England tour of South Africa 09/10

But he makes 50's with the bat just when we are thinking of dropping him :doh

I know, but with swann and prior though I don't really understand this thinking.

Morne Morkel was dropped earlier this year for better than broad was, that's how bad he is.

I said earlier in a thread about aamer the only thing you want to see in young bowler is a real weapon. the consistency will come, the weapon will be more intelligently used. Aamer has his vicious swinging yorkers, kulasekara has skidding inswinger, Morkel has his bounce. What his broad's weapon? that so few batsmen are scared of him they accidentally get out trying to cart him?

Broad's weapon is his dashing good looks, which can take the batsman by surprise, who are more focused on his face rather than the ball when he bowls.

That would kill the balance of the side.

I know, but better that than carrying a passenger like Wright. I think England have got the team selection spot on here.

never saw this mornings session but what a surprise. most over-rated cricketer in the world right now. even if Aamer is 22 (which he's not, 20 at the most) he demonstrates that broad is still way short of a good standard in test cricket for his age.

Didn't he take a match winning 5 wicket haul in the deciding Ashes test in his last test match, or am I just imagining that? :confused:

I know, but better that than carrying a passenger like Wright. I think England have got the team selection spot on here.

Didn't he take a match winning 5 wicket haul in the deciding Ashes test in his last test match, or am I just imagining that? :confused:

I don't see how. They have had to use Collingwood and Trott to give the other bowlers a rest, which just means easy runs for the batsman, which has also allowed both the current batsman to get set. If they had Wright in the side, he would have had atleast some sort of chance to get a wicket from a good ball. Trott and Colly are not going to get a wicket, especially of players like Duminy and Kallis. Wright would be given atleast some sort of respect.

England have a good batting side. Strauss, Pietersen, Trott, Collingwood (who is in tremendous form), and Prior is a good test batsman. Then you have Broad and Swann down the order. Do you really need Bell in the side? I would have rather had Wright in the side to boost the bowling somewhat, and his batting isn't all too bad either. Would have added the balance which the side lacks right now.

Last edited:

yeah, pretty much his only good performance ever. it's not unusual for a bad player to play well in one match.

his other matches he has been terrible.

Collingwood and Trott only bowled so much because Onions was injured though. The problem in this side for me, is that Broad is just not an opening bowler, whereas Onions is. I wouldn't have minded seeing Plunkett in the side in place of Bell though. Someone who can do the hard yards with the ball and is capable of chipping in at 8 or 9 with the bat.

Strauss screwed up, should have batted. Good performance by the SA boys especially JK and JP. Don't agree with picking de wet, parnel should have been picked with steyn injured.

Good batting by South Africa. It isn't the easiest pitch to bat on and they are poised to make a big score. Kallis played brilliantly and hopefully this is the start of a good run for him. Swaan and Onions bowled nicely while Broad was really poor.

Strauss screwed up, should have batted. Good performance by the SA boys especially JK and JP. Don't agree with picking de wet, parnel should have been picked with steyn injured.

Parnell has a very average first class record, while I don't think De Wet was the right choice, Parnell hasn't shown enough domestically to deserve a test cap yet.

Good batting by South Africa. It isn't the easiest pitch to bat on and they are poised to make a big score. Kallis played brilliantly and hopefully this is the start of a good run for him. Swaan and Onions bowled nicely while Broad was really poor.

Parnell has a very average first class record, while I don't think De Wet was the right choice, Parnell hasn't shown enough domestically to deserve a test cap yet.

That may be the case but he has shown he has the ability as far as international cricket goes to get international players. out. Also offers the left arm variety and a decent batsmen. He might not have shown a lot but he has shown more than de wet imho.

Had to work and missed Ntinis reception on 1st day. :mad::noway:crying, hope some videos of that come up.

Sounds like it was a poor choice to bowl first. Kallis is a great player and has really stood in Englands way. He still has the goods.

Users who are viewing this thread