English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew Owen would be good for United =] You provide him with chances and he'll put them away. He showed quality movement to get away from the defenders, and then the goal was made by Giggs's pass which was different class under that sort of game situation pressure. Quality game of football.

The way Owen has started at Utd reminds me very much of how Andy Cole started. Granted, Owen hasn't got the pressure of Cole's (then) huge ?7m price tag, but he has got the pressure that he used to play for our greatest rivals. He's been getting lots of chances, when he's settled in properly (like Cole), expect him to put them away more often than not, (like Cole).

"90:00+5:37 GOAL - Andy Griffin:Stoke 4 - 3 Blackpool Andy Griffin finds the back of the net with a goal from the edge of the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Stoke 4-3 Blackpool."

:mad: How do these big teams get away with it all the time? Pulis-time alright. Can't wait to read the newspaper articles about this tomorrow, it's official, football is corrupt.

With all the hoo-hah about the extra time at Old Trafford, did anyone notice that there were eight or nine minutes added on at Stamford Bridge as well? I think it's time we used a 'stop the clock' method for subs/celebrations/injuries and so on, that will bring an end to the confusion.

I say we just end the game at 90. As soon as the clock gets to 90 the goals should just sink into the ground. That'll solve everything :p

I say we just end the game at 90. As soon as the clock gets to 90 the goals should just sink into the ground. That'll solve everything :p

And herald in a new era of ridiculous time wasting. It's bad enough now when players know it will be added on afterwards.

Stop the clock method though will end up in the game being very long indeed. The ball is only in play for just over half of the match anyway. The current method is fine, as long as we don't get bitter, bitter people complaining that they've been hard done to, when they haven't.

And herald in a new era of ridiculous time wasting. It's bad enough now when players know it will be added on afterwards.

I was joking, if you hadn't noticed.

Stop the clock method though will end up in the game being very long indeed. The ball is only in play for just over half of the match anyway. The current method is fine, as long as we don't get bitter, bitter people complaining that they've been hard done to, when they haven't.

The thing is that's always going to happen, whether it's added time, a dodgy referee decision or anything else, there will always be bitter fans. Just something that will never go away.

The team in question is very good at being bitter. Why was the national reaction on Sunday one of: only happens at United.

A) As last night proved it can happen anywhere to anyone. And infact was fairly added on anyway. Haven't seen one newspaper/website article about last night and how Stoke get all the decisions against smaller clubs.
B) Is there a block on the other team scoring in that time? I didn't realise United were the only ones with the ability to score then.

One thing's for sure, it's put City back into their place, as "little old city who don't get the decisions" after their fans pretending they were massive since signing Tevez. And their reaction has been funny.:D

Last edited:
FergieTime.png

:D

2 seconds off and, if the referee really is playing to the letter of the law, he should have blown at 5:25. Carlton Cole was stopped from scoring last weekend after the ref blew despite him about to be one on one with the keeper.

I was hoping City would lose anyway. If only it was Owen scoring the winner against Liverpool. That would have caused an all or riot.

EDIT: Why Graham Poll's in that gif, I have no idea. Plus, Howard Webb our best ref? He's a complete and utter joke. He makes more wrong decisions that any one. Carrick - Spurs, Messi - Bayern and last week of the top of my head.

Will_NA added 4 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

_46410978_owentevez.jpg

Last edited:
The team in question is very good at being bitter. Why was the national reaction on Sunday one of: only happens at United.

A) As last night proved it can happen anywhere to anyone. And infact was fairly added on anyway. Haven't seen one newspaper/website article about last night and how Stoke get all the decisions against smaller clubs.
B) Is there a block on the other team scoring in that time? I didn't realise United were the only ones with the ability to score then.

One thing's for sure, it's put City back into their place, as "little old city who don't get the decisions" after their fans pretending they were massive since signing Tevez. And their reaction has been funny.:D

Sir Alex:

'Sometimes you have a neighbour, and sometimes they're noisy. There's nothing you can do about that.'

Classic. :laugh

Just a little but interesting fact from the Guardian..

In 48 games when United were ahead, the average amount of stoppage time was 191.35 seconds. In 12 matches when United were drawing or losing there was an average of 257.17sec.

The average stoppage time added at Old Trafford in the period in question is below that given at Anfield, the Emirates Stadium and Stamford Bridge. United's is 205 seconds, compared to Liverpool's 210sec, Arsenal's 224sec and Chelsea's 229sec.

In 2006-07, for example, United were winning 15 times on entering stoppage time and referees added an average 194.53sec. In the four games when United were not winning there was an average of 217.25sec. The following year the disparity was greater, Opta's figures showing an average 178.29sec added when United were winning and 254.5sec when they were not. Last season it was 187.71sec compared to 258.6sec.

The pattern has continued in the first three games of the season. In the two games United have led they have played an average 304sec of injury time. On Sunday, Atkinson allowed the game to go on for 415sec.

Okay and then bring to the fore the stats by the sun which you seem to have missed which seems to show how United actually seem to have some of the lowest stoppage time averages. It is possible to bat for both sides. It happens, get over it.

Just watched the highlights from MOTD2 and it actually looks like Given kept City in the game, Berbatov looked pretty good but seemed to fail in front of goal. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread