English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice performance by us today against Villa, after the early scare. Vidic was a lucky boy to stay on that pitch! When we equalised though, there was only ever going to be one winner, and it was bound to come from Rooney (his head, specifically) as soon as he was introduced. Berba played well - he worked harder than I've ever seen him! Owen looked good, took his goal very well, then he picked up an injury (but it's actually his first since coming to Utd, so it's not as if he's been injury prone this season). Valencia and Park were superb - Park in particular was a real live wire!

So, that's another one safely in the bag. :D

Yeah was a really easy win for us except the late attack in desperation by Villa but we defended well and Rooney, being so small is heading the ball way better than Peter Crouch. He is becoming a more complete striker and departure of Ronaldo has really helped Rooney. Owen, well I must say he has been very unlucky this season. Whenever he impresses he has to be sub off due to some injury. Last time was against Wolfsburg at home and today, it could have been the day when he could have made a huge statement for himself. Anyways 1 in the bag and 2 more to come. :banana2

Can't believe Nzonzi didn't get sent off today. That was just atrocious.

I propose a managerial boxing match - Rafa v Allardyce. Lets see if Rafa opens his mouth so much after Allardyce leaves him feeding through a straw.....

Okay Wenger's really pissed me off now. He thinks the FA should take action against Shawcross.

You have to feel for him though. Arsenal have been struggling with injuries throughout the season. It just Wenger's frustration.
I gave my opinion that it was purely accidental when I watched it live but Wenger got all rights to cry. Ramsey is his third player in recent time who got this nasty injury.
It of course was just coincidence but managers use to lose temperament every now and then specially again media..
Did not Sir Alex criticize referee without a much of evidence? It was also coincident that they got couple of bad decisions in consecutive matches.
Still it would be unfair to ask for more Punishment for Shawcross though.

Interesting that Capello picked 24 players here, since that he will only be taking 23 to the world cup. Shawcross the odd one out i guess.

Overall expect for Owen not being there (& disappointingly getting injured), the squad is fairly ok.

I respect his reasoning for leaving out J Cole at the momemt for Downing. But hopefully Downing isn't in the WC 23-man squad & Cole is back ASAP.

Think A Young deserved a place ahead of SWP. SWP has consistently looked woeful at international level & is not holding onto a regular place at City right now.

Campbell should be in ahead of Lescott too.

Interesting that Capello picked 24 players here, since that he will only be taking 23 to the world cup. Shawcross the odd one out i guess.

Overall expect for Owen not being there (& disappointingly getting injured), the squad is fairly ok.

I respect his reasoning for leaving out J Cole at the momemt for Downing. But hopefully Downing isn't in the WC 23-man squad & Cole is back ASAP.

Think A Young deserved a place ahead of SWP. SWP has consistently looked woeful at international level & is not holding onto a regular place at City right now.

Campbell should be in ahead of Lescott too.

Didn't think about Joe Cole, but fully fit or not, he needs games, so he should be in the squad. Half fit Cole over Downing any day.

Didn't think about Joe Cole, but fully fit or not, he needs games, so he should be in the squad. Half fit Cole over Downing any day.

WORD UPPP SON, i really dont see what managers see it Downing, i'm strongly beginning to accept the theory that it could be that he really impresses in training or something. Since after all these years, it plainly obvious that he has not translated club form to the international stage.

I believe this is last official friendly before the world cup or something?. So hopefully when the WC squad is picked Cole is in & Downing is not.

EDIT:

I just checked & we have 2 more friendlies on May 24 & 29th vs Mexico & Japan before the WC

Last edited:
Fabio Capello courts Spurs defender Ledley King to shore up England backline | Mail Online

EXCLUSIVE: Owen Hargreaves tells England manager Fabio Capello: I won't make World Cup | Mail Online

Two interesting headlines here i just spotted. Can't give Capello wrong for considering King again regardless of his unique injury woes.

While i guess the entire England was sort of resigned to the fact that Hargreaves wasn't going to fit for the WC. I just hope we see him in England & United colours again, such a top player..

World Cup 2010 - FIFA ponder scrapping offside rule - Yahoo! Eurosport

I don't know where to start with this rant about FIFA (and, its going to be a rant I can promise).

I guess the I'll cover the story from this news source. Scrapping offside. One of the fundemental rules of football, which prevents goal hanging and ridiculous scores. FIFA don't look at common sense things like technology, which other sports have implemented extremely well. They look at introducing 2 more officials in Europa cup matches. Thats right, TWO more incompetant refs on the pitch. They also take the original offside rule, and make it more confusing with the interferring in play crap, making it harder to referee and causing more ridiculous decisions from officials that are as confused as the players themselves.

FIFA are also incredibly corrupt. Many of you will have seen Panarama in the UK about FIFA delegates taking backhanders (money not the other thing....) when countries were bidding for the world cups etc. Jack Warner - serial clown and disgrace to the game, asked Scottish officials if the money from an international game could be paid directly into his bank account, instead of the countries governing body. He also used world cup ticket sales to fill his families bank account (illegally), a matter FIFA knew about but decided to ignore, proof that corruption is common place in FIFA. Waner then came out and said (when launching our bid for 2018) that "no one likes England" and that we weren't "big" in football anymore. If I was to say no one likes Trinidad and Tobago I'd be labelled racist. Also, don't we have one of the best leagues in the world and ranked a not too shabby 8th in the world, ahead of countries with far larger populations?

This man is the Vice President of FIFA too.

And that brings me onto the head honcho, the fat enforcer, the Blatter. I don't think I need to say too much about this guy. Best sumed up by his quote on Womens football. "I think its a great idea if they wear tight shorts."

So, we have a sexist, racist and corrupt organisation running world football, who are intent on ruining our game by ignoring common sense rule changes and implementing ones that they decide whilst playing drinking games in a strip club. And theres nothing we can do about it.

Can't believe Nzonzi didn't get sent off today. That was just atrocious.
Yup.It was he who was stopping Lucas from going for the ball and he pushes him in frustration as well.Should have got a red.Torres and Mascherano had a good game and Reina was fabulous.If not for him we would have lost two vital points.

World Cup 2010 - FIFA ponder scrapping offside rule - Yahoo! Eurosport

I don't know where to start with this rant about FIFA (and, its going to be a rant I can promise).

I guess the I'll cover the story from this news source. Scrapping offside. One of the fundemental rules of football, which prevents goal hanging and ridiculous scores. FIFA don't look at common sense things like technology, which other sports have implemented extremely well. They look at introducing 2 more officials in Europa cup matches. Thats right, TWO more incompetant refs on the pitch. They also take the original offside rule, and make it more confusing with the interferring in play crap, making it harder to referee and causing more ridiculous decisions from officials that are as confused as the players themselves.

FIFA are also incredibly corrupt. Many of you will have seen Panarama in the UK about FIFA delegates taking backhanders (money not the other thing....) when countries were bidding for the world cups etc. Jack Warner - serial clown and disgrace to the game, asked Scottish officials if the money from an international game could be paid directly into his bank account, instead of the countries governing body. He also used world cup ticket sales to fill his families bank account (illegally), a matter FIFA knew about but decided to ignore, proof that corruption is common place in FIFA. Waner then came out and said (when launching our bid for 2018) that "no one likes England" and that we weren't "big" in football anymore. If I was to say no one likes Trinidad and Tobago I'd be labelled racist. Also, don't we have one of the best leagues in the world and ranked a not too shabby 8th in the world, ahead of countries with far larger populations?

This man is the Vice President of FIFA too.

And that brings me onto the head honcho, the fat enforcer, the Blatter. I don't think I need to say too much about this guy. Best sumed up by his quote on Womens football. "I think its a great idea if they wear tight shorts."

So, we have a sexist, racist and corrupt organisation running world football, who are intent on ruining our game by ignoring common sense rule changes and implementing ones that they decide whilst playing drinking games in a strip club. And theres nothing we can do about it.

Completely agree with everything you said there.

FIFA is a joke. No offside rule? Are they insane? That's like saying we are now allowing two goalkeepers, or taking goalkeepers away all together. Completely ridiculous and hopefully we'll never see it happen.

Word out, not having the off-side rule would be madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread