Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jones is the man!!

Geraint Jones puts England on top with a glorious century
England wicketkeeper batsman Geraint Jones continued his good form in the series with a fantastic and absolutely crucial century against Pakistan in the 2nd test. Jones came in to bat with the score at 227-5, and no one thought he would have got to score his hundred when Pietersen was dismissed. But thanks to some great support from Ashley Giles, and awesome batting from Jones himself, he got there within no time.

His hundred and his partnership with Giles has put England firmly on top in this game.

a134ag.jpg

First he gets to his 50

And then the moment came....
a140ho.jpg

Jones and Giles

England in control
England have taken pole position in this match thanks to an absolute blinder of an innings from Geraint Jones. A wide range of shots at a most crucial time in this game, Jones has taken the match away from Pakistan. He has been supported well by Ashley Giles, and both these batsmen remain unbeaten at Lunch on this second day of the match.

a154od.jpg

Shoaib Akhtar got the only wicket to fall this morning, that of Kevin Pietersen. At that time it looked like England would struggle to even reach 400.

a166is.jpg

Match Summary
England (1st Innings) 421-6
Geraint Jones 112*
Ashley Giles 32*
Partnership - 107*
Andrew Strauss 76
Marcus Trescothick 68
Kevin Pietersen 62

Shoaib Akhtar 4-68

Hard fought innings by both Ashley and Geraint with only 0 and 6 boundaries respectively. Brilliant come back by England. Geraint now should be looking to score quickly after lunch.

cricket doctor said:
Hard fought innings by both Ashley and Geraint with only 0 and 6 boundaries respectively. Brilliant come back by England. Geraint now should be looking to score quickly after lunch.
Actually I was a lot more aggressive with Geraint in the second part of his innings. If you notice he had just one boundary when he reached 50, and scored the remaining five after that. Could have scored more boundaries with him, but the CPU went on the defensive to him with a lot of fielders on the boundary line.

m_vaughan said:
Actually I was a lot more aggressive with Geraint in the second part of his innings. If you notice he had just one boundary when he reached 50, and scored the remaining five after that. Could have scored more boundaries with him, but the CPU went on the defensive to him with a lot of fielders on the boundary line.
Yes I had already noticed that, but what I meant was, that overall it was a hard fought inning. Anyways, keep it up mate. This is shaping up into a very good contest. :happy :happy

this is a good total by england they have enoguh on the board i think more runs will be bonus

Well batted Gilo, its very difficult to bat with the tailender against spin bowling, i never use the defensive shot because it almsot always pops up, i just leave of clip to the legside. KUTGW

S_Harmison said:
Well batted Gilo, its very difficult to bat with the tailender against spin bowling, i never use the defensive shot because it almsot always pops up, i just leave of clip to the legside. KUTGW
Couldnt agree more. But however I also like using the sweep and the cover drive whenever possible. But incase of left arm spinners bowling outside leg stump (to a righthander), the legside clip seems to be the safest option, apart from just leaving it.

England bowled out for 487

Butt and Razzaq do the clean up
Salman Butt and Abdul Razzaq have picked up the last four England wickets, to the end their innings at the score of 487. Salman Butt, was the surprise package with the ball for Pakistan on a day when the main bowlers failed to pick up wickets. Butt first dismissed Ashley Giles for 42, and then got rid off Matthew Hoggard for 6. Abdul Razzaq then trapped Steve Harmison lbw for a wellmade 13, before getting the main man Geraint Jones right in the end, caught by Shoaib Akhtar for a fantastic and possibly match-winning 141.

a171gc.jpg

a181sj.jpg

a193jp.jpg

a209tn.jpg

But all in all, a good batting performance from England. When Pietersen went, few would have thought England would manage to get these many runs. But that partnership between Jones and Giles was crucial for the visitors, and as well as Jones played his innings of 141, one must also not forget the vital 42 of Giles, and more importantly the support he gave to Jones from the other end, throughout that partnership.

a213ku.jpg

Its still a good batting track, so Pakistan can yet make a match out of this. They will have to however put in a much better batting performance than what they did in the first test at Multan.

To avoid the follow on, the home side need to score 288.

Match Summary
England (1st Innings) 487
Geraint Jones 141
Andrew Strauss 76
Marcus Trescothick 68
Kevin Pietersen 62

Shoaib Akhtar 4-93
Salman Butt 2-30
Abdul Razzaq 2-75

I think they could struggle to avoid the follow on here! Our boys will be fired up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread