England in South Africa

what will be the possible outcome of Test series?

• South Africa wins 5-0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • South Africa wins 4-0, 4-1

• South Africa wins 2-0,3-0,3-1

• South Africa wins 1-0,2-1,3-2

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Drawn 0-0,1-1,2-2

• England wins 1-0,2-1,3-2

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • England wins 2-0,3-0,3-1

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • England wins 4-0, 4-1

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • England wins 5-0

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd stick with Freddie to just bat as long as he doesn't do further damage;his influence on the team as a whole is immense, whether batting, bowling or fielding. The only problem then is who would fill his bowling spot? Drop a batsman (ie Key) for Anderson, and put further pressure on the batsmen who haven't performed consistently so far? If anything the batting line up needs strengthening.

If you bring in Anderson for a batsman, does that mean moving Giles up to number 7? Hes a good number 8, but I think number 7 would be too high for him. And if you bring in a extra batsman, which bowler do you drop? I know most of you would probably say Jones, but he's been the best bowler behind Hoggard in my opinion, Flintoff has had good moments, but not been consistant, Giles has been vital on occasions, where the run rate has been getting out of control, he's come on and tightened it up, along with Jones. Harmison's been the worst of the 5, but they won't drop him.

One thing that is really annoying me is Paul Collingwood getting called a all-rounder, hes a good batsman who can bowl abit, nothing more.

England have flown Mark Butcher home and replaced him with Ian Bell. Here's a chance for him to prove himself; I'd certainly fancy his technique over Key's. Meanwhile Freddy is still doubtful to bowl for the 4th test so Butchers place might instead go to James Anderson or Paul Collingwood.

Certainly Ian Bell over Robert Key, but Key is highly likely to play. If they don't play Freddie as a batsman only, then Paul Collingwood. While he might not be a bowler, he can bowl abit, try and keep one end tight while a/the seamer(s) take(s) a breather. I don't think we could get away with going in with only 6 batsman so Collingwood ahead of Anderson. Afterall the Batting has been the weakest part of our game so far.

Ummmmm yea i kinda agree Bell should get a chance over Key. Altho i cant help but want Kevin Pieterson in the lineup, an exciting player :)

Anderson's in for Jones...that's the only change I think.

Yeh, its the only change. Jones has got a slight back strain as well as conditions suiting swing more.

Don't ask me to explain whats going on with the South African team because it seems to change every 5 seconds!

Strauss has made yet another century, is he in awesome form or what, it's extraordinary. Hope he doesn't fire like this when we tour over to Pommyland later this year

Well looking good for England. Just goes to show on this tour how important it is to win the toss. Lets geta total of 500+ and apply some pressure. Hopefully Flintoff can come in and smash them around towards the middle of the second day :)

I fancy him and Geraint Jones to put on some runs, quickly, if we don't collapse again......as I speak Andrew Strauss gone for 147.......

And Graham Thorpe, Hoggard in.

4th Test Stumps Day 1

England won the toss and elected to bat first

England 1st Inning 263/4 (Strauss 147, Key 83) (Ntini 2/51)

Disappointing end to what was looking like a good day for England. SA came back well with the new ball. What should've been a 450-500+ total now looks more like 350 - 400.

Users who are viewing this thread