England National football team thread

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ha ye that's the funny thing about this Junazji (spell check) thing has created this crazy media debate ever since last weekend. The young bloke ain't even say whether he wants to play for England, like what's going on with Diego Costa saying he wants to play for Spain instead of Brazil currently.

Its just the media now arguing whether its right or wrong from England to pick him. The kid probably doesn't even care at this stage, probably home playing FIFA 14.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
As long as he wears the three lions with pride and plays well I don't really care.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Wait, what's Januzaj got to do with this? Do people other than ill-informed journalists actually think he's contemplating playing for England?

The real reason for his stalling over national football is the situation with the Kosovo side.

Wilshere just comes across as a cock, tbh. If England want to go down the Senna route, they're entitled to. Some of their players might benefit from playing with more quality, whether English-born or foreign.

Absolutely spot on!

Jumanji is a fine movie.

War

Chairman of Selectors
^^
:lol

Anyway been thinking about it all week and i firmly believe Hodgson should copy Liverpool's 3-4-1-2 and play in these two qualifiers & once they qualify for Brazil.

-------------------------------------------Hart-------------------------------------------------

-----------------Jones------------------Cahill----------------Smalling---------------------

Johnson----------------Gerrard--------------Carrick----------------------------Baines

--------------------------------------------Wilshere---------------------------------------------

---------------------------Sturridge------------------Rooney---------------------------------

Substitutes: Foster, Forster, Jagielka, Richards, Walker, Cole, Barkley, Henderson, Walcott, Townsend, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Welbeck.

Adopting this formations allows England to eradicate three tactical headaches:

1. Unleashing the full backs: With Glen Johnson & Ashley Cole out for these qualifiers, England have a defensive issue with the full-backs - especially at right-back. Baines is arguably better than the Ashley Cole on current form, but on the opposite flank options with Walker, Jones and Smalling it is slightly tricky.

Walker is a beast going forward, but like Johnson in his younger days, he still has to sort out him defensive acumen. Versus Ukraine in the last qualifier and West Ham on the weekend, that fault was exposed. Although they are center halves by trade Jones and Smalling are more solid defensively when played at right-back, but i am concerned about their lack of consistent game time this season.

Therefore the best option with the first choice full-backs out is to have a 3-man back-line and allow the attacking prowess of Walker and Baines to flourish as wing-backs. I would prefer to have very quick defenders which would mean placing Jagielka on the bench. You add Richards and Steven Caulker to the mix and England in my view have the young quick defenders to adopt to this formation effectively.

2. The Gerrard/Carrick/Wilshere axis: Such a formation will allow these three key mid-fielders to start in their preferred positions in the center of the park. England should not be tempted by Arsenal recent experiment of playing him on the left, since Mesut Ozil arrived.

We don't need that for arguably the most talented England mid-fielder for the next decade. Sven Goran Eriksson decision to do that with Paul Scholes in EURO 2004 criminally depleted England of his services to Manchester United's benefit.

3. Happy strikers: Similarly with the mid-field, this formation will allow Sturridge and Rooney to play as the central strikers that they want, instead of being potentially sacrificed out wide in the sake of team balance.

Using the 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation that has been Hodgson's preferred choice in 2013 should be the backup formation, with the plethora of pacy wingers in Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Townsend (Raheem Sterling and Aaron Lennon also in the mix) unleashed on tiring defenses later in games.

However i don't expect Hodgson to be this drastic and will likely play this XI:

-----------------------------Hart-------------------------------------

Jones/Walker----------Cahill--------Jagielka---------------Baines

------------------------Gerrard-------Wilshere--------------------

Townsend---------------------Rooney-------------------Welbeck

--------------------------------Sturridge---------------------------

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
ROYYYYYYYYYY DONT MESS THIS UPPP!!!

He didn't mate; he didn't! Picking Townsend was a masterstroke - the lad was amazing in his first game for England. That run he made for Rooney's goal was just what you want to see from a wide man. He didn't check back, he just stuck his head down and went for it - no fear, eh Lee? And then his goal - that just put the cherry on the cake. He reminded me of Lennon at his best - remember when he came on in the 2006 World Cup and Portugal just didn't know what to do with him?

Soooo, let's bring on our old friends Poland now. :)

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
He didn't mate; he didn't! Picking Townsend was a masterstroke - the lad was amazing in his first game for England. That run he made for Rooney's goal was just what you want to see from a wide man. He didn't check back, he just stuck his head down and went for it - no fear, eh Lee? And then his goal - that just put the cherry on the cake. He reminded me of Lennon at his best - remember when he came on in the 2006 World Cup and Portugal just didn't know what to do with him?

Soooo, let's bring on our old friends Poland now. :)

It was common sense.

Auwais

International Coach
I'd not get too ahead of myself if I were you. It was an injury hit Montenegro side missing main man Vucinic and while Townsend was impressive, I can remember Wright-Phillips scoring a very good goal on his debut and we all know what happened to him.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ye Ha, like most of these little teams they loose one big player they struggle. Although i'd say even if Vucinic was around, they probably would played a similar defensive game & look to counter with him & Jovetic.

Townsend now is just another one on the list of dangerous pacy wingers England have - for a long while this is one good strength area for England. Such a strength should be always utilized which is why it always bugs me & many others that Milner always tends to play.

Tonight always confirmed to me further that Lampard shouldn't start & once Brazil is confirmed he might not even make the squad. On a few occassions when Montenegro broke forward you saw the combined age of Stevie G & Lamps centrally. Versus stronger team in that heat in Brazil - younger legs will be needed.

England just need to beat Poland & hope come the end of the premier league season Hodgson has minimal injury worries or not at all & just maybe for once they can make a decent tilt at the world cup with all of its best players available. Simple really.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
I can remember Wright-Phillips scoring a very good goal on his debut and we all know what happened to him.

Ye SWP did score a good debut goal, but for me i never really rated him. Although as i mentioned ENG have had a few solid pacy wingers in recent years, SWP, Jermaine Pennant & Downing were among the the worsts.

Townsend of course its early days for him - but i'd be surprised if he doesn't have a good career for club & country.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Ye SWP did score a good debut goal, but for me i never really rated him. Although as i mentioned ENG have had a few solid pacy wingers in recent years, SWP, Jermaine Pennant & Downing were among the the worsts.

Townsend of course its early days for him - but i'd be surprised if he doesn't have a good career for club & country.

Townsend has shown great potential in his recent games for Spurs. I say potential because he has shown a lot of raw ability but has been quite wasteful and erratic. He deserved his call-up, and if he refines his game a bit more as he matures then I agree he'll be a solid player for Spurs and England.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I'd not get too ahead of myself if I were you. It was an injury hit Montenegro side missing main man Vucinic and while Townsend was impressive, I can remember Wright-Phillips scoring a very good goal on his debut and we all know what happened to him.

It wasn't just his goal though - it was his entire performance. I know how it goes with players - sometimes they start off great and then can't handle the extra pressure - but all you can go with is how the guy started and he started brilliantly. And no one's getting ahead of themselves; I know England aren't going to win the World Cup next year. We'll probably get a Group of Death, given that we're not seeded.

The fact is we came through a tricky game 4-1. England really can't win, can they? If we'd only beaten them 1-0, people would moan. We've beaten them 4-1, people still moan - some prat on Sky Text labelled it as the worst England performance he'd ever seen. Really? Worse than the WC qualifiers for '94? Worse than the beating by Germany, or the phantom beating by Italy?

Oh and as for the Montenegro player who said we can't handle pressure - maybe we can't, but we sure as hell handled you lot. :D

----------

Yeah - to compare Townsend to SWP is nonsensical.

Last edited:

Auwais

International Coach
Townsend now is just another one on the list of dangerous pacy wingers England have - for a long while this is one good strength area for England. Such a strength should be always utilized which is why it always bugs me & many others that Milner always tends to play.

Tonight always confirmed to me further that Lampard shouldn't start & once Brazil is confirmed he might not even make the squad. On a few occassions when Montenegro broke forward you saw the combined age of Stevie G & Lamps centrally. Versus stronger team in that heat in Brazil - younger legs will be needed.
I think it helps that Roy finally realised Welbeck is very hardworking, as well being capable of getting in goalscoring positions, so there's no need to draft in a grafter like Milner on one flank to make up the numbers.

I've got a bad feeling we'll be seeing the tired formula of Gerrard-Lampard in Brazil. Why does every England manager turn out to be an idiot with this issue? At least Capello had Gerrard start wide on the left, drifting inside and exchanging positions with Rooney.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I think it helps that Roy finally realised Welbeck is very hardworking, as well being capable of getting in goalscoring positions, so there's no need to draft in a grafter like Milner on one flank to make up the numbers.

I've got a bad feeling we'll be seeing the tired formula of Gerrard-Lampard in Brazil. Why does every England manager turn out to be an idiot with this issue? At least Capello had Gerrard start wide on the left, drifting inside and exchanging positions with Rooney.

You might be right. Gerrard/Lampard didn't work when they were at their prime; it's hardly going to work now they're on the decline.

Users who are viewing this thread