Hindi Cinema Discussion

Varun

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I love all sorts of movies. Cinematographically brilliant, storyline wise, creativity, classic dialogues, nostalgia.

And I would love to explain discuss why I think Highway was an excellent movie and Alia's was a top performance. Never called it path breaking (and dont remember anyone calling it path breaking over here).

Too blown away to write a review?

Moreover, this isn't only about Highway/Alia, as I pointed in my last post.

I think you extended the point about fanboyism more than it should've been. :p
It merely means this:

A fan, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter, is a person who is enthusiastically devoted to something, such as a band, a sports team or entertainer. Collectively, fans of a particular thing or person constitute its fanbase or fandom

Associate it with hindi/indian cinema to get my point.

----------

Also, I feel unless SaiSrini replies, it's time to close the discussion and not blow it out of proportions.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  • I dont write reviews (anymore) lol. Its a futile exercise. Always happy to discuss movies and cricket though.
  • I dont get the point of posting the definition of what a fan is. But lets forget about it. We are clearly on two different pages. I am glad this "discussion" is winding down

I love all sorts of movies. Cinematographically brilliant, storyline wise, creativity, classic dialogues, nostalgia.

Like ? Maybe name a few ..
And how do you guess that a movie is a cinematographic brilliance, nostalgic, has classic dialogues, etc. based on just reviews and trailers? Nostalgia for instance is a very personal thing. What might be nostalgic for me might not be nostalgic for someone else. Just curious.

Varun

ICC Board Member
It's part personal and part objective. I have quite a large list of movies that I want to watch in my head (a few in text) - mostly collected from lists, reviews of all sorts all over the internet (and a spot on the list or a good review actually only puts the movie on my radar, nothing more). I am watching them all of them gradually, which would honestly take a long, long time. Some of my favourite movies are The Godfather, Requiem For A Dream, X-Men First Class etc. Hindi - Lagaan, Rang de Basanti etc.

I understand that nostalgia and classic lines are personal, but at the same I also realize that creativity is better seen objectively to truly appreciate it (in the sense that creativity exists and is not only a viewpoint of the observer), and that wide critical acclaim means something, if not everything. But in the end, I'm only trying to build a personal taste.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I understand the movies are art and therefore, subjective. But then you're cherrypicking with subjectivity here as well. What would be the difference between a critically acclaimed movie and a one which doesn't garner much good reviews? I'd rather have you explain how Alia Bhatt was extraordinary in Highway than abusing subjectivity and closing the argument. As I said before, I don't consider her to be a terrible actress nor do I consider Highway to be a terrible movie. I just feel that her role wasn't probably a groundbreaking one, nor breathtaking which-would-blow-my-mind. About SaiSrini, of course I have nothing personal against him and respect him (I have to mention this again and again though, probably out of concern about volatility), what I merely pointed out is a general trend with his reviews and has nothing to do with a single movie.

I never even insinuated that her role was groundbreaking. For an actress whose body of work before Highway was the thing called "Student of the Year", Alia Bhatt wasnt expected to turn up with this performance in Highway. Performances of hers like 'Highway', '2 States' definitely does put her in that league of actresses who can be the next superstars like Kajol, Rani, Aishwarya Rai.

You also seem to be a guy who rarely gets pleased with Bollywood cinema, and so when you see a guy who has pretty good things to say about a Bollywood film, you seem to think "he is exaggerating or being fanboyish". Your taste might not be the same as mine, but that doesn't mean I am being fanboyish or exaggerating. When I really like something, I try to express it in as appropriate emotions as possible.

Varun

ICC Board Member
We can agree to disagree. Time to close the discussion I guess. :)

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I am watching them all of them gradually, which would honestly take a long, long time. Some of my favourite movies are The Godfather, Requiem For A Dream, X-Men First Class etc. Hindi - Lagaan, Rang de Basanti etc.

That's cool. These are pretty mainstream movies that everyone likes (including me). Do you want to share any non-mainstream movies that you like ?

Varun

ICC Board Member
That's cool. These are pretty mainstream movies that everyone likes (including me). Do you want to share any non-mainstream movies that you like ?

Requiem For A Dream is mainstream for an average Indian citizen? Or even for an average American citizen? I didn't realize that.

I'd love to discuss movies with you, but it seems you're trying to prove a point instead of being genuinely curious. Since I don't really care about proving that my tastes are non-mainstream, which is geography relative term anyway, I'm not sharing anything just to prove a point.

----------

If you genuinely are curious, let's discuss them on VM. It'd also save this thread from off topic material.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
LOL not sure why you got offended by that post. Wasn't having a go at all and was actually curious.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Did anyone watch Queen? I felt Kangana was brilliant in the movie and the story was pretty decent as well.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Grand Masti- Wow this is so shit. Everything about it is just awful.

Gunday- I don't like to criticize child actors but these two were mediocre. Lot of plotholes as well like how
Lateef didn't have to die in order to let the two boys run away. They had already escaped, and were running faster than the army officers.
Luckily, they only have 15 minutes. Action scenes were poor in typical Bollywood fashion. Acting of the 2 main actors was corny, but that was just the story and the script. Didn't understand the need for the love story as it took wayyyyyy too long for no good reason, and it didn't even make any sense, but that's Bollywood for you... By the end, the movie was hardly even about crime and gangsters... What a colossal waste of time.

Varun

ICC Board Member

This movie. :')

Last edited by a moderator:

Varun

ICC Board Member
No fan following for Gunda here? Disappointing, clearly one of best Hindi movies of all time. :noway

Users who are viewing this thread