his close approach to the wicket at the bowler's end (to the point where he occasionally knocked the bails off in his approach), a line which meant he was able to trap many batsmen leg before wicket. He broke the Test-wicket taking record with his 374th wicket on 12 November, 1988. His 400th Test wicket was claimed on 4 February 1990, and with his last Test delivery, on 9 July, 1990, he dismissed Devon Malcolm for a duck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread