English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno why all the critics go chasing behind Berba, he played a very well against Spurs and was also good against Citeh, it was for only Given or else he could have taken away the headlines with two headers.

We really need Van Der Sar back, because this Foster looks really low of confidence, whenever a back pass is given to him he looks nervous, and atleast commits one mistake per game. I cant see him becoming England number one for the World Cup with this kind of performances.

We really need Van Der Sar back, because this Foster looks really low of confidence, whenever a back pass is given to him he looks nervous, and atleast commits one mistake per game. I cant see him becoming England number one for the World Cup with this kind of performances.

Is it just me or does Rio seem to cause all sorts of havoc with whoever's in goal? I'm a Hammers fan, so I only get to see the Man U matches against us or on tv, but he seems to have communication problems with whoever the keeper is. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fantastic player, arguably the best in the Prem, but he has his moments... especially with Van Der Sar.

Is this just me, or has anyone else noticed this?

2 seconds off and, if the referee really is playing to the letter of the law, he should have blown at 5:25. Carlton Cole was stopped from scoring last weekend after the ref blew despite him about to be one on one with the keeper.
How many times realistically do you see that happen though? The ball's on his way to Owen, with the exception of the Cole incident, I've never seen that happen, there'd be uproar. It would have been blown if City had cleared that (their fault for poor defending).

The points about more stoppage time when we're behind, well, the opposing team generally timewastes against United when they're winning, as you'd expect, so that explains that.

About Rio, he's a class defender, technically the best in England imo, however for the second half of last season and the first few games of this one, he hasn't been at his best. I think it's probably to do with injuries and so not getting a sustained run in the side, he's been in and out since January really.

Someone away or Liverpool/City home in the next round, please. 36 quid for that tonight.

That Joshua King looks like a good player, he showed some skill tonight. :)

yeh for sure:)

MistroBoomer97 added 2 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

How many times realistically do you see that happen though? The ball's on his way to Owen, with the exception of the Cole incident, I've never seen that happen, there'd be uproar. It would have been blown if City had cleared that (their fault for poor defending).

The points about more stoppage time when we're behind, well, the opposing team generally timewastes against United when they're winning, as you'd expect, so that explains that.

About Rio, he's a class defender, technically the best in England imo, however for the second half of last season and the first few games of this one, he hasn't been at his best. I think it's probably to do with injuries and so not getting a sustained run in the side, he's been in and out since January really.

Someone away or Liverpool/City home in the next round, please. 36 quid for that tonight.

what more can they expect a long celebration from their goal and two subs and the extra time add it up and forget about it LOL

Well despite the time lost to the Man City celebration and Carrick substitution, it still does not justify the play being extended. Teams have scored late and have celebrated for long before, but very rarely do you stretch the games for that long beyond the initially determined added time. 5.25 would have been the MAXIMUM you could add but they never really take into account each and every minute that is lost.

Anyways although the result was a good one for United, I think City proved once again (with the Arsenal win being the first) why they are one of the better sides now in England. This was their first points dropped, wasn't it?

And Ben Foster is turning out to be yet another of those highly rated English keepers not able to make the final step up. But one player who has definitely improved a great deal in recent years in Darren Fletcher. I used to consider him as a weak link not so long ago.

Well despite the time lost to the Man City celebration and Carrick substitution, it still does not justify the play being extended. Teams have scored late and have celebrated for long before, but very rarely do you stretch the games for that long beyond the initially determined added time. 5.25 would have been the MAXIMUM you could add but they never really take into account each and every minute that is lost.

Anyways although the result was a good one for United, I think City proved once again (with the Arsenal win being the first) why they are one of the better sides now in England. This was their first points dropped, wasn't it?

And Ben Foster is turning out to be yet another of those highly rated English keepers not able to make the final step up. But one player who has definitely improved a great deal in recent years in Darren Fletcher. I used to consider him as a weak link not so long ago.

The same might be true of Foster in a few years. I don't think he's ready just yet.

He's 26 now though, I do have doubts over him.

As for the injury time, m_vaughan, he played to the letter of the law (within reason), no problems.

Last edited:
He's 26 now though, I do have doubts over him.

Woah - I didn't realise he was that old. Maybe he's just not going to cut it in that case.

What do you think of Josh King? And I'm a bit confused: we got him from Norway, right? So, what's with the name 'Josh King'? Is he elligible for England or Norway, or both?

Got him from Norway at 15 or so I think, Valerenga apparently. Done well for the reserves and looks probably our best prospect around at the moment. Name's probably through his family or something (not sure, they might have been English), he'll probably be able to qualify for England if he wanted to.

Touche ;)

Not always anyway Joseph, most Scousers don't know who their families are. :D

Great performance by Newcastle there. No reason why we can't win the Championship and have a good solid performance next season in the Premiership, if the players play with this spirit. Just a tad worried at how our squad lacks a bit of depth but hopefully this will give a chance for the youngesters to gain valuable experience. I also wouldn't mind keeping Houghton on as manager, he has done a superb job so far :) The BBC cameramen obviously like the blonde Newcastle fans tonight ;)

I'll also add that I did shed a tear at half time for the Bobby Robson tribute. A true gentleman and ambassador for the game, he is a man who will be sorely missed by all football fans throughout the world and it was nice to see such a fitting tribute. Long may he live in the hearts and minds of football fans globally :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread