England in Pakistan

Who will win the ODI Series

• Total voters
GOod come back by England especially Plunkett. He picked up 2 wickets in one over and a run out in his over. That's the turning point. At one stage it looked like Pakistan was going to win easily, but didn't happen. Great bowling in the end by England.
Great Match!

siddharth2002 said:
I think regardless of the result, Yousouf and Malik missed the trick, should have attacked more in the middle of their partnership. This match is (almost) lost by Pakistan, not won by England.

Update- England wins, bad-luck for Pakistan, lost wickets quickly at the end.
You have to give Blackwell credit there. Intelligent bowling, kept it tight, and like I said before, he can be a very very handy bowler for us in ODIs.

However I dont understand what is Solanki doing at no.8. I would like to see him bat up the order or being used as the supersub.

1st One Day International Result

England 327-4 (50 overs)
Strauss 94, Flintoff 72*, Pietersen 56
Sami 1-34

Pakistan 285 all out (46.5 overs)
Butt 69, Khan 60, Yousuf 59, Malik 50
Plunkett 3-51, Flintoff 3-73

England win by 42 runs.
Man of the match: Andrew Strauss

m_vaughan said:
You have to give Blackwell credit there. Intelligent bowling, kept it tight, and like I said before, he can be a very very handy bowler for us in ODIs.

However I dont understand what is Solanki doing at no.8. I would like to see him bat up the order or being used as the supersub.
Yeah Blackwell is alright but Yousouf and Malik are good enough to attack him. Malik should have gone for shots knowing that Yousouf can be the anchor with Razzaq still to come.

I saw the end of the match. Yousuf and Malik should have got at least 5-6 an over during the 35-40 overs. That would have eased the pressure on the batsmen to come. Malik got his fifty without hitting a four and a six. Eventually the non ability of getting quick run in that period costs them. Also in the first over of the last remaining overs they didn't score much too.

Also find it strange that the Supersub has been named a bowler. I rather see an allrounder like Arafat coming in.

But England put up a good defensive total. I didn't expect such a high total either. The over in where Plunkett was bowling was decisive, where three wickets fell.

By the sounds of things, the Pakistanis need to work on their ODI batting chemistry. The runs were there, why not try to take them, guys?

You don't bowl 10 overs, no wicket for 45 "keeping it tight". 45 isn't very tight and if you don't pull a wicket, then you were either hugely unlucky, or just not doing much. If you "keep it tight" you either earn figures of 0/30 or pick up a wicket as a result of being "tight."

angryangy said:
You don't bowl 10 overs, no wicket for 45 "keeping it tight".
You do on a peach of a batting track like that one.

angryangy said:
By the sounds of things, the Pakistanis need to work on their ODI batting chemistry. The runs were there, why not try to take them, guys?

You don't bowl 10 overs, no wicket for 45 "keeping it tight". 45 isn't very tight and if you don't pull a wicket, then you were either hugely unlucky, or just not doing much. If you "keep it tight" you either earn figures of 0/30 or pick up a wicket as a result of being "tight."
0-45 on a placid pitch as this is as good as 0-30. People are talking about Plunkett's over being decisive, but I think it was Blackwell's spell (dint concede a boundary i think) that really made the difference in the end.

angryangy said:

It's pretty tight when he was one of only 2 bowlers in the match to have gone for less than 5 an over.

If Blackwell continues to bowl the same way as he did today , Giles shouldn't be getting a place in the ODI team.

angryangy said:

You didn't watch that pitch or see who was at the crease obviously. He was the most economical bowler of the let, to not concede a boundary in 10 overs on that pitch is incredible.

We actually won an ODI abroad :eek:

Plunkett and Blackwell were impressive, KPs innings albeit a bit short lived was decisive.

Also Note that the Pakistan spinners went for 6 an over.

Flintoff was expensive, but comparing he looked liked he had a knock he did alright.

Need to sort out this Supersub somehow, same rules for everyone, but such a disadvantage it's untrue.

Either we use it like the Australians do, or not at all.

angryangy said:

add one more thing.

it is tight in the context of the game and pitch.

m_vaughan said:

Fletcher likes strength in depth, in case of a batting collapse, plus his fielding is good, i'd replace him with Plunkett, for the next game.

kodos said:
Akhtar run out!! 3 quick wickets and Eng have got this now. Another fantastic match just like the one earlier in the day between Aus and NZ with both matches containing high scores.

Good work by jones, he had a good day with the gloves, took 2 difficult catches in the darkness of Lahore.

Sureshot said:

Well he helped us get of to a start.

Unfortunately i turned my alarm off in my sleep, so i didn't see his innings.

How did he do for his 45?

I thought all England players did well, but Pakistan need to look at their stategy again. I won't blame the Selectors right away, but they shouldv'e had Yasir Arafat as a Super-sub. We didn't even use our Super-sub. Maybe next time our selectors will keep note of the Super-sub selection. If we had Yasir Arafat or even Yasir Hameed we would've had a good chance of winning this game.

Pakistan coudln't really use there sub because of the toss. (It was a bowler, right?).

Priors 45 was good. KP should of got more, but bizarrely got stumped of a wide.

Users who are viewing this thread