England in Pakistan

Who will win the ODI Series

• Total voters
ODI's dull? You can become World Champion only by winning ODI's.

Test Cricket is better to see the differences between two teams, but you can't say ODI's don't show the abilities of a team.

To be the best, you have to be well in both parts of the game.

durrani1 said:
man my first post after a while:::
England will suffer in pak. couz they dont have any bowler who is exceptionaly well out side England..or rather in sub-continent.They dont have a classy spin attack.Pak has more experienced batsmen of spin bowling.Then pak. has more exponents of reverse swing as they first develope this art.They have more classy spin attack which troubled Indian batting linup.English bowling linup jones,harmisan and flintoff are more useful in bouncy tracks and if they dont get those kind of pitches then we can expect adverse results.If hoggard bowls well with the new ball in early December morning then u can say there might be an EDGE To him or Gough.So hoggard and gough for me are key bowlers and S.jones to some extent.

While Akhtar,Sami they dont want bounce tracks every time, they will rather happy with the low bouncy tracks. For Akhtar watch 2002 NZ tour to pak where on dead docile pitches he single handedly broke kiwis and also AUS in colombo...
I will continue later with england Chances over PAk..

I can accept it will be a competative series but i seriously wont be getting too worried about a team who could not even win a test in the West Indies recently.
Regarding Darren Gough been a key bowler well there is as much chance of me playing in the test series than Darren Gough.

barmyarmy said:
You just sent a shiver down my spine. Caddick and Cork were considered?
Apparantly so..... Caddick and Cork were ahead of Gough in the selectors minds too. The final choice was apparantly between Anderson and Cork. Presumebly Cork was being considered to strengthen the batting line up.

durrani1 said:
For Akhtar watch 2002 NZ tour to pak where on dead docile pitches he single handedly broke kiwis and also AUS in colombo...
This was 3 years ago mate, Akhtar has no where been near his best since then or since he exploded onto the scene in the 99 WC. Tbh i can see Shoaib being as much a threat as Lee was in the Ashes and I can also see him taking a pounding like Lee did too.

I'd make a few changes to the squad to tour Pakistan. Bring James Foster in as wicketkeeper instead of Geraint Jones would be a major change.

Gary Keedy can spin the ball more than Gilo in my opinion. Take him!

Shoaib's last series in Aus against Aus, I think he took 5 wkts two or three times in that series..

Briggsey said:
Tbh i can see Shoaib being as much a threat as Lee was in the Ashes and I can also see him taking a pounding like Lee did too.

PLZ PLZ PLZ dont match Lee with Akhtar still>>>> Stil Lee is left testical of Akhtar the whole world knows :cool: :) :noway

Hmm...

barmyarmy said:
You just sent a shiver down my spine. Caddick and Cork were considered?

Bowling Options:
Caddick was definitely considered, I didn't hear anything about Cork, surely not? He's not even bowling that well for Lancashire or that regularly from what I've seen. Caddick or Gough or I guess Cork wouldn't have been that bad a choice, they have experience, they know it's their last shot and would give it there all. Ah well Collingwood got the nod and we won the ashes so enough said. I think that Tremlett will probably be the backup bowler again this winter as it will not be such a pressure situation. He deserves a chance.

Threats:
I agree with the people that have said that Pakistan have some good batsmen who should deal better with reverse swing and that Kaneira will be a big threat. I think some of our batsmen will struggle against him as we are not used to quality spin in our County game.

Shoaib Akhtar:
However I don't think many of our batsmen are going to be that worried about Shoaib. Sure he has pace but his line and length is very inconsistent. He has been bowling for Worcestershire over here in England with some success, I think he has about 15 wickets at an average of just under 30. His economy rate is also high, this isn't that special condisidering he is playing at county level.

Geraint Jones:
I think the case to replace Jones is a tough one. He averages somewhere around 30 and has a test match hundered which is pretty good for a wicket keeper. Yes he makes some key errors with the gloves but he was under a microscope during the ashes and anyone would have felt the pressure. He also took some very good catches which suggests to me it was nerves that god to him and not the lack of ability which stopped him from taking the chances. Nerves will lessen with experience. I'm not a huge fan of him although I think he is talented but I would only be in favour of dropping him unless you were sure that someone like Foster, Read, Prior etc would first of all be a better wicket keeper and secondly score more runs. You have to somehow weigh them up against each other.

Lets say for example Foster takes about 3 catches more than Jones on average a series but only averages 10 with the bat. Who would you rather have? It's a tough one to weigh up.

However Geraint Jones is currently top of the dismissals list this year in tests. That's an interesting point considering I heard someone say on the boards that our schedule is tiny compared to other international teams.

dazza76 said:
I can accept it will be a competative series but i seriously wont be getting too worried about a team who could not even win a test in the West Indies recently.
First off, we won a test and lost one. Second, in the one we lost, our whole pace attack was missing, no Inzamam, no Malik, Younis Khan captaining the test side for the first time (to my knowledge), and of course to make matters worse, Lara was in good form.

Tell me how good England would fare against Lara and his Windies if you were missing your captain (Vaughan), your pace attack (Hoggard, Harmison, Jones), and your best all rounder (Flintoff). I honestly don't see England doing much better than what Pakistan did with such a team.

Reider84 said:
Shoaib Akhtar:
However I don't think many of our batsmen are going to be that worried about Shoaib. Sure he has pace but his line and length is very inconsistent. He has been bowling for Worcestershire over here in England with some success, I think he has about 15 wickets at an average of just under 30. His economy rate is also high, this isn't that special condisidering he is playing at county level.
I was very surprised by his county peformances especially after watching him in Afro-Asian Cup.

nightprowler10 said:
I was very surprised by his county peformances especially after watching him in Afro-Asian Cup.
He bowled very well since the pitches assisted him.The top score in the series was around 190 odd.The ball swung a lot in the first 15 overs.On flat pitches without reverse swing or seam movement he will be smashed for 6 an over.

Users who are viewing this thread