England in Pakistan

Who will win the ODI Series

• Total voters
andrew_nixon said:
I'm not usually one to defend Giles, but on the last tour to Pakistan he took 17 wickets at 24.11...... hardly ineffective.....
It would be interesting to see how he fairs this time around. It has been four years now since that tour. Last time around spinners seemed to dominate in tests, I'm betting this time the pacers will have more of a say with Jones, Flintoff, and Akhtar reversing that red ball.

P.S: I've been thinking of subscribing to SPIN magazine. Can anyone tell me if its worth my 42 pounds (the currency, not my weight) for the year?

Last edited:
nightprowler10 said:
That questionable potential gave India a run for its money earlier in the year.

Really looking forward to this series after the squads announcement.
Theres no doubt pakistan can bat well sometimes,i just think that that is unosual,not normal.

Sureshot said:
I seem to remember in a thread on another forum a Australian member calling English 'Pommies', i can't remember the whole thing now, but even a Scotsman (!!!!) didn't like the term, now that says something. :D
It's a word that was used to describe Englishmen when Europeans started to settle in Australia iirc. (Details a bit hazy though)

I just think why not call us 'English' or 'Englishmen'?
Pommies always brings a smile to my face :D Can't be bothered typing Englishmen,or english.......so boring.

nightprowler10 said:
It would be interesting to see how he fairs this time around. It has been four years now since that tour. Last time around spinners seemed to dominate in tests, I'm betting this time the pacers will have more of a say with Jones, Flintoff, and Akhtar reversing that red ball.

Well imo Giles has improved and he might go around the wicket more. Hope to see Vaughan turning a few. Under-rated bowler.

So the slang term Pommy is used to described the convicts sent to Australia by HM. So effectively they are insulting themselves? Hurrah!

Hmmm,but you are the one who is feeling insulted.Not me.Doesn't bother me at all.I'll still call all English people poms,and some English people will still be offended.

sachin said:
Hmmm,but you are the one who is feeling insulted.Not me.Doesn't bother me at all.I'll still call all English people poms,and some English people will still be offended.
Why would you call someone a pommie if he doesn't like it?

sachin said:

I guess in a way it can be compared to Pakistani's not liking the term 'Paki'. Now, 'pommie' obviously isn't anywhere near as offensive or insulting to Englishman/Briton's as that term is to Pakistani's, but to some people it comes across as insulting or impolite. I'm not calling you a racist before anyone thinks I am, just making a point.

sachin said:

Well having lived in New Zealand for a year I'm kinda used to it...

jonah said:

Thanks for this. Now I understand a bit. But why are Englishmen are called like this? IF someone was being called like this, shouldn't the Australians be the first one that called like this? That would make more sense then.

And this was just a normal question. No offensive to the Australians and Englishmen.

nightprowler10 said:
Why would you call someone a pommie if he doesn't like it?
It's a sort of love hate thing.Funny,but can be offensive.

stevie said:
I guess in a way it can be compared to Pakistani's not liking the term 'Paki'. Now, 'pommie' obviously isn't anywhere near as offensive or insulting to Englishman/Briton's as that term is to Pakistani's, but to some people it comes across as insulting or impolite. I'm not calling you a racist before anyone thinks I am, just making a point.
Yeah,i know what you mean mate,don't worry. ;)

Sureshot said:
Sort of a mis-conception that most people have of the word.
But in the end,the true meaning is the wrong meaning(if you get what i mean);Pommie has been taken to mean English,and thats never gonna change. :noway

Users who are viewing this thread