Story England's tour of the Caribbean

When Black came in, he looked confident from the off, smashing the bowling all over the park on his way to a more than useful 40. He is so far the only batsman who has not struggled early in his innings. A shrewd bowling change brought on Giles who removed Black in his first over. Perhaps the only criticism of Vaughn's captaincy was that Giles was not brought back earlier.

In what has turned out to be a controversial day, complaints were being heard about the quality of the umpiring. 3 plumb LBW decisions were turned down, and after the Hussain debacle on day 1, tempers were high. Wickets fell reasonably steadily though and with Lawson mistiming a drive that ballooned to Thorpe, West Indies A were finally all out for 184.

Top score for the innings was extras which fell just short of a half century. The bowling coaches need to address this issue before the potentially tight second innings where England trail by 63 runs.

Hoggard was the pick of the England attack, finishing with 6 for 42, and Harmison deserved better figures as several of the 57 he conceded were mis played shots that did not go to hand.

The slightly better scorecard. Still can't bowl anyone, and as for the lack of LBW's, I think the match referee may be called in on some of the abuse the umpires were getting. If the bowlers lose their match fees - its probably deserved. Filthy mouths these cricketers!

Attachments

• scorecard - innings 2.jpg
    scorecard - innings 2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Partnerships. Not much to fax home about. And, because I was impressesed with his batting, Black's spider graph.

Attachments

• partnerships - innings 2.jpg
    partnerships - innings 2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 80
Good story so far mate! Great performance from hoggard, he wasnt doing very well for me so i replaced him with Richard Johnson

Originally posted by The_gas
Good story so far mate! Great performance from hoggard, he wasnt doing very well for me so i replaced him with Richard Johnson

Best I've had with Hoggard. Conditions seem to suit him - low bounce off this normal pitch and just a hint of swing / seam. Also, their batters were content to leave / block a lot which helped. Johnson is my back-up for the 1-day series. Not been very successful for me in the past. 2nd innings is now under way.

England desperately needed a better performance from all. This certainly happened at the start with Vaughn hitting 10 from the first over, and Trescothic hooking freely. Runs came at a good rate until Trescothic was LBW from the spinner - Ganga. No complaints about this one as it was plumb. England finish the day on 65 for 1 after 20 overs.

Day 3 started well with Vaughn and Butcher playing well - then Vaughn was yorked for 48 and the tension grew. Butcher missed a straight lolloping nothing of a ball and looked very embarassed as he headed back to the dressing room. Hussain looked solid once more as wickets fell around him until another LBW from a ball that pitched about 6 feet from the bowler and hit him just in line. Probably out, but certainly unlucky. Lunch on day 3 saw England on 172/6:- 109 runs ahead. Somehow, England's tail needs to bat for another session at least to give themselves something to bowl at. Its crunch time!

nice to see someone else having to grin out their runs good luck!

Well, England are all out for 221. A fighting rear guard spoiled by 2 stupid run outs. Read involved again when he looked settled on 17, and Giles after a gutsy 29. Hoggard stuck out for a while and Harmison made a battling 10 including a wonderful straight drive for 4.

West Indies A require 159 to win. Weather permitting West Indies are the firm favourites and sensible batting should see them home. England will have to pull out a sensational performance to win this game. Stranger things have happened so who knows?

Harmison shows the bowler the maker's name! This went straight back for 4. Bowler not happy - no indeedy!

Attachments

• harm1.jpg
    harm1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 69

Users who are viewing this thread