England tour of South Africa 09/10

Show me where I said to bowl full tosses. Don't make assumptions, especially when you have no idea how the game of Cricket works.

Bowling it short is okay, but it's getting predictable. The short ball is supposed to work as an element of surprise dipshit. A over full of short balls is not going to get the wicket. Make him come on the front foot, then bowl it short to surprise him.

Oh dear, oh dear. Do you want me to be all childish and use names as well? I won't if that's ok with you.

The plan is to bowl short to make him play the shot and as he's not doing that, they then pitch one on a good length to get him coming forward when he's expecting it to be short so he's on the back foot. Just because some bowlers use bouncers sparingly to get wickets, doesn't mean that there isn't another way of doing it.

I haven't seen Kallis playing so good in a very long time. Probably the best since the 2007 series in Pakistan where he scored back to back centuries.

Yeah. They were getting him thinking permanently back foot with a whole series of bouncers, in the hope that his foot movement to a ball of a fuller length wouldn't be as fluid and there'd be a chance of a false shot. It's not the normal tactic but it could have worked, I don't think the pitch is quick enough for it to work though tbh.

Onions apparently has a calf strain, which is a serious worry. We're going to struggle to take 20 wickets with just Anderson and Broad offering seam options. Hopefully he'll be able to bowl either late today or early tommorow.

Oh dear, oh dear. Do you want me to be all childish and use names as well? I won't if that's ok with you.

The plan is to bowl short to make him play the shot and as he's not doing that, they then pitch one on a good length to get him coming forward when he's expecting it to be short so he's on the back foot. Just because some bowlers use bouncers sparingly to get wickets, doesn't mean that there isn't another way of doing it.

Everytime they have bowled it full, he's been ready, and driven it nicely. He's not staying back in his crease so, playing on the front foot hasn't been a problem. Keep bowling it at a good length, and then give him the odd bouncer, which might hurry on to him. The pitch has shown that the short ball won't trouble the batsman. Bowling it straight and full will. England's gameplan has been off since winning the toss. This is a bat first surface, especially when you have Swann who will get more purchase as the match progresses.

What I've liked about this innings so far is that we haven't let England get a double strike. After every wicket we have had a decent partnership, and we just need one big one. It has to be this pair.

Everytime they have bowled it full, he's been ready, and driven it nicely. He's not staying back in his crease so, playing on the front foot hasn't been a problem. Keep bowling it at a good length, and then give him the odd bouncer, which might hurry on to him. The pitch has shown that the short ball won't trouble the batsman. Bowling it straight and full will. England's gameplan has been off since winning the toss. This is a bat first surface, especially when you have Swann who will get more purchase as the match progresses.

The bolded bit, exactly. That's why it would be stupid to just bowl where he wants the ball all day. There's no point in surprising him with the odd bouncer if he can go along at a strike rate of 80 all day. At least this way, we're restricting his run scoring which could force a big shot as he's the type that wants to score quickly.

I'm not sure, but it may be possible to bowl a length that isn't short, but isn't easy to drive. They should give a name to that length.

That's because the gameplan has been so predictable. He knows that he will get the full delivery as a 'surprise'. But the problem is that he hasn't moved back into his crease, so the full delivery is just a half volley.

Just like that! Nice shot JP.

Fatal Shot added 2 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

I'm not sure, but it may be possible to bowl a length that isn't short, but isn't easy to drive. They should give a name to that length.

It's called a good length, and England need to bowl that a lot more to Duminy. The short ball would work better if Duminy was being tempted into playing it, which he hasn't once and if the pitch was faster. The ball isn't rushing onto him, making the short ball useless at this point.

Fatal Shot added 5 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

If Trott bowls short at Duminy...

Fatal Shot added 16 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

Wow, the bowling is really weak. Anderson again shows he is useless when the conditions don't offer anything. Broad got a wicket of a nothing delivery. Onions had bowled the best, because he has been encouraging the batsman to drive, thus has created the most chances. Swann has bowled really well, but hasn't been supported at the other end. Now we have Collingwood and Trott before the new ball. We should probably cash in on some loose deliveries right about now. England have gone really defensive. Not good captaincy or selection from England. They are a bowler short. Wright should have played.

Wright should have played.

You could make a case for Sidebottom playing but not Wright. He is nowhere near test standard with bat and especially ball. We shouldn't have bits and pieces players in test cricket.

I always thought that was either simply, "good length" or perhaps "back of a length"

I think it goes, in commentary terms

full toss
yorker
too full/over-pitched
full/pitched up
good length (clipping the top of the stumps)
back of length(in at the ribs)
short/half-bunger (chest, only decent if the bowler is fast and getting variation in the bounce)
bouncer

there may be one between pitched up and good length, dunno what they call that.

Last edited:
You could make a case for Sidebottom playing but not Wright. He is nowhere near test standard with bat and especially ball. We shouldn't have bits and pieces players in test cricket.

That would kill the balance of the side. England need a all rounder to stabilize the side. With no Kallis (Bowling wise) or Steyn we will have the same problem.

And here is the new ball. Stuart Broad is the man to take it and he needs to bowl better than he did this morning with the first new ball. Having inserted South Africa, England need a couple of wickets here,

never saw this mornings session but what a surprise. most over-rated cricketer in the world right now. even if Aamer is 22 (which he's not, 20 at the most) he demonstrates that broad is still way short of a good standard in test cricket for his age.

never saw this mornings session but what a surprise. most over-rated cricketer in the world right now. even if Aamer is 22 (which he's not, 20 at the most) he demonstrates that broad is still way short of a good standard in test cricket for his age.

But he makes 50's with the bat just when we are thinking of dropping him :doh

All of England's bowler's suffer the same problem. They can come up with brilliant spells, but they aren't consistent enough. We have Steyn who is very consistent and a proven wicket taker. Ntini in his prime was also vastly under-rated as a bowler.

Class innings from Kallis. He looks really determined. Maybe that break refreshed his mind. This innings has been one of the best I have seen this year without a doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread