England in Pakistan

Who will win the ODI Series

• Total voters
I think Younis Khan needs to be properly utilised. Obviously, the players ideal at 4 and 5 shouldn't move. Perhaps he could be opening the batting with a power hitter, like Salman Butt where his tenacity anchors the innings. Then, you can have Shoaib Malik at 3, Inzamam and Yosuf in the middle, probably Kamran Akmal at 6 and then the lower order, big swinging all-rounders and the like.

I've seen some matches Younis Khan playing from the top order and also in the middle order. I didn't know he could hit in the final overs, till I saw some matches of him. Great powerfull strokes of him with gave him a lot of boundaries. Didn't expect that. Malik at number has an average of 45 I think, so Pakistan should give him that spot. Akmal normally is good in the final overs, so I think he should be demoted. I remember when he his three sixes of the last three balls against West Indies. :)

So the problem is again who will start in the opener's spot. Usually a Pakistani opener gets out quickly, so why not hand Malik the opener's spot along Butt? So Younis Khan could still play at number 3. But on the other hand, when Afridi gets back, he could be handed the opener's spot. And he can make very use of the fieldings restrictions that are implied then. A miscued shot for six, wouldn't be easily caught then and it will just result in a boundary. And he has shown already what he can do at that position.

With Afridi, you get 10 terrible innings for every decent one. To me that's not a reason to give him the opener's spot.

angryangy said:
With Afridi, you get 10 terrible innings for every decent one. To me that's not a reason to give him the opener's spot.

Afrdi has been consisten for this year. I see you haven't been watching Pakistan play before this tour.. :rolleyes:

Through 2004 and 2005 (not including the England series) Afridi's record in test's is:

Played: 5
Inns: 10
Not Out: 0
Runs: 418
Average: 41.80
50's: 2
100's: 1

If he's been so consistant though, why isn't he a regular in the side?

ODI's 2004/5
Played: 32
Inns: 28
Not Out: 2
Runs: 591
Average: 22.73
50's: 3
100's: 1

Now to me he's a waste of a good slogger in the middle/lower order and those scores aren't those of what you want from an opener...

Abdul Razzaq in the 1st ODI was actually not out(just telling).I think no one mentioned that Pakistan could have won if the decision had ben judged right.He smashed Flintoff a four and a six in his previous over.

His Test record is pretty good. But his ODI record not. But you have also take into account he comes late in the order in some of the ODI's. He's expected to hit. And hitting adds also a lot of risk. But the ODI stats above doesn't tell all the story.

Including England's Test in year 2005:

Test runs: 510 and Test average: 42.50

ODI runs: 571 and ODI average: 28.55.

Take out the Afro-Asia Cup and Super Series (he made 37 runs in those five matches) and count only the ODI's he played for his country, he has 534 runs and got 35,6 as ODI average. Not bad average for him. And in some of those he entered in the final overs and some as opener.

Personally I would see him in the Test scene come in as number 6 (no time limit, so no pressure) and in the ODI scene as opener (can make use of the fielding restrictions).

Ricky pontinG said:
Abdul Razzaq in the 1st ODI was actually not out(just telling).I think no one mentioned that Pakistan could have won if the decision had ben judged right.He smashed Flintoff a four and a six in his previous over.

I have actually yet to see the video. Only followed on it on Text Commentary.

When is the next match starting? Tonight?

Hope Pakistan wins the 2nd ODI! The series, I think, would be engrossing if they do it!

saisrini80 said:
When is the next match starting? Tonight?

Hope Pakistan wins the 2nd ODI! The series, I think, would be engrossing if they do it!
yes tonight,10:45 Local time on Tensports,if Pakistan stick to the same side than i don't think they gonna win :rolleyes:
trying Akmal at opening slot is a waste of a wicket
i think they should use Malik as a opener
& Yasir Arafat as Super sub

Pak_cricketer said:
Afrdi has been consisten for this year. I see you haven't been watching Pakistan play before this tour.. :rolleyes:
I'm still not watching Pakistan play (well I did manage to watch a session, but that's beside the point), but, just to humor your patriotism,

2004 12 innings, 2 50s, 238 runs @ 21.64
2005 21 innings, 2 50s, 1 100, 571 runs @ 28.55

Now, herein lies my point. In 2004, 58% of his runs were scored in 17% of his innings. In 2005, more than 35% of his runs were scored in 14% of his innings.

England win toss and bat

England are now favourites to win the match.

Here are teams:

England team:
*ME Trescothick, MJ Prior, AJ Strauss, KP Pietersen, A Flintoff,
PD Collingwood, +GO Jones, ID Blackwell, SJ Harmison,
LE Plunkett, JM Anderson.

Pakistan team:
Salman Butt, Shoaib Malik, Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf,
*Inzamam-ul-Haq, +Kamran Akmal, Abdul Razzaq, Shoaib Akhtar,
Naved-ul-Hasan, Mohammad Sami, Danish Kaneria.

Solanki will Supersub of England. And guess who is the Supersub again of Pakistan: Arshad Khan.

And again Hair is the referee.

Users who are viewing this thread