Group A (Australia, India, Pakistan, WI)

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
TBH I wouldn't be surprised if the current West Indian batting line up made 300 against us. That's have much faith I have in our bowling line up. Pessimism FTW.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I am forced to think that after the recent thaw in relations between India and Pakistan, Pakistan might want to badly see the back of India and might actually try to lose to Australia. They would also not be happy with the financial power status of India and all the attention that the IPL and its type are getting. So this will be a game that the anti-corruption officials need to give some serious watching because it could happen.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The current Windies side isn't too bad. Bowlers are a bit inconsistent but they would have learned a bit from our game and if their top order can get runs then they should post a competitive total.

Pak_cricketer

Chairman of Selectors
I am forced to think that after the recent thaw in relations between India and Pakistan, Pakistan might want to badly see the back of India and might actually try to lose to Australia. They would also not be happy with the financial power status of India and all the attention that the IPL and its type are getting. So this will be a game that the anti-corruption officials need to give some serious watching because it could happen.

Why the hell would we lose on purpose?

If we let Australia win, then we come in 2nd, and we get to face England in the semi's. If we come in first, then it'll probably be New Zealand. We would rather face the Kiwi's than the English any day because of our record.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
For those wondering...

For India to pip Australia, they need to ensure that they redress that balance; in other words, they need to make up for that combined difference of 104 runs. If, for example, Australia lose by 50 runs and India win by 54, the net run-rates of both teams will be exactly zero (in which case the tie-breaker will be balls per wicket for each team in completed matches). If the margin of either result is one run more, Australia's NRR will slip below India's.
The logic is similar if Australia bat first and if India chase, though it'll be much tougher for India to overcome the NRR deficit: if Australia and West Indies both score 250 batting first, Pakistan and India will both need to chase the runs in about 40 overs for India's NRR to sneak ahead of Australia's.
Source

Basically, we're definitely screwed if Australia bats first.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I can't see the Pakistani's losing to the Aussies this time around. They not only have momentum, but a quality spin attack that is sure to draw blood. Good quicks too.

India are good at pounding for NRR. Remember the Bermuda game?

So to stay alive, we've got to bat first, pile up 350, and hope our bowlers don't suck. Hmm.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Batting first could be tricky being a day game but we have destiny in our own hands so its there if we want it.

Highlander999

ICC President

That is one of the dumbest things I have read on this forum...

Why the hell would we lose on purpose?

If we let Australia win, then we come in 2nd, and we get to face England in the semi's. If we come in first, then it'll probably be New Zealand. We would rather face the Kiwi's than the English any day because of our record.

First time someone has actually wanted to avoid us in the next round of a competition :p Things really must be mucked up :laugh

Insomniac

Title Recipient

Wtf?

We don't need to lose to Australia to kick India out of the Champions Trophy, the West Indies can do that themselves with Roach :)

I will tell you that Pakistan will not play their strongest XI against Australia however, I expect Asif to make a comeback, and possibly a rest for Aamer and Gul so prehaps Rao will play.

But, at the same time we need to come out at the top of the table in order to play our semi-final game at Centurion vs the weaker team - Centurion seems to suit Pakistan, and thats also where the final will be played at.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
I've been impressed by the WI's bowling throughout. Roach and Tonge are real prospects and will a full strength attack, they could be hard to handle. They'll hope that someone in this batting line-up can make an impact and can get into the full team eventually.

I've been disappointed with India over the last few months. I would have thought that there were much better young seam bowlers around India than Ashish Nehra. Sharma looks to have relapsed since his excellent 4 months in Australia and India too.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
That is one of the dumbest things I have read on this forum...
First time someone has actually wanted to avoid us in the next round of a competition :p Things really must be mucked up :laugh

You always like to feel dumb about many opinions that I post. Not a problem! I stand by it. Its what I feel.

ksduded

Club Cricketer
You always like to feel dumb about many opinions that I post. Not a problem! I stand by it. Its what I feel.

I seriously don't think Pakistan will try losing on purpose. They might take it easy and experiment a bit with their line up. After all, why not... its possibly the best time to try out Asif against one of the best batting lineup. If he passes the litmus test, then he is sure to get the semi-final match.

Params7

International Cricketer
If Pakistan loses vs Aus and advance 2nd from the group - They play at Wanderers vs England. England will probably defeat Pakistan there the way they have been playing the last 3 odi's.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
If Pakistan loses vs Aus and advance 2nd from the group - They play at Wanderers vs England. England will probably defeat Pakistan there the way they have been playing the last 3 odi's.
http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showpost.php?p=802002&postcount=21

A touch change in attitude on different forums? :)

I'll address your point there in here, since if I post on ICF, I'll probably get banned for being from the wrong country. We didn't get whooped in the T20 Final in 2007. We lost by 5 runs. That is not a huge defeat. Secondly, we can't defeat India in an ICC Trophy final if they can't get that far again :laugh. How was that performance in the T20 WC just now in England, and it looks like you guys will be going home early again. Not looking too pretty for you guys :) Thirdly, India can't beat Australia without a quality fast bowler which they haven't been able to produce.

So Sai, you're saying we hate India so much that we're going to lose a game against Australia to throw India out of the tournament? :laugh

Younus Khan would never do that. And for the betterment of Pakistan in this tournament, he will not do it. We do not want to play England at the Wanderers, where batting has been a touch more difficult than at Centurion.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
England might have done well in those 2 games, but Pakistan have done far better than them (the way they played against India is proof enough). They had a sticky outing against WI due to the conditions and pitch. Pakistan are in better form than England and I can easily count on Pakistan beating England in a very convincing fashion. Pakistan and Younis Khan would definitely know that.

What I said was what I felt. The PCB have been having issues in recent times with the Indian board and with both being from the subcontinent, the result on the field could possibly be an indicator of the pride that the respective board carries. So I felt that the PCB wouldnt want to let the BCCI feel better by letting India a path to the semifinal. Again, its my guesswork based on what I have infered about the personality of the people from the PCB going by news and their interview bytes. Younis Khan might want to face an easier opposition but he could receive orders to not let India in.

I never said you guys hate India. But your board could be jealous of our 'financial power status' in recent times and the IPL frenzy that happens every year.

Users who are viewing this thread