Gilchrist retires from cricket

Gilchrist never cared about records etc only playing to the best of his ability he is the ultimate team man.
He would have loved to keep going but felt his performance was slipping an with calls to get brad haddin in he felt the right thing to do for the team was to call it a day.

Very sad day indeed i loved watching gilly bat an cannot stand haddin the likely replacement.

Ofcourse hes not going to say i feel im holding someone back and my performance hasnt been as good as it should be so im retiring.
because people will say no, reconsider etc
So he will use the family, lost interest etc etc story.

well very disapointing to see him go , what he did to cricket was fantastic , there will never be anyone like Gilly :( :(

Probably the biggest acievement of his career

Cricinfo said:
October 2004 - Captains Australia to their first series win in India for 35 years, guiding them through their first three Tests as they take an unassailable 2-0 lead.

I think so.

My tears came out from my eyes when Gilly got out on 18 and was waving his hands. He will be a legend.

Still could have one last dig if we bat again needing some ODI style chase. Would be the perfect way for him to leave.

A record holder in three aspects :
1) First Player to hit100 6's in test matches
2)Longest playing streak
3) Most dismissals by a keeper

That sort of contribution will be sorely missed. i must admit it definately was the right timing

what a champion

WKs will alwasy be compared to him, and I wouldnt think all that many would measure up.

Australia will not miss his keeping and batting that much because Haddin can hold his own in international cricket. This is where Australia are blessed.

The only thing missing though will be the Gilchrist fear factor on opponents. He will still terrorise bowlers in ODI for 2 months. Thankfully for India he has been silent in test matches against us but in ODIs he kills the bowlers.

Politicians are allowed to be sport fans as well. They just have a greater capacity for media attention to fuel their opinion.

Yes, but why sould their opinion matter to someone retiring? The choice to retire is solely the players not a politicians or anyone elses for that matter. Jayasuria was silly enough to come back, mostly likely because he didn't really want to retire in the first place he just didn't want to be known as a player who outstayed his welcome. However, Sri Lanka came into needing him for a certain period. I'm pretty sure that Gilchrist isn't going to be swayed by anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread