England's ODI squad

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
England Cricket News: 'No chance' England will win World Cup - Graeme Swann | ESPN Cricinfo

Can't disagree with Swann & Vaughan here, for a long time it has always bothered me when ENGs ODI top three was Cook/Bell/Trott - they may not have disgraced themselves, but you always felt ENG were unnecessarily handicapping themselves in ODIs by keeping those 3 in the team.

I would certainly drop Cook & Bell, given the excellent young attacking players available to ENG in odi's.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Yeah I saw that article.

It's just so symptomatic of the ethos of the England management of the last few years. Authoritarian knobheads carefully staffing the team with dull accumulators for the purposes of their boring, shit tactical schemes that obviously never worked. Great. Here's to another X years of that.

Equally what he says about Bell is telling. If the guy who was one of best few spinners in the world and played on your team for years doesn't trust you to hit the ball off the square in an odi, maybe you're not actually all that special at getting the ball off the square.

D

Deleted member 9102

I love cricket and I watch England when I can, but I hate the management of the team. It won't change... The only half chance we had of any sort of shake up was if Cook had failed miserably all series and we didn't turn the test series around.

That win against a crap India side will paper over the cracks and see the current shitty system/captain/tactics/management stay in place for a few more years.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
It's like they're motivated by a deeply rooted mistrust of good ball striking.

bigred

Club Captain
Really can't understand this anti Bell vibe and to a lesser extent anti Cook. If both of these lads went back and played a whole season in the Royal London 50 over competition they'd be in the top 5 run scorers, if not 1 and 2. Bell can obviously find the rope with ease. The washout at Bristol allowed Sky to remind us of Bell's hitting ability in the WC match in Bangalore. He also demonstrated his ability to bat at a healthy strike rate in a power play during t20 finals day. Without Bell we are a weaker team.

There is more of a case for Cook to not play. Especially as most teams will be looking to get 70-80 from the first ten overs in Australia and then looking to push on to 290-310 as a par score. However, what are the alternative options in terms of openers?

1. Carberry- has a very good domestic record but doesn't look up to international standard.

2. Vince- think he will be an excellent England player but hasn't got one cap in any format. Hardly the time to start bringing him into our plans. Should open in the WC 2019.

3. Lumb- great strike rate but gets out below 10 so often.

4. Trott- same problem as Cook

5. Ballance- Never opened before.

6. Root- Clearly doesn't want to do it.

7. Pietersen- not going there again

8. Roy- a lot of hype. Averages below 30 in list A cricket. Stick to t20.

9. Chopra- Only one score this year.

10. Wright- the person who I'd most like to come in and open if Cook were unavailable. He is so much better than he was a couple of years ago and has developed his game so that he is successful in all 3 formats.

So for me, Cook, Hales and Bell is the best top 3 we've got.

D

Deleted member 9102

Why has James Taylor not been in the side for so long and never gets a mention? Whenever I've seen him play this season he's been excellent and it looks like he's on his way to yet another century right now for Notts.

He plays his shots, his averages are fantastic and he is captain material.

Edit - And he just made it to his century.

Last edited by a moderator:

grkrama

National Board President
England Cricket News: 'No chance' England will win World Cup - Graeme Swann | ESPN Cricinfo

if we get 239 - this was before the fielding restrictions changed a bit so it would be more now, I assume - we will win 72% of matches.

Swann called Bopara's absence "absolutely crazy", saying: "Ravi gives you so much more than batting - bowling, unbelievable fielder. I would build a batting order around Joe Root. He has proved he can score at a run a ball or more, play crazy shots, and bowls offspin. James Taylor is in incredible form. Taylor and Root can both score very quickly and they're your two proper players. I think someone higher up doesn't rate Taylor and it's a crying shame."

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Why has James Taylor not been in the side for so long and never gets a mention?
I think we're all crying out for him to be given a go in the ODI side.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
The problem for Taylor was those games against Ireland, especially his début. The England management seemed to think that he'd struggle with the short ball due to his height. Then against Ireland, he got bounced out by Rankin, so they kind of sat back smugly and said 'There you go, see?'

I agree he deserves a go though. He could bat 4 for me, with Morgan and Buttler behind him. Just give him a series or two and see what happens really. Probably means a choice between Root and Ballance for 3 though, which is where the problems come in.

Oh, and I appreciate that I'm biased, but I can't believe someone up the page listed 10 opening options for One Day cricket without mentioning Craig Kieswetter. With or without the gloves, he's been the best opening batsman domestically for the last few years at least. Much improved from the last time he played Internationals too. I'd back him to be a better option that flavours of the month like Roy and Vince.

D

Deleted member 9102

I think we're all crying out for him to be given a go in the ODI side.
Why was Bairstow given so many more chances in both the Test and ODI side? What does Onions have to do to get back in the frame? The whole selection/management of the England side is a load of bullshit and I'm fed up with it.

bigred

Club Captain
The problem for Taylor was those games against Ireland, especially his début. The England management seemed to think that he'd struggle with the short ball due to his height. Then against Ireland, he got bounced out by Rankin, so they kind of sat back smugly and said 'There you go, see?'

I agree he deserves a go though. He could bat 4 for me, with Morgan and Buttler behind him. Just give him a series or two and see what happens really. Probably means a choice between Root and Ballance for 3 though, which is where the problems come in.

Oh, and I appreciate that I'm biased, but I can't believe someone up the page listed 10 opening options for One Day cricket without mentioning Craig Kieswetter. With or without the gloves, he's been the best opening batsman domestically for the last few years at least. Much improved from the last time he played Internationals too. I'd back him to be a better option that flavours of the month like Roy and Vince.

To be honest, I've got no problem with Kieswetter playing. However I preferred it when he came in at 5 or 6 for England. If he's improved technically though then perhaps he's worth another go. Don't think he'll be anywhere near the selectors thoughts though.

bigred

Club Captain
Dominic Cork made me laugh during his commentary today. Went on and on about poor selection and that Taylor had to be in. He's then asked to pick his 15 for the World Cup and couldn't find any room for him. Idiot.

His 15 was

1. Hales
2. Lumb
3. Bell
4. Root
5. Morgan
6. Ali
7. Buttler
8. Stokes
9. Broad
10. Anderson
11. Gurney

12. Patel
13. Vince
14. Woakes
15. Finn

Lumb probably won't make the preliminary 30 man squad. He also said he feels that the selectors are too influenced by test match performances and then he goes and picks Moeen, who hasn't exactly got a great one day record, above Tredwell who has been solid for two years in that format. Can Sky not get anyone better to do the job?

ferg512

International Coach

I understand that if you're talking test cricket but in ODI cricket I don't really think playing the short ball is that much of an issue. Look at guys like Bailey, Maxwell etc. don't have great techniques yet they excel in ODI cricket. Taylor has something special about him from what I've seen this season, and he at least deserves a crack thats for sure. Swann is right though, I think England will be massively overachieving if they reach the semis at the world cup.

Users who are viewing this thread