English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poulsen to sign for Liverpool within two days.
He has skipped Denmark's friendly against the germans to finalise the deal :)

For me, I'm glad to see MON leave Aston Villa. The man is a good enough manager for any club, and he has been successful wherever he has been. It's a shame he didn't realise what he was up against 2 months ago or he might have been given the England job by now.

I'd like to see Villa go outside the box with their new manager. Bradley would certainly be interesting. If they're going with English managers, Simon Grayson may have an outside chance.

I'd like to see Villa go outside the box with their new manager. Bradley would certainly be interesting. If they're going with English managers, Simon Grayson may have an outside chance.

I wanted to see Capello go outside the box with the England lineup, but no - we still have Lampard and Gerrard in the same team, Barry is still in, as are several others from the disastrous World Cup 'campaign'. However - finally, finally, we have Gerrard just off Rooney. Walcott is back in, and Adam Johnson is on the other wing, with Hart in goal. The majority of the new 'kids' are on the bench - I wanted to see them thrown in! It's only a bloody friendly, after all - and I for one will be very pissed if Rooney picks up an injury from this!

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

Would you morons stop calling him "Chica"? - RedCafe.net

Just had a good lol when reading this thread over at the Red Cafe.

Agreed - I don't ever call him 'Chica'. Reminds me of that prat from X Factor a while back - 'it's Chico Time'.

He's got it on his shirt though, hasn't he? Still, most players from that part of the world don't use their real names, do they?

MasterBlaster76 added 9 Minutes and 17 Seconds later...

Wow - I am truly amazed! I was expecting a barrage of boos for the England team, but they are getting the opposite! This goes to show how loyal England fans truly are - I have no doubt the Italy team for example will be ripped to pieces at their next match.

I wanted to see Capello go outside the box with the England lineup, but no - we still have Lampard and Gerrard in the same team, Barry is still in, as are several others from the disastrous World Cup 'campaign'. However - finally, finally, we have Gerrard just off Rooney. Walcott is back in, and Adam Johnson is on the other wing, with Hart in goal. The majority of the new 'kids' are on the bench - I wanted to see them thrown in! It's only a bloody friendly, after all - and I for one will be very pissed if Rooney picks up an injury from this!

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

Agreed - I don't ever call him 'Chica'. Reminds me of that prat from X Factor a while back - 'it's Chico Time'.

He's got it on his shirt though, hasn't he? Still, most players from that part of the world don't use their real names, do they?

Capello always said he was gonna give his World Cup players the starting chance tonight apparently.

And Hernandez actually as Chicharito on his shirt.

STEVENNNNNN GERRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD. What a goal.

And another. WHADDAPLAYER

Last edited:
Errr...calm down, it was against Hungary FFS.

He's got nothing on Chicharito, who scored against Spain tonight. :D

Gerrard's goals only painted over the cracks in my opinion.

England are clearly lacking in genuinely quality all over the pitch. They don't have a single genuinely quality wide player - the closest they come to that is Joe Cole and he wasn't in the squad!

Gerrard wasn't playing off the striker. I'd say he was playing a deeper box-to-box role, with both Barry and Lampard playing genuine central midfield roles. Lampard didn't even turn up to be honest. Barry can't be relied on to be a "holding midfielder" because he's not one! Once again England looked incredibly susceptible at the back and on the counter. There is too much space between the defence and midfield that a good team will exploit.

Johnson and Cole shouldn't both be playing. They either need to gain an incredible understanding and Johnson needs to become more disciplined going forward or else one, Johnson, should be dropped. I'd much rather have someone like Jagielka at right back in a supporting role. Both full backs don't need to attack at once, the ball will only be on one side. If the ball goes to the other side, then he can come forward and support, otherwise he can stay back and form a three man defence.

Walcott can offer so much if he learns to read the game better. His direct, darting runs are very helpful to the side but he needs to make better decisions. Hopefully Wenger can transform him and help him fulfill his potential. But still, Walcott shouldn't be a starter. He's an impact player who should come on towards the end. The fact he starts says a lot about the quality of English players.

Adam Johnson isn't good enough to be playing for England yet. Cole should be on the left playing as an inside forward. He has genuine ability and great creativity, and even though it's not his primary position it's the best England have. With him cutting inside, Cole overlaps offering width and another potent attacking threat.

I think Rodwell should've been in the squad and played. With Hargreaves all but gone, Rodwell is the closest England have to a (potentially) quality holding/ball winning midfielder. England at the moment don't have good enough players all over the pitch to actually be a challenging threat at the major tournaments.

Hargreaves right back?

Personally I think this would've been the best possible XI:

---------------------------------James------------------------------------

Brown---------------------Ferdinand----------Terry------------------A Cole

---------------------------Scholes------Hargreaves------------------------

Walcott---------------------------Gerrard--------------------J Cole--------

---------------------------------Rooney----------------------------------

Brown being a supporting right back on the side that has width with Walcott, and effectively make a back three when in attack to stop counters. And Cole overlapping as Cole drifts inside. Gerrard would be in a free role. Scholes would sit deep and play his immense sideways balls and Hargreaves would be the more natural destroyer.

Brown would have been worse off than Johnson - dont forget Brown did lose his England place to Johnson during the WCQs.

Johnson's problem always if he even came up againts a quality left-winger in Podolski he would be embarassed since he cant defend period. What kept him in the team was his impressive burst going forward & the fact that he ahd no competition.

Brown is equally bad defensively @ international level, while he offered nothing going forward. Hargreaves if he had come back fit, given the versatily he had would have been the best man to play @ RB during the WC.

War added 15 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

Gerrard's goals only painted over the cracks in my opinion.

England are clearly lacking in genuinely quality all over the pitch. They don't have a single genuinely quality wide player - the closest they come to that is Joe Cole and he wasn't in the squad!

Gerrard wasn't playing off the striker. I'd say he was playing a deeper box-to-box role, with both Barry and Lampard playing genuine central midfield roles. Lampard didn't even turn up to be honest. Barry can't be relied on to be a "holding midfielder" because he's not one! Once again England looked incredibly susceptible at the back and on the counter. There is too much space between the defence and midfield that a good team will exploit.

Johnson and Cole shouldn't both be playing. They either need to gain an incredible understanding and Johnson needs to become more disciplined going forward or else one, Johnson, should be dropped. I'd much rather have someone like Jagielka at right back in a supporting role. Both full backs don't need to attack at once, the ball will only be on one side. If the ball goes to the other side, then he can come forward and support, otherwise he can stay back and form a three man defence.

Walcott can offer so much if he learns to read the game better. His direct, darting runs are very helpful to the side but he needs to make better decisions. Hopefully Wenger can transform him and help him fulfill his potential. But still, Walcott shouldn't be a starter. He's an impact player who should come on towards the end. The fact he starts says a lot about the quality of English players.

Adam Johnson isn't good enough to be playing for England yet. Cole should be on the left playing as an inside forward. He has genuine ability and great creativity, and even though it's not his primary position it's the best England have. With him cutting inside, Cole overlaps offering width and another potent attacking threat.

I think Rodwell should've been in the squad and played. With Hargreaves all but gone, Rodwell is the closest England have to a (potentially) quality holding/ball winning midfielder. England at the moment don't have good enough players all over the pitch to actually be a challenging threat at the major tournaments.

Agreed overall. But just a few points on the bolded.

- Barry may not be the greatest., but id say wehn playing well he is a decent defensive-midfielder. England can definately rely on him.

- Agreed 100% that Johnson should be dropepd. He is awful defensively. I have never seen Jaigelka play RB - but fi he ahs the versatility id say give him a try (since i;m not conviced about him as a international centre-half). ANother player who could play RB is Steven Taylor when he is fit again.

Big seasons for Micah Richards & Tottenham Kyle Walker, with the RB position very much up for grabs.

- Agreed J Cole should be starting. But i guess Capello probably wants to see what his best position could be @ Liverpool before recalling him.

- Walcott is good enough to be a starter once 100% fit. Let not forget it was an injury plagued last season that stunted his progress, if he plays every week - he is our best man to play right-wing. A Johnson is probably still impact sub quality - but he looked like his Man City self.

- Rodwell may very well be in the opening EURO 2012 fixtures.

Brown would have been worse off than Johnson - dont forget Brown did lose his England place to Johnson during the WCQs.

Johnson's problem always if he even came up againts a quality left-winger in Podolski he would be embarassed since he cant defend period. What kept him in the team was his impressive burst going forward & the fact that he ahd no competition.

Brown is equally bad defensively @ international level, while he offered nothing going forward. Hargreaves if he had come back fit, given the versatily he had would have been the best man to play @ RB during the WC.
Brown is defensively excellent. If it wasn't for injuries he'd be a definite starter in the United and England side. Let's not forget two seasons ago when he was one of the best defenders in the league. How many top teams at the World Cup used one attacking, and one supporting fullback? Spain did with Ramos and Capdevilla. Brazil did with Maicon and Bastos. Germany did with Lahm and Boaeteng (sp?). The point is, two attacking fullbacks aren't necessary. When you have one attacking fullback offering width (basically becoming a winger in attack), whilst the left sided attacker cuts inside (where Joe Cole should be), you have one more attacking player. Then The right back does not need to go forward too. He can create a three man defence and be wary on the counter, whilst still if the ball switches flanks he can come forward and play the ball.

Agreed overall. But just a few points on the bolded.

- Barry may not be the greatest., but id say wehn playing well he is a decent defensive-midfielder. England can definately rely on him.

- Agreed 100% that Johnson should be dropepd. He is awful defensively. I have never seen Jaigelka play RB - but fi he ahs the versatility id say give him a try (since i;m not conviced about him as a international centre-half). ANother player who could play RB is Steven Taylor when he is fit again.

Big seasons for Micah Richards & Tottenham Kyle Walker, with the RB position very much up for grabs.

- Agreed J Cole should be starting. But i guess Capello probably wants to see what his best position could be @ Liverpool before recalling him.

- Walcott is good enough to be a starter once 100% fit. Let not forget it was an injury plagued last season that stunted his progress, if he plays every week - he is our best man to play right-wing. A Johnson is probably still impact sub quality - but he looked like his Man City self.

- Rodwell may very well be in the opening EURO 2012 fixtures.

Against lower teams England can get away with it. But look at Hungary's goal. There was too much space between defence and midfield. This is because Barry was playing as a classic central midfielder than a holder. There was a huge gap in the World Cup too which Germany so easily exploited. On the counter they look so susceptible with everyone except Terry and the other centreback staying back, and Terry is hardly bundled with pace.

I'm surprised that Richards wasn't selected tbh. He's defensively sound, very physical and plays the supporting right back role quite well.

Walcott may be injury plagued but how much is that going to affect his reading of the game? He should still know where to go and what to do even if he's injured. If he learns to understand the game better then he can become a very effective player. Look how much Nani improved just by becoming a bit more inteligent on the field. But there's still plenty of time for Walcott to improve.

There is a huge technical and metal difference between Adam Johnson and Joe Cole. Cole is technically excellent, and in terms of creating chances he's much better than Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread