England in South Africa

what will be the possible outcome of Test series?

• South Africa wins 5-0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • South Africa wins 4-0, 4-1

• South Africa wins 2-0,3-0,3-1

• South Africa wins 1-0,2-1,3-2

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Drawn 0-0,1-1,2-2

• England wins 1-0,2-1,3-2

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • England wins 2-0,3-0,3-1

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • England wins 4-0, 4-1

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • England wins 5-0

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I cant understand whats going on with James Anderson.
He is a far better bowler than what you are seeing now. The day he returns to form, England will be an even better team.

Problems with his action, when you start falling away or try too hard, the ball goes all over the place, i've experienced this and i'm sure i'm not the only one. It was a funny decision to play him anyway, as he hasn't played for so long and the last time he did, he didn't exactly do well. Now that it is quite clear he needs to be worked on and needs to play games, maybe he'll get a full season in the County Championship instead of bringing on drinks for the test side.

Well Vaughan and Thorpe out. We need a good performance from Freddie before we're forced to wheel out the invalids...

This game's on a knife-edge going into day 5. Great Test match cricket between two evenly matched teams, the power of play swinging from one team to the other. Who's your money going on?
Btw great knock from Tres, as was Gibbs'.

Well as I said upthread I still fancy the draw but tbh I'd rather see a result either way. That said I don't think we can bowl SA out in 2 sessions with our weakened attack.

4th Test Stumps Day 4

England 1st Inning 411/8 declare (Strauss 147, Key 83, Vaughan 82*) (Ntini 4/111)
South Africa 1st Inning 419 (Gibbs 161, Boucher 64) (Hoggard 5/144)
England 2nd Inning 197/5 (Trescothick 101*) (Ntini 2/45)

England lead by 189 runs with 5 wickets remaining

Rangeela said:
Oh my my my....Strauss gone on duck....England are under pressure now at lunch trailing by 1 run. Trescothick needs to play the inning of his life in able to take any chances away from South Africa for winning the match.
damn I was right ...Trescothick way to go!!!

Remember it's our bowlers who are all injured not our batsmen.

Oh I know but England hasnt be consistent with their batting..if one of the opener get a century then they have a chance to draw the series...Strauss did it in 1str Inning and trescothick on a roll in 2nd Inning...winning is out of the question due to the bowlers injuries

Jon Lewis of Gloucestershire has been called into the Test squad. He's 29, uncapped and a useful bowler. He's also not totally out of practice having been playing with the academy (although no match practice to speak of).

So are we a test for England before they go to the Ashes

So tell me , has SA tested England enough before they go the ashes, not to be funny what If England looses the series 2-1 , what will be on their brain being defeated by a number six ranked team when they face Australia

I like reading messages from the poms , I honestly believed that Aussies are crybabies, but now I realised that its the other way around when South Africa does well , so u liked when Smith fell on the ground from Hoggard, I enjoyed when Jones dropped gibbs and Boje , tell me how pathetic!!!!, he is suppose to be England's number one wickey , but he drops sitters!! and not even to mention about all the byes he gave away! , If i was Steve Bucknor I also would have the "dark glasses" on like Anderson bowled , c'mon I can park a bus in that space!!,U guyz should get it together c'mon going into the Ashes with ur number one strike bowler with his batting ave better than his bowling in the SA series , AUS will murder you !!

Yes you have been a challenge, which is very good for us. I don't think losing to a South Africa team that is ranked 6th will effect them more than losing to the teams above you.

South Africa have quite clearly shown they are a better side than ranking suggests, but I also think this is alot to with you having a bad year and teams becoming alot closer, except Australia, who are light years ahead. I always thought this would be a tough series before it started. My opinion changed after the second test, when it should've been 2-0, but it wasn't. I personally thought your young side might have thrown in the towel after Durban, but you then came back really, really well at Cape Town. Proving me wrong and others wrong!

To be fair I think alot of people saw this as a good, tough challenge, just what we need ahead of the ashes and a good tough challenge is what we've had. If we lose, we lose, we'll just have to pick ourselves up and throw everything we've got at Australia in the summer.

Right, on the subject of Geraint Jones. He took a knock on his thumb chasing down one of the many wayward deliveries from day 3. The byes hes conceded, you said you were there, surely you saw the crap that was being bowled by Anderson and co? He's not our number one 'keeper, thats Chris Read, but he's our number 1 'keeper/BATSMAN.

Don't say we whinge more than the Australians when we play crap, we're more likely to be too hard on our players, no offence to the Aussies, but they look for excuses, Ricky Ponting blamed the pitch in India for losing the on test, when Australia, quite rightly too, prepare pitches that suit them.

Last edited:
TBF I've always seen this as the real test of whether we're up to the Ashes. Whatever the result of the series I think England should have won this series. Steve Harmison's extreme loss of form has been inexplicable and while SA have shown a lot of spirit I don't believe they are as good a side. Were they to win the series I think we would be perfectly justifed in pointing to the ridiculous schedule leading to injuries and preventing a proper contest. That said SA are certainly better than 6th in the world, especially at home, where they've not been beaten by anyone except Australia for 10 years.

Yeah!, I agree with u never give up , has South africa given up ! no I dont think so ! even though they such a young side , who still has alot cricket ahead ,i think the ODI's will be so cool!! , SA has so many big hitters to choose from , Klusener, Morkel. we than have the inform Adam Bacher, HD Ackermann , Justin Kemp ,Neil Mckenzie , Boucher who is back , De villiers a new find of the season, Morne van Wyk a great wicky batsmen , I honestly dont know what team Ray Jenning will choose ,

stevie said:
Don't say we whinge more than the Australians when we play crap, we're more likely to be too hard on our players, no offence to the Aussies, but they look for excuses, Ricky Ponting blamed the pitch in India for losing the on test, when Australia, quite rightly too, prepare pitches that suit them.
Off topic, but that pitch in India was an absolute joke, we prepare wickets that assist both batsman and bowlers, not ones where part timers can take 6/9

Preparing pitches that suit you a bit is one thing, but pitches that aren't even up to first class standard are different

Users who are viewing this thread