England in South Africa

what will be the possible outcome of Test series?

• South Africa wins 5-0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • South Africa wins 4-0, 4-1

• South Africa wins 2-0,3-0,3-1

• South Africa wins 1-0,2-1,3-2

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Drawn 0-0,1-1,2-2

• England wins 1-0,2-1,3-2

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • England wins 2-0,3-0,3-1

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • England wins 4-0, 4-1

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • England wins 5-0

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Inside_Edge said:
Yes, thats the kind of result that I like! England trounced at Newlands yet again. S.A seem to have a decent team developing there. Justin Kemp hits the ball as far as anyone I have ever seen. Roll on the next one! :cheer

Yer you just wait, England will win the next 3 odi's and take the series...... :upray

barmyarmy said:
I disagree. You're playing a very poor ODI side as I've said consistently in this thread. On top of that Flintoff is back home and Harmison has forgotton how to bowl. I think SA are playing well but don't over-estimate the achievement of beating England at One Day Cricket.
Harmison knew how to bowl? :p

Good performance by South Africa absolutely demolishing England :cheer

Once again, England prove they are just not very good at one-day cricket.

Bowling requires discipline. - They can't bowl long hops, half volleys and balls 2ft outside off stump when trying to keep the run rate down. Line and length, line and length, line and length - if you can't manage it, you shouldn't be playing international cricket.

Batting requries ingenuity - They have to find ways to score runs without playing stupid high-risk shots. A batsman that scores 50 off 120 balls in a ODI has done more harm than a batsman that got out first ball. Far too much time is wasted. England celebrated a tie at Bloemfontein, If Michael Vaughan's strike rate had been above 50 England would have won easily. If you're not going to score quickly, get out the way and let someone else do it.

Fielding requires common sense. - If you don't want to concede a run a ball, you've got to have fielders cutting off singles. Any more than three men outside the circle is too negative, you let a batsman get singles, he gets in and plays big shots later. You dry-up the singles, he gets frustrated and ends up trying to hit it over the infield and more often than not, gets himself out.

England have players good enough to compete with any side in the world. At the moment they are way below standard in all three areas of the game, and there is absolutely no excuse!

Last edited:
barmyarmy said:
Flintoff? Cairns? Even Pieterson in this match.
That shot off Ashley Giles in the 2nd ODI,now that was a huge hit.He just seems to make it look so easy.That shot off Ali for six was impressive.He hardly seemed to hit it and it went over the ropes,but believe me,you haven't seen him hit that far yet......He's hit massive sixes in the domestic competition.

And Pietersen?He couldn't even hit a six in the 2nd ODI on what was a much bigger grownd.Kemp managed to,twice.Pietersen seems to only be able to slog in one area too.

Last edited:
So Pietersen didn't hit a six in the 1st ODI Any cricketer with a brain wouldn't have been trying to hit sixes in the situation at the time. We were 44-3 at the time he came in. I think you should look at the 2nd ODI in Bloemfontein, huge boundary, but yet, he hit sixes there, 2 of them! He also hit sixes in the 4th ODI, 3 of them to be precise, when all around him collapsed. I get the impression you're are still abit sore that he decided to play for England? If not, i'm sorry. Thats just my opinion.

Last edited:
Pieterson has also hit massive sixes in domestic competition

stevie said:
So Pietersen didn't hit a six in the 1st ODI Any cricketer with a brain wouldn't have been trying to hit sixes in the situation at the time. We were 44-3 at the time he came in. I think you should look at the 2nd ODI in Bloemfontein, huge boundary, but yet, he hit sixes there, 2 of them! He also hit sixes in the 4th ODI, 3 of them to be precise, when all around him collapsed. I get the impression you're are still abit sore that he decided to play for England? If not, i'm sorry. Thats just my opinion.
I didn't say anything about the 1st ODI,and anyway,why would I be upset about it,its his choice and we just thrashed England,so I'm actually cellebrating.

But still,Pietersen is more of a batsmen,whilst Kemp is a lower order slogger who in my opinion hits the ball a lot longer than most,including Pietersen,he also hits sixes more frequently.And in the second ODi,even if he did clear the rope,it was no where near that monster of a six by Kemp.

Can someone explain to me why Pieterson, an all-rounder who is filling in for Flintoff, has yet, to the best of my knowledge, to bowl a ball? (and seeing as his average is 51 in OD cricket why he is even described as a all-rounder)

Raise a very good point there, I think the fact ZIMBABWE slogged his off-spinners fairly confortably may have something to do with it!

Equally Jacques Kallis atm. Still top of the ODI all-rounder stakes but only one wicket this series, an average of 112 an economy rate of 6.16.

Nope, Freddie is ranked as the best ODI all-rounder in the 'LG Rankings', which is one of the few things those rankings have got right. But why Kallis is still ranked the number 1 all-rounder in tests is beyond me when he's hardly bowled, and when he has, he hasn't picked up wickets.

Thats what I did to start off with lol. Theres no way he can still be the top all-rounder in tests though. Flintoff has been way more consistant with bat AND ball since 2003, whereas Kallis has been supurb with the bat, but, average at best, with the ball since then. He should either be taken off the all-rounders table (OK, maybe abit of a exaggeration) or be moved down, because he's done very, very little with the ball in the recent times. All-rounders are exactly that, they perform both, doing a good amount of work batting and bowling. Kallis has become a batsman who can bowl abit in my opinion. All be it a top quality batsman who can bowl abit. :D

During the last ODI they were showing Anderson bowling against Pakistan in the last world cup when he took four wickets. Cannot believe his bowling now, when you look at how much he was swinging the ball, and fast aswell its a real shame England cannot call on his obvious bowling talent in this series. :(

It's a huge shame someone of his talent has just, basically fallen to pieces. Don't know if it was the cause of his problems but, he's never been the same since he was consistantly getting called for running on the 'danger zone' in the 2003 SA series.

Users who are viewing this thread