English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the point about Vidic, I really don't see why people, especially Manchester United fans, think he is amazing. He crumbles in big matches and is an awful tackler. He can't handle Torres, he can't handle Agbonlahor (he probably couldn't handle me just because I have a little bit of pace), he gets sent off and gives away penalties. Yes he's solid in the air and he has other physical and mental qualities but I don't rate him up there with the top defenders in football.

So, the list of strikers we have for the WC looks like this: Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Agbonlahor and Cole. Certainly not up there with the best in the world which does worry me a little. I wish we had a lot more options but apart from Bent I can't think of anyone even worthy of getting a call-up (Excluding Owen).

On the point about Vidic, I really don't see why people, especially Manchester United fans, think he is amazing. He crumbles in big matches and is an awful tackler. He can't handle Torres, he can't handle Agbonlahor (he probably couldn't handle me just because I have a little bit of pace), he gets sent off and gives away penalties. Yes he's solid in the air and he has other physical and mental qualities but I don't rate him up there with the top defenders in football.
Probably the reason he couldn't deal with Torres or Agbonlahor is his relative lack of pace, whereas he tends to enjoy the physical battles against strikers such as Drogba and does well against them.

He was instrumental in our defensive record of going 13 hundred odd minutes without letting a goal in in the Prem. Only a blind man would not regard him as one of the best centre backs around at the moment.

His form hasn't been as consistent as usual in the past few months due to injuries and not having a consistent partner next to him but he should be back to his best when Rio gets a consistent run in the side alongside him.

My eyes work perfectly well thank you. Not much use against pace? That basically means he's going to be done over by one striker every other game.

So, the list of strikers we have for the WC looks like this: Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Agbonlahor and Cole. Certainly not up there with the best in the world which does worry me a little. I wish we had a lot more options but apart from Bent I can't think of anyone even worthy of getting a call-up (Excluding Owen).

Vidic hasn't been the same since the 4-1 at Old Trafford against Pool. Before that, he had Torres in his pocket in everygame. I think he lacks a bit of confidence now, which is why he makes mistakes. He hesitates. Like Johnny Evans.

My eyes work perfectly well thank you. Not much use against pace? That basically means he's going to be done over by one striker every other game.
So who do you consider to be better than him? He's easily up there with the best although tbh there is a shortage of top quality centre backs these days than in the past.

Errmm...no. I said relatively, in which context I meant he's got decent pace for someone his size but he can be exploited by players who rely on their excellent acceleration, such as Torres, Agbonlahor, Eto'o etc.

And obviously his weaknesses are being accentuated with him seeming to be a bit lower in confidence since the Torres goal last March. Up until then, he was faultless that season.

Only a blind man would not regard him as one of the best centre backs around at the moment.

That's a bit harsh. It's opinion. I have never rated John Terry and yet he wins world defender of the year and things. Obviously some people rate him. I think the quality of centre back in the Prem is quite low at the moment.

Vidic hasn't been the same since the 4-1 at Old Trafford against Pool. Before that, he had Torres in his pocket in everygame. I think he lacks a bit of confidence now, which is why he makes mistakes. He hesitates. Like Johnny Evans.

I think there is alot of truth to this. Good observation.

But even so Vidic is still one of the best defenders in the world, but as poster Awais said currently their is a lack of truly top quality defenders in the world these days. No defender right now is of a Franco Baresi, Blanc, Maldini quality.

john terry has been on the decline for the last three years he used to get us up to 6-7 league goals before this and some very important goals aswell, scoring else where is obviously more important to him nowadays,
Cant think of one exceptional central defender in the world right now.
Titus Bramble anyone....:laugh

You do realise defenders are there to defend and not score? If you go by that logic Roberto Carlos is the greatest defender to ever grace this earth, which is not true, despite being a great defender.

I agree, there is a real lack of quality defenders at the moment. I think it is the reason why there are so many goals in the Premiership this season. It isn't because the strikers are any better.

You do realise defenders are there to defend and not score? If you go by that logic Roberto Carlos is the greatest defender to ever grace this earth, which is not true, despite being a great defender.

I agree, there is a real lack of quality defenders at the moment. I think it is the reason why there are so many goals in the Premiership this season. It isn't because the strikers are any better.

I agree, I think if anything, strikers and defenders have got worse. Infact, the quality of footballers seems to have got worse in every deparment in the PREM this season.

O really smart ass i didnt realise that thanks for pointing that out.
my point is that he used to get us important goals more than most central defenders did, he does not get into the positions to score like he did an not power into them like it meant everything obviously the injurys have been significant to his decline as have his off field "interests".
Not only terry but could it be said now that gerrard and lampard, joe cole could be on the decline also, or is just a case of one poor season for them, i personally think they are on the downward spiral.
Our world cup hopes are not looking good, thank god for rooney.

O really smart ass i didnt realise that thanks for pointing that out.
my point is that he used to get us important goals more than most central defenders did, he does not get into the positions to score like he did an not power into them like it meant everything obviously the injurys have been significant to his decline as have his off field "interests".
Not only terry but could it be said now that gerrard and lampard, joe cole could be on the decline also, or is just a case of one poor season for them, i personally think they are on the downward spiral.
Our world cup hopes are not looking good, thank god for rooney.

LOL - Rooney can't carry England on his own so I hope for his and our sake that the decline theory is not the case.

Great game for Walcott today, after Wenger gave him due backing during the week. Hopefully his knee-jerk critics ease off him a bit now.

I'm liking the rumours that J Cole could be at United next season.

I'm liking the rumours that J Cole could be at United next season.

I hope that Abram doesn't change his mind about only offering Cole a year and ?30,000 a week. I also hope that Cole doesn't just want money and goes to City.

A combo of Cole, Carrick, Scholes, Anderson, Fletcher, Hargreaves, Park, Nani, Giggs and Valencia sounds pretty damn good.

Love to see him at United.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread