England's tour of India - 2021

Appeal was for caught behind - umpire's call not out. No edge

So they checked LBW, and it couldn't have been more out despite impact being marginally out of off (umpire's call comes to play)

You could see the off stump as the ball hit the pads with the leg barely a feet from the stumps. It would have crashed into the stumps 11 times out of 10

But as per the rules it is the RIGHT DECISION
If the impact is half outside off, how can you say it’s 100% out?

That Root lbw was pretty ridiculous. Not sure of the specific instances of the problems England had with DRS, but umpire's call on impact on pad before the stumps is pretty irrelevant. It showed after that it would've taken out off stump cleanly which makes sense to give out. If there were two umpires' calls on pad impact and stump impact it would've been fine, but there was no common sense in that decision.

Not right and pretty pointless to argue with the umpires, but then again Kohli is a different guy than Root and more often than not he can get a bit aggressive in the moment.

The visual was just too obvious - the ball would hit the stumps every time without a doubt, unless there was some divine intervention

It didn’t look half outside off to me. Check the replay, you’ll know how it was ridiculous

It didn’t look half outside off to me. Check the replay, you’ll know how it was ridiculous
Tendulkar looked plumb in the 2011 semifinal too, doesn’t mean DRS was wrong :p
Unless there’s an analysis and it’s proven to be wrong, i don’t know what the fuss is all about. These decisions can go either way.
Post automatically merged:

@abhi_jacko

English fans need to pipe down and just accept that they're not very good on spinning pitches. All this complaining is ridiculous
It is a fact. Same goes for the Indian side on seaming pitches with swing on offer. Indians struggle even on flat pitches where there is movement against quality bowling line-up. Adelaide Test is a good example of that.

It is a fact. Same goes for the Indian side on seaming pitches with swing on offer. Indians struggle even on flat pitches where there is movement against quality bowling line-up. Adelaide Test is a good example of that.

And we will probably struggle again in the 3rd game since its a Day nighter

And we will probably struggle again in the 3rd game since its a Day nighter
Rightly said so. But if there is some sort of a spell like that Hardik Pandya 5-fer at Nottingham in 2018 Test series then you never know. England in this Test lacked a spell which India had with Ashwin's bowling.
Post automatically merged:

Enlgand are most certainly losing this match by 150+ runs.

Everyone yesterday: "English fans need to pipe down and just accept that they're not very good on spinning pitches. All this complaining is ridiculous"

I wonder why English fans are not focusing their spotlights on the spinners as much as they should have? I know that us Indian fans have a tendency to be overcritical of our own sides but the one thing we frequently blamed for our SENA failures besides the general haplessness of our batsmen (that tends to happen at home too) was the total ineffectiveness of our pacers on pitches that they were supposed to take advantage of.

Be it Umesh Yadav spraying on legside, Shami's near misses that may draw oohs and aahs but aren't likely to truly fetch wickets, pre-Sussex Ishant's toothlessness with his lack of variety and the gazillion military medium pacers who would bowl short of length and get pasted everywhere, we knew that to win games and close them out bowlers are key. The batsmen could bat all they want to secure commanding positions and draws but to win games, your bowlers need to stand up.

And I genuinely feel that Mo and Leach have been short of the standard required in this test. Leach started off with a terrific spell today but whether it was down to fatigue or lack of experience/consistency, he faltered as the game went on. Leach's also got an atrocious record in the first innings, he pretty much seems to be the spinner's version of Shami at the moment. This is a spin friendly pitch, it is inevitable that you will get wickets but the key is in remaining consistent to apply pressure and nab them earlier.

For most of the game, I've seen the English spinners bowl a few beautiful balls but revert back to bowling tripe and full toss grenades that releases every bit of pressure that they worked to build. That is not the way to go as you will inevitably get the wickets with one unplayable ball eventually but by that point, the rest of your good deliveries will be blocked safely while the loose ones will be dispatched and you'll lose momentum. Picking up four wickets may appear pretty on the scoreboard but when you nearly concede one-third of the opposition's rather high total that way it isn't ideal.

Look at Ashwin and Axar in contrast. Both attacked and got rewards too but they also bowled tight spells to complement that. Kuldeep in contrast wasn't very effective and looked lost, releasing pressure and would have been the weak link like Nadeem in first test if he had bowled more.

KP and Chef were brilliant with the bat on your lot's last win here but without Swann pulling the strings with economical spell after spell and Panesar being in the form of his life in terms of wicket-taking, there would have been no foundation to win. Not saying that the batsmen don't matter in subcontinental conditions, but I've seen SENA teams hunt too frequently for 'better batsmen of spin' and blame that for their losses when the better solution would be to look at their spin bowling cupboard and realize that it isn't as shiny as it appears.

I don't know why Pujara is playing in this series! He is not 100% fit. India need to start searching for Puji's replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread