English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Walcott didn't look that good tonight. Personally I'd still have Beckham starting, no matter his age or where he plays, he is still the best passer in the world. All these young players have great potential but lack consistency which is what's going to be needed at the World Cup.

Walcott didn't look that good tonight. Personally I'd still have Beckham starting, no matter his age or where he plays, he is still the best passer in the world. All these young players have great potential but lack consistency which is what's going to be needed at the World Cup.

Beckham is a must for the World Cup squad. As for Walcott, he hasn't looked good since he had that amazing game against Croatia, which is a shame. I hope Lennon gets fit - he's a player that's impressed me a lot. When he came on against Portugal in the last World Cup, they didn't know what to do with him.

Quite right Treva. Was at the game tonight. Have to say that the Egypt fans were fantastic and added to a great atmosphere this evening. I decided not to boo John Terry. Some fans did, though I'd say most fans didn't. He was brilliant tonight. There were no boos from the middle of the first half onwards.

Being at the game, you appreciate space that you can't see on T.V and also the movement of the players. Rooney does the simple stuff so well. Thats why he's so good. Barry, Lampard and Gerrard all tried over elaborate stuff and ignored obvious passes until it was too late. It doesn't work - Lampard, Barry and Gerrard out wide. Gerrard drifts inside too much meaning we are stupidly narrow. Lampard looked slow and completely out of form. And Barry hasn't been good all season. It's time we played the best player in each position, even if that means we leave out a "big gun" like Gerrard, Lampard or Barry. - How good was Carrick when he came on?! The reason? He's used to sitting and playing short, quick passes at United. He dictated the tempo of the 2nd half where the other three failed in the first.

As for our forward line - Defoe and Rooney don't work. Crouch and Rooney works because Crouch got the ball down and layed it off to others. Defoe can't do that. IT HAS TO BE ROONEY AND EITHER COLE/HESKEY/CROUCH or a 4-5-1 formation, which Gerrard joining Rooney.

A final thought. We had two Egyption supporters next to us. They were obviously proud supporters of their national team - they sang , held a flag etc. The majority of us were actually enjoying the freindly atmosphere they were creating and me and some mates were talking to them throughout the match. However, after the Egyption goal - we started hearing stuff from a couple of guys behind us towards the Egyption lads that was abusive and bordering on racist. It was a disgrace and proof that we still have a long way to go in this country to eradicate this crap. (BTW - After some others mentioning to the stewards what the guys were saying - they had a word with them and they stopped. Personally - I'd have ejected them and banned them for life to ALL England games.)

Crouch is technically good, but practically rubbish, and misses chance after chance all to frequently. Though I know Crouch has a phenomenal strike rate for the national team it still could be tricky selection.
After all the criticism, Crouch still wins lots of long ball in air. He is physically strong enough and he can provide Rooney some free run. Other striker has to play for Rooney, for sure. He is in amazing form lately and you can not put someone forward who is awkward for him. Heskey can not provide the sharpness in front of goal that Crouch can. Heskey can not worry defenders with a six foot seven inch frame. It just, Crouch would distract defenders when England go forward which would open up the game for Rooney.
I still would favor Rooney with Crouch, just because Crouch's excellent work rate and ability to bring Rooney or Gerrard into threatening positions.

I'm pretty sure Crouch had two shots and scored them both, completely disproving your point about missing chance after chance. I'm torn as to who I'd want starting between Defoe or Crouch at the World Cup. I think it'll be Defoe because Capello loves the option to bring Crouch and Cole on. Trouble is we have two explosive players from the bench and only one consistent starter, Rooney.

I'm pretty sure Crouch had two shots and scored them both, completely disproving your point about missing chance after chance. I'm torn as to who I'd want starting between Defoe or Crouch at the World Cup. I think it'll be Defoe because Capello loves the option to bring Crouch and Cole on. Trouble is we have two explosive players from the bench and only one consistent starter, Rooney.

Sorry but Defoe's had enough chances for England (starting). He's too lightweight against good teams. AND, most importantly, he doesn't work well with Rooney. Crouch and Heskey do. I think Agbonlahor would be a better option than defoe.

Nah Beckham cant start on the right. A key component in England's 4-4-2 formation that Capello uncovered during the World Cup Qualifiers, was having a pacy right-winger starting, who can run at & away from defenders (Walcott/Lennon) & Beckham coming on as a impact sub for one of those cats in the 15-30 mins. That is the reason why Capello vs Egypt started Walcott instead of Milner (although Walcott is not in great form) & picked SWP in the squad although he is not a first team player @ City right now.

From the right-wing is basically the only position where England attack the opposition with real pace:

--------------------------------Heskey------------------------------------

----------------------------Rooney---------------------------------------

Gerrard-------------------Barry----------Lampard-----------Lennon/Walcott

If Beckham or Milner where to start that undermines a important tactical attacking option for us that Capello has developed. But of course right now Walcott & Lennon are not 100% for obvious reasons.

Walcott is unfortuantely under alot of pressure to get back to his form that got him that hat-trick in Croatia, given its a world cup year. But we need to patient with him since he has been injured & its taking him a while to get back to that level. A big few months for him coming up, but i expect Capello to pick him still & hopefully Capello showing confidence in young Theo will get him back into form come the world cup.

With Lennon well obviously we dont know how he will go when he returns from injury, but he remains a must pick for reasons already stated.

If one of Walcott or Lennon form woes get worrying. I think & hope Capello picks Ashley Young instead of SWP next time though.

War added 19 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

Being at the game, you appreciate space that you can't see on T.V and also the movement of the players. Rooney does the simple stuff so well. Thats why he's so good. Barry, Lampard and Gerrard all tried over elaborate stuff and ignored obvious passes until it was too late. It doesn't work - Lampard, Barry and Gerrard out wide. Gerrard drifts inside too much meaning we are stupidly narrow. Lampard looked slow and completely out of form. And Barry hasn't been good all season. It's time we played the best player in each position, even if that means we leave out a "big gun" like Gerrard, Lampard or Barry. - How good was Carrick when he came on?! The reason? He's used to sitting and playing short, quick passes at United. He dictated the tempo of the 2nd half where the other three failed in the first.

Disagree slightly my friend. Lets not forget that mid-field combination from left-right of Gerrard-Lamps-Barry was doing superbly in world cup qualifiers, so i'd say we can just say they (especially Lamps) had bad first half.

Since Euro 2004 the argument has always been "How to accomodate Gerrard & Lamps in the same team". Surely finding a way to do so makes England stronger that leaving one out?. Again Capello found a way to accomodate them & its being going well, so no need to change a winning formula.

Sorry but Defoe's had enough chances for England (starting). He's too lightweight against good teams. AND, most importantly, he doesn't work well with Rooney. Crouch and Heskey do. I think Agbonlahor would be a better option than defoe.

Yea good point of Defoe being a bit too lightweight againts good teams. He just doesn't look like his Tottenham self in a England shirt, you know what they say - "domestic form doesn't always equal international success". Thats why i always remain sceptical about him & why i believe Owen has to be picked.

Agbonlahor is worth a shout oover Defoe, i probably would pick him ahead of Defoe to be dead honest. But i reckon Capello will pick Defoe based on his goal-scoring form for Spurs.

Last edited:
War - I agree with you about Capello making Barry, Lampard and Gerrard work in the qualifiers, however, this team is picked on form and none of them have been good for their teams of late. Carrick made such a difference in the 2nd half - he has to wonder what he has to do to get a chance. I think he's only started once and that was with a weakened team, which is unfair.

Hargo is back for the reserves this week:) And talking of England - If by some miracle he went to the world cup, He's got to be in the centre of midfield with Gerrard. Hargo holding (When fit, he's the best there is IMO), Gerrard pushing. Be like a Scholes and Keane combo for England.

Did anyone see the Spain vs France friendly?. Wow i just cant stop being amazed by the Spanish team, on paper right now they have the best XI i have seen in a international team in my time of watching football since France in WC 98 & EURO 2000 & Brazil WC 06.

Its so bloody good that Fabregas & Alonso aren't even guaranteed a starting birth haha.

War added 11 Minutes and 58 Seconds later...

War - I agree with you about Capello making Barry, Lampard and Gerrard work in the qualifiers, however, this team is picked on form and none of them have been good for their teams of late. Carrick made such a difference in the 2nd half - he has to wonder what he has to do to get a chance. I think he's only started once and that was with a weakened team, which is unfair.

Has Lamps being playing poor for Chelsea though?. I dont recall that, last i checked he was scoring a goal every other week. I just think he had a bad first half vs Egypt to be honest.

Not sure about Barry's season, when City beat Chelsea last week, Barry had a good game i'd say. I would say he improved in the 2nd half vs Egypt though, got forward alot more & as you know played a key part in Crouch's first goal.

Carrick is a interesting case. He is our Pirlo/Xavi after all:laugh. I think if he is going to start, we need to play a strong defensive mid-fielder like Hargreaves next to him. If not as we saw when United lost the champions league final to Barcelona last year, he could go missing againts a quality opposition mid-field i fear.

Hargo is back for the reserves this week:) And talking of England - If by some miracle he went to the world cup, He's got to be in the centre of midfield with Gerrard. Hargo holding (When fit, he's the best there is IMO), Gerrard pushing. Be like a Scholes and Keane combo for England.

Yea Hargreaves/Gerrard together in the centre doing a Scholes/Keane with probably a fit/inform Lennon/Walcott on the right - with J Cole on the left would be really good.

But as you said, if Hargreaves does come back strong for United, it will be interesting to see what if Capello changes to such a formation.

Agbonlahor should definitely be given a go. I would also like to see Cole start a match in these next two friendlies. Might be tempted to get Ashley Young on the left as well. He's a much better player than Downing is.

Last edited:
Agbonlahor shouldn't definitely be given a go. I would also like to see Cole start a match in these next two friendlies. Might be tempted to get Ashley Young on the left as well. He's a much better player than Downing is.

Your right about Young. Been in terrific form, not sure why he wasn't in the squad against Egypt, whereas Walcott, whos been crap this season was.

And yeah, Lampards been scoring but, his overall form hasn't been anywhere near what hes capable of in my humble opion.

Last edited:

Hargreaves can do more than just hold as well - in the last World Cup, he was played out wide and terrorised the Portuguese! The only thing is whether this long injury has deprived him of that bit of 'zip'.

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 12 Seconds later...

Agbonlahor should definitely be given a go. I would also like to see Cole start a match in these next two friendlies. Might be tempted to get Ashley Young on the left as well. He's a much better player than Downing is.

I want to see Agbonlahor at the World Cup - Vidic didn't know what to do with him and Vidic's a great defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread