English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, agree with that. It was essential we won the derby, otherwise the rot might have started to set in after the long unbeaten run. Now, we have to win a few away games, including a couple of real toughies at Stamford Bridge and a revitalised Anfield - drop too many points over the next four and it could change the course of the title. Get through this period without too much damage and get a result at the Emirates (a draw would do) and we look in good shape.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if you end your Stamford Bridge hoodoo on 1st March after seeing our performances in recent matches. Even Copenhagen now look like a world beater. :facepalm

A thriller? Please tell me you're talking about the free kick.

And really, Ivanovic committed such a cheap foul at such a crucial time. We paid the price for it and certainly after not taking those chances created in the 90 minutes.

Yes, I was talking about the free kick. I was jumping out of my seat when it was scored! :D
Before that I was quite a dejected fan.

Funny how the one who looks most likely to leave, Gibson, played the best.

I'll reserve judgement on Bebe and Obertan atm.

Funny how the one who looks most likely to leave, Gibson, played the best.

I'll reserve judgement on Bebe and Obertan atm.

I like the look of Gibson - we should definitely try and keep him. Regarding Obertan and Bebe, to be fair, I have seen both play a few times - and this was Obertan's worst game by miles. Usually, he comes on and goes on a few little runs - generally getting at the opposition defence. Bebe however, I haven't seen anything from him - not once - to prove that he isn't one of Sir Alex's rare flop transfers. When Nani came in, there was definitely something about him - you could tell immediately. Not so with Bebe for me - maybe he should be given one more season, but he really needs to improve a hell of a lot if he's going to push Nani and Park (and Giggs, however long he goes for) in the first team. Same goes for Obertan really.

Last edited:
That truly shows what a joke most of football think Manchester City are - even a no-mark like Aris Thessaloniki!

----------

Agreed - and the midfield isn't looking too bad either. The defence, however, is a concern - especially in wide areas.

I think the wide areas are pretty safe also TBF. In Gibbs most are confident ATS, that he is the ready made long term replacement for Ash Cole.

While Martin Kelly has being going @ right back this season for Liverpool & Kyle Walker from Villa is getting some good reports.

----------

Chelsea set for summer clearout with Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka, John Obi Mikel, Yuri Zhirkov, Florent Malouda, Paulo Ferreira and Yossi Benayoun headed for the scrapheap - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Hmm..

----------

Tottenham to target Everton boss David Moyes if Harry Redknapp gets collared for tax evasion - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Certainly hope Harry is fine when all of this ends.

BBC Sport - Football - Sir Alex Ferguson angry over Euro final ticket prices

quote said:
Meanwhile, United boss Ferguson has suggested the idea of a winter break to help breathe new life into the FA Cup.
United defeated non-league Crawley Town 1-0 at Old Trafford in the competition on Saturday - and Ferguson said in his programme notes for the match: "What is worth looking at is the German model of a month's break in January and then launching the second half of the season with their cup competition.
"I know this would mean spilling over into the summer season but I see nothing wrong with that and playing league fixtures beyond the end of May.
"We are playing internationals in June and we could accommodate a league extension."
The Bundesliga season resumed on 15 January after a winter break that started in mid-December.

I wonder if the FA & Premier league clubs will EVER sit down & get this winter break up & runnings, since everyone knows this is right thing to do.

Although i dont agree with SAFs suggestion that the league could go past May. We just need the winter break & to get rid of the Carling Cup which is useless competition. La Liga & Serie A dont have a competition like the Carling Cup.

FA CUP QUARTER-FINAL DRAW

Stoke City v West Ham/Burnley
Man City/Aston Villa v Everton/Reading
Birmingham City v Bolton
Man Utd v Leyton Orient/Arsenal

Ties to be played 12/13 March.

A possible clash between Man United and Arsenal there. And City winning 5-0 against Notts County was really flattering for them but Premier League class told in the end.

Last edited:
Another replay and fixture for Arsenal. They are sure making hard work to progress in the FA Cup so far.

Meh, vdV's a bit of a crock and prefers being the big fish in a small pond.

He did mention a "mystery player" that he tried to sign in January and would continue pursuing in the summer.

Someone creative who's comfortable in playing in a central midfield duo or trio would be nice. Modric (although Spurs concede plenty of goals with him in the centre), Hamsik, Eriksen (who had a stormer aganst England) or we could look more domestically, with the likes of Dorrans and McCarthy. Maybe even Cleverley coming back from loan could fill that vacancy.

Or a new keeper. A couple of seasons ago I would have said Villarreal's Diego Lopez but he's coming close to 30 years old now and there isn't really a true young standout candidate atm.

Meh, vdV's a bit of a crock and prefers being the big fish in a small pond.

Or a new keeper. A couple of seasons ago I would have said Villarreal's Diego Lopez but he's coming close to 30 years old now and there isn't really a true young standout candidate atm.

Man United at the moment aren't exactly a big pond anyway. :p

I think they would try to get another keeper. Kuszczak looks likely to be leaving especially when Lindergaard started ahead of him again at the weekend.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think Lindegaard's been brought in as a more long-term second choice keeper. P.I.G hasn't done badly for us whenever he's been called upon, he was excellent when he replaced the inept Foster near the start of last season but I think we'll let him go somewhere else for regular first-team football, either this summer or next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread