Your Cricket General Bowling Thread

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Erm...I can get it to turn towards the slips, for an allrounder whos mainly a batter im confident enough, and my old coach (From under 16's) always says that i'd be able to sit comfortably as a frontliner without a main spinner, but in the mens age as im playing up, in essence, a year up, so yeah for my age and being a AR batsmen, i'd say im ok with the spin of the ball, i dont turn it square if thats what your asking, except the once where 5th slip/gully man caught one which turned like it'd hit a brick wall off a huge crack.

Doesn't sound too bad at all, do you use flight variation much at all?

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Doesn't sound too bad at all, do you use flight variation much at all?

My main asset is my flight, i got told once that as long as it hits the pitch in line with the wickets, whatever comes next be it spin, or it carries on you'll not go too much wrong...

So over the last few years ive just tried that, and just getting things like the one which carries on (And ive developed it so it kind of speeds up and skids) and also the one which is well labeled as the moon ball, which i float up which in all honesty, does nothing but gets a dot ball as im not accurate enough with it to hit the wickets :p

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
The moon ball can be deadly, the team I play for occasionally have a real weakness against it - you can see their eyes light up about 3 miles away!

Have you ever tried bowling the surprise ball from 34 or 35 yards (essentially behind the stumps) can be a good one to use to get the batting team thinking.

Maybe I should change the thread title to bowling in general as we're moving slightly off topic.

Animator!

School Cricketer
The stop delivery. When you get into your delivery stride, just pause in it for a second or two then release the ball.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
The stop delivery. When you get into your delivery stride, just pause in it for a second or two then release the ball.

A la Chris Gayle when KP started his reverse sweep :p

Yeah the moonball can be deadly, but no im not overly accurate as i think too much about actually pitching it on the square :p and not giving the batsmen a full toss hook for 12! The suprise ball, hmm sounds interesting, just bowl from where im standing, i might have a go in training.

The stop ball doesnt work really with my run up because ill trip over when im side on :p

And a good thread title would be, Bowling in General, i'd sticky it along with your thread A_A as this is a good thread which would help bowlers, Q&A kind of thing, i know anything about spin bowling ill try to answer, maybe a batting one should come to accompany it.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
That can be a hell of a delivery!

If you watch closely not really, the stop only allows you more time to focus, if you watching and playing the ball well.

I know at times when im thinking too much or distracted a stop-start ball can get you playing and missing, but it puts the bowler off more than the batsmen usually!

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
That's why I'd go with the 34 yard ball, it can surprise the batsman as well as making him get through his shot too quickly.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
A_A, the 34yrd ball, im confused, i bugger my run up, and bowl from my bowling mark as i understand it, am i correct?

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
You try to keep everything the same except you bowl the ball from in line with the umpire or the stumps. Should only be used occasionally (once a game or even less).

It just takes the pace off the ball (takes longer to get to the batsman) and can put a bit of doubt into their mind.

Last edited:

Chimp132

International Cricketer
so you bowl in your run up or just before you get to the umpire ? confussed lol

i bowl leg spin and it wernt spinnin much at all and was gettin hit quite alot, thought id bowl off spin in the nets and it came out as a doosra that turnt loads to the left, so i bowl right arm doosras in matches now :D

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
This is where you (represented by red dot) would roughly be at the point of release for a normal delivery:

Normal-Delivery.gif

For a 33 yard ball you would be roughly here:

33-yard.gif

For a 34 yard or beyond ball, roughly here:

34-yard.gif

Hope that helps (dots are a bit small but should be readable)!

Last edited:

manee

Chairman of Selectors
so you bowl in your run up or just before you get to the umpire ? confussed lol

i bowl leg spin and it wernt spinnin much at all and was gettin hit quite alot, thought id bowl off spin in the nets and it came out as a doosra that turnt loads to the left, so i bowl right arm doosras in matches now :D

You are either bowling subtle leg breaks with a lot of top spin or chucking it, if you can bowl a 'doosra' with no practice. My advice would be for you to work on your leg breaks, leg break bowlers can pick up tons of wickets if they get their accuracy right and can spin the ball. 'Gettin hit quite alot' is caused mainly by bowling too short, look to toss the ball up on a driveable length but putting a lot of sideways revolutions on the ball. Sideways revolutions can create in-drift as well as helping spin the ball. Stick with leg spin and trust me, you won't regret it. The variations are countless (googly, flipper, slider, top spinner, floater, dipper, not to mention plain changes in pace) and with practice, you could have batsman in all sorts.

Here are a few tips/info bytes about leg spin:
  • The more times the ball spins in the air, the more the ball will spin
  • Bowling too full is better than too short
  • Use variations, but once an over maxmum.
  • A googly is bowled out of the back of the hand.
  • A slider is bowled out of the front of the hand.
  • Flippers can only be attempted by those with fully developed shoulders
  • Forward revolutions cause dip and sideways cause spin so a diagonal seam and wrist position is ideal.
  • Lower arm leads to more spin but more spin is not always better. (Macgill or Shane Warne).

I give, so now I wish to recieve.:p What is the grip for a left handed inswinger? Here are a few clips of me bowling, any tips?

Mid on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw_FYkRB7qA
Behind umpire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIoNzKM7_m0
Side on (useless video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI5SkMeEsCs

Last edited:

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
The grip should stay the same as for the right handed bowler - experiment with it and see how it goes.

In the second video you're dragging the ball away from the right handed batsman for two reasons:

1. Wrist position - try to relax your wrist slightly, you appear to have locked it in place.

2. Head position - I'd like to see your head stay upright for a fraction longer. You seem to drop it too early which is messing with your lines.

Also, try to think tall when you're bowling, this will help you to fully use your height and arm reach.

You also appear to almost stop between your take off and delivery stride, which means you're losing any momentum gained from the run up. Try to make it smoother - you want to be going forward more than up so that you can transfer the power.

I would also say that you may benefit from looking at the direction of your feet when you land, the front leg could be better placed.

I'll post more thoughts after I've watched the videos a few times more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread