English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye it was a great game, even I can admit that. Gotta take into account that we're missing forwards at this time as well. How solid is Coca Colocinni though?!

Not really sure what everyones been arguing about so i'll just say my piece. Manchester united are champions of England and Europe woooooo.

Anyway Michael Owen seems in good form. Funny how at the weekend big nose Phil bias whore Thompson goes I know Michael and he'll take 6 or 7 games to get back in form. Oh really, you know so much don't you, such an incredible football mind, where do you store your knowledge, your nose? Interesting game though, can't belive the miss just before the end of the first half of extra time but if Coventry can score twice against Newcastle, why the hell can't we!

good to see small teams like Everton winning
and also Stoke and Hull.

Did you hear that Matt? Everton is a small team....:p

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/english-premier-league/grella-snapped-up-by-rovers-130359/
Socceroos midfielder Vince Grella has signed a four-year deal with Blackburn Rovers after completing his transfer move from Torino.
The 29-year-old will join fellow Australian international Brett Emerton at Ewood Park in the English Premier League after Rovers reportedly agreed to a STG4 million ($A8.6million) transfer.

After a decade in the Italian Serie A, Grella could make his Premier League debut as early as this weekend against Lucas Neill's West Ham.

Grella began his European career with Empoli in the Serie A in 1998 before moving to Parma in 2004, where he was joined by fellow Socceroo Mark Bresciano, and then to Torino in 2007.

That doesn't mean a team is small. There are some big teams that you've never seen win a trophy, look at Nottingham Forest, have you ever seen them win a trophy, yet they are a big team, 2 european cups.

Everton won the League in 84-85 and 86-87, and arguably had the best team in Europe, so could have won the European Cup if it wasn't for English clubs being thrown out of Europe. We could easily have been a far bigger side now if it wasn't for the Europe ban. We also won the FA Cup in 1995.

Ipswich won the FA Cup and the UEFA Cup but we are a small team.

Trophies don't determine the 'size' of a Football Club.

Of course they do, Manchester United wouldn't be anywhere near the side they are without winning all those titles and the European cups. The same with Liverpool, Barcelona, Real Madrid etc. The reason Ipswich aren't a big club now is because they failed to keep prolonged success. Everton would have been a far bigger club now if they'd have won the European Cup, the increased finance and recognition that would have come from it could have brought far more prolonged success, which is the key to becoming a big club. If you look around the world, there aren't many big clubs that aren't majorly sucessful. Newcastle are probably the biggest club in England that have failed to gain prolonged success, and they're not exactly massive.

I've got used to people calling us small over the years. Doesn't bother me really; i'd rather us be written off to be honest.

Of course they do, Manchester United wouldn't be anywhere near the side they are without winning all those titles and the European cups.
I'm afraid you're wrong there. We went 26 years without a league title, yet we were still the biggest club in England. We had the traditions of an attacking side, in a time when teams like Arsenal, Liverpool and Leeds were playing defensive football. United has more history than Liverpool, who are the only possible competitors in England, all the rest are a long way back. We had a massive fanbase in the 70's and 80's and during the season we spent in the second divsion in the 70's, our average attendance actually increased!

As much as I hate to say it, Leeds are a bigger club than much of what is in the top league these days. Interesting topic though, if you were picking the 20 biggest teams in the country, who would you pick?

But United weren't ever a massive team until the Ferguson era, and then came the 10 league titles and 2 champions leagues and now United are one of the biggest teams in the world. In the modern era the big clubs are the successful ones, those being:

Real Madrid
Manchester United
Arsenal
Juventus
Inter Milan
Bayern Munich
Ajax
Liverpool (massive past success and recent CL sucesses)

I can't think of many "top" teams that haven't had much success in recent times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread