Gilchrist retires from cricket

Funniest Gilly moment was the 20/20 match against England when he did the Channel 9 commentary on field, hilarious!!

Then theres the Ashes Perth test last year, amazing. I think the only happy person at the moment is Brad Haddin!

Gentleman.
Greatest WK Batsman to date without a doubt. He completely revolutionised the game. How fitting for him to hold the record into his retirement.

Speaking of Gilly commentating wonder if 9 will try and grab him seeing how well he did last time he commentated for them.

Everyone is saying Haddin will be happy, but I'm not sure. It will be a mixed feeling for Haddin, as one of the greatest player of his country will no longer play but he will be playing instead. Sad moment for international cricket. Just saw the news on Cricinfo and was shocked. He probobly did the right thing, when he thought he wanted to retire he did rather that hanging on.

Thank you Gilly for all the happy moments (except against India :p) you have given us to cherish.

This is one of those sad/happy moments, firstly a great, influential and revolutionary player retires, which is a great loss to cricket. On the other hand, it makes it a little easier for South Africa :P

Cya Gilly.

Hello Haddin:)

________

Sorry for being so blunt - but we all knew his time was coming to an end with all those dropped catches, patchy form etc. Great player but, deserves his accolades.

Wait!, I won't be seeing gilly play a match again. So sad. He should have extended his career to 2009. Many high expectations were on him at this stage.

So sad....

Mark Boucher's Gonna Be NO.1 Again.

But, Gilly for life, He's NO.1 In the world.:D.:D.:D.:D.

L. L. Gilly!!!!.:D.:D.:D.:D.

Speaking of Gilly commentating wonder if 9 will try and grab him seeing how well he did last time he commentated for them.

Did he retire because he was offered a contract which coincided with his views to spend more time with his family? Hmmm.

Anyway, great batsman, good wicket keeper and he will sorely be missed by Australia. His departure could be the end of Australian Test dominance as we know it since their long batting line up was a key part. However, with the falling standards of other teams, I feel that Australia may still be dominant.

Sad to see you go, Adam. I really enjoyed watching him bat, the way he strikes the ball is immense. His glovework is amazing, and he's a pretty cool bloke.
Bye, Gilly. :(

It is really a sad news for the cricketing community.

As Hayden very rightly said "He was the best to have ever played the game."

It is a role-model for many.

I will miss him A LOT.

Did he retire because he was offered a contract which coincided with his views to spend more time with his family? Hmmm.

Anyway, great batsman, good wicket keeper and he will sorely be missed by Australia. His departure could be the end of Australian Test dominance as we know it since their long batting line up was a key part. However, with the falling standards of other teams, I feel that Australia may still be dominant.

Australia will still very much dominant but they will miss Gilchrist since as you said, he has been a superb lower order batsmen for them as well as a very wicket keeper to bowlers such as Warne and McGrath.

There is pressure now on Brad Haddin to be able to play as a keeper in the ODI's and start out in tests and Haddin won't be the same cricketer that Gilchrist is being at the moment when it comes to batting especially. Australia are going to have to look for a new opening batsmen at the top of the order for the ODI's as well who can utilize the powerplay overs.

On one hand I am shocked but on the other hand I was kinda expecting. Not sure why he didn't want to play till a hundred tests. Has left some fantastic memories to all cricket fans. I have met him and he seems like a really nice guy. Good luck doing what you are going to do after cricket Adam! :)

Sad to see him end his career. He's really hauling in the records but I guess retiring for his family is something that seems to be pretty common. Hopefully he'll get a chance at a century.

Very sad news, i will miss his laid back attitude to the game.. and of course he brilliant batting and wicket keeping skills... legend

We shall see in the near future, his game was slipping so I believe he wanted to go out on his own terms and go out with a bang rather than leave us to see him fall further.

Users who are viewing this thread