England in Pakistan

Who will win the ODI Series

• Total voters
Mahesh Babu said:
He bowled very well since the pitches assisted him.The top score in the series was around 190 odd.The ball swung a lot in the first 15 overs.On flat pitches without reverse swing or seam movement he will be smashed for 6 an over.
The top score in the series was 267 by the Asian XI followed by 250 by the Afro XI in the same match. Akhtar was 2/50 in that match.

The main threat lies from Kaneria. If the England batsmen can see him off and get after him then big totals are very likely. I also think the wickets of Inzaman, Younis Khan and Youhanna will be huge ones for England to get as they are probably the 3 best batters in the Pakistan team and have been for some while and if England can get those 3 out quickly and cheaply then they can hit into the middle order and lower order and hopefully cause Pakistan some problems.

As far as replacing Geraint Jones, I cant see it happening. There was all sorts of speculation during the Ashes and people saying he should be dropped but he took some blinders especially the one at Edgbaston to win the game. He wont be dropped but Read will probably go as back up keeper to him. Its a tough choice to see which backup batter England will take, there are lots who they could take; Joyce, Shah, Butcher etc, I hope its either Joyce or Shah as they have been in fantastic form all season where as Butcher has only just come back from injury and hasnt played much.

Also there is something I want to ask: what happened about Nick Knight? He is in tremendous right now. When I see the scorecard where he is playing he always has a good score. He would be a great replacement for Bell, who is one of the weaker batsmen.

zMario said:
Butcher will be given a chance, i can almost guarantee that

Butcher has all but retired after injury probs. He's too old to be considered again now. Shame as before he got injured he was averaging over 50.

ZexyZahid said:
Also there is something I want to ask: what happened about Nick Knight? He is in tremendous right now. When I see the scorecard where he is playing he always has a good score. He would be a great replacement for Bell, who is one of the weaker batsmen.

He's nearly 36. He retired from ODI's after the WC and has never really figured in the test team.

Jon Trott has done well this season too, his face to KP in the C & G final was legendary.

i`ll be supportying Pakistan this series ! The way Pakistan perform will decide how England shape up for the series against England ! England V India will be the No.2 V No.3 test sides contest!
Go Pakistan Go !
Kaneria has to fire for Pakistan . I don`t think Shoaib will be a threat though he might surprise us all (his main opponent is himself)

.....and Iam more a test cricket man ! ODIs are becoming more predictable every day !And the fact that India is No.3 in tests also helps!

aditya123 said:
i`ll be supportying Pakistan this series ! The way Pakistan perform will decide how England shape up for the series against England ! England V India will be the No.2 V No.3 test sides contest!
Go Pakistan Go !
Kaneria has to fire for Pakistan . I don`t think Shoaib will be a threat though he might surprise us all (his main opponent is himself)

.....and Iam more a test cricket man ! ODIs are becoming more predictable every day !And the fact that India is No.3 in tests also helps!

Same here man! I love test cricket too! But it has got nothing to do with India's non performance in ODI's. The Ashes has also contributed a lot to my love for test cricket!

I think there is a good chance Butcher will tour to Pakistan. Yes he is getting older now but I think he could add some steel and experience to the middle order especially with the likes of Hussain and Thorpe now gone.

I would still pick Bell because it would be unfair to drop him after one poor series, especially since we won it! If for example Vaughan, Strauss or Trescothick etc picked up an injury though you could end up with a middle order of Bell, Pietersen, Joyce?? This would be very inexperienced. I would go with Butcher as a backup batsmen because he's been there and done it. I think the younger players need to be brought in slowly and at the right time, not just threw in at the deep end.

For example if Simon Jones had been injured in the first test then I think Tremlett would have replace him in the second. Since it came down to the last test, the biggest game in English cricket for 18 years or so, it was not the time to give a debutant the chance.

I am still surprised this didn't happen yet: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/story/219349.html

Everybody knows Wasim Akram has learned Flintoff (by Lancashire) the reverse swing and Waqar Younis Simon Jones (by Glamorgan).

'When we did the reverse swing against England in 1992, they termed it as cheating. And now when they achieved an Ashes win through reverse swing, it's an art," :rolleyes:

ZexyZahid said:
I am still surprised this didn't happen yet: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/story/219349.html

Everybody knows Wasim Akram has learned Flintoff (by Lancashire) the reverse swing and Waqar Younis Simon Jones (by Glamorgan).

'When we did the reverse swing against England in 1992, they termed it as cheating. And now when they achieved an Ashes win through reverse swing, it's an art," :rolleyes:

Yes that's a very good point and I think an apology is deserved.

Akram wasn't moaning. I read the article, he also said that if he hadn't taught Flintoff the art of reverse swing, Flintoff might've learned it anyway. He wasn't being cocky or anything, he was just pointing out how when we used it in 1992 and won it was cheating and England used it to beat Australia, so now its an art. He's just asking everyone to give Pakistani bowlers credit for the development of reverse swing, thats all.

I dont think Freddie has been caught picking the seam or match fixing yet has he? Glad to see Wasim Didnt teach him any other Pakistani traits.

Last edited:
but i thought Wasim did Teach him...and now everyone not just England but every other team is using it.. When it was introduced by Pakistan everyone was saying that they are cheating...I belive hes right people owe the pakistani bowlers an apology..

Users who are viewing this thread