ICC Cricket World Cup - May/July 2019

Who will be crowned the ODI World Champion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
What an incredible over from de Silva! Takes two wickets and England are nearly out of the game now.

Brilliant captaincy from Karunaratne too, he chose to bowl de Silva for another over despite him finishing his quota.

Bevab

Staff Member
You didnt get the point, Baristow is certainly no Akmal and way better than him. He is like Kamran Akmal of England, this isnt a direct player to player comparison, Its a matter of how much skill you have for the role. Can he play quality bowling in a good pitch ? Play him in a little seaming wicket against quality bowling and you will come to know about the capability. I will repeat again he doesnt look to me a big match player at all

I do think he’s capable of playing quality bowlers, the man has a very decent test record for a wicketkeeper. I do agree that his recent form hasn’t been the best but it wasn’t so long ago that he was scoring centuries for fun. He is the best current ODI opener for England without any doubt IMO.

Also if at all he needs replacing, the last person I would suggest is Vince who has failed to score consistently in any format for England since his debut. He has temperament issues and has always got out in cheap fashion.

Bevab

Staff Member
Bloody hell, this has been some brilliant captaincy from Karunaratne and excellent execution from his bowlers. The field placements have been spot on for most of the game and particularly towards the end. This bowling performance deserves a win. :clap

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Wow! Sri Lanka have beaten England. What in the world?? What in the friggin' world?

This result gives Sri Lanka a massive shot in the arm. They also have had two no-results, which gives them points equal to a single win. And the abandonment against Pakistan benefits Sri Lanka the most, because Pakistan were favorites for that match and also seeing Bangladesh's form, Bangladesh were also favorites for that game and could've won it. Now with those points and this win against England, Sri Lanka seem well and truly back.

And what about England? They have lost to Pakistan and Sri Lanka, and they have 3 big games coming up against Australia, India and New Zealand. Suddenly their dominance seems to be deserting them.

Last edited:

Bevab

Staff Member
Really feel for Stokes, that was some outstanding batting under pressure. If only one other batsman could have made a slightly more significant contribution...

This pitch being slower than the normal flat deck has surely aided the Lankan pacers with their lack of natural pace and their ability to bowl cutters. The England batsmen also looked very uncomfortable on this pitch and picked the length in particular wrong on several occasions.

I think @LiveLoveABD was right in having Jos bat at 5. Had he come in at 5 today and played at his usual pace, the pressure on Root would have much lesser and it would have allowed them to be much more confident of taking it deep. Stokes also seems to bat much better under pressure, he is the kind of impact player that thrives under the pressure of taking key wickets or scoring those crucial runs and that might prove handy at the death. If Buttler is supposed to be the heir to AbD, he has to start playing higher up the order sooner than later.

Mo’s form with the bat in recent times (barring the previous game) has been absolutely woeful and the supposed batdeep strength of England has had their players playing loose shots instead of trying to play responsible cricket for their wicket. It is better for them that they get these issues sorted out during the group stages rather than them being ruthlessly exposed during the semis or finals.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Interesting game for India tomorrow. I would actually try out Rishabh Pant in place of Kedar Jadhav. The reason is, Pant has been in England for sometime now but hasn't had the chance to play a warm up game, and now he is officially part of the WC squad since Dhawan has been ruled out. This could be the best time to try him against Afghanistan (no disrespect to them; but they are not Bangladesh who need to be taken more seriously). Also Southampton is a smaller ground and Cricinfo says that the pitch is expected to be a belter.

And I am suggesting him to replace Kedar Jadhav ONLY because in the Shankar vs Jadhav battle, Shankar is a seamer and on a smaller ground, his seam part timers can be a better option than a spin part timer. And if Pant plays, Hardik need not be promoted to No. 4 because Pant can be that aggressor at No. 4 and Hardik can stay behind at 6 for the final overs fireworks. My XI for tomorrow would be this:

Rohit
Rahul
Kohli
Pant
Dhoni
Hardik
Shankar
Shami
Kuldeep
Chahal
Bumrah

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
India, Australia and New Zealand should note that England are still SHIT under pressure. You take one or two early wickets and keep the pressure on, they will decimate. A fantastic performance from Sri Lanka and Malinga's initial overs and de-Silvas middle overs were a treat to watch.

Well done

B

Bigby Wolf

So England still have three big games left vs India,Australia and New Zealand - so last 4 spot still open with today's result.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Imagine the good kind of chaos in the points table had SA reviewed that Williamson caught behind the other day. SA would be genuinely in with a chance.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
So it seems India will be wearing alternate jersey only against England. They are expected to turn up with their original blue jersey for tomorrow's game against Afghanistan. That's sad since I was waiting to see the new jersey tomorrow. But makes sense that Afghanistan wear an alternate jersey tomorrow against India.

So England still have three big games left vs India,Australia and New Zealand - so last 4 spot still open with today's result.

True. Today's game opens up the competition that seemed dead after yesterday. By losing to Pakistan and Sri Lanka, England have made their position pretty shaky now. They could still win all 3 of the remaining and top the table. Or they could lose all 3 (or 2 out of 3) and crash out of the semifinal spot.

To me, the only side that looks pretty confident as of now, is INDIA. It's very weird for India to be in this position but the kind of player choices India have at their disposal, just makes them feel safe despite the fact that they have only 3 wins till now in the 4 games (with 1 washout). I think India needs a decision on Bhuvi quickly, just like they proactively pressed the button on Dhawan. Get Ishant Sharma in and close the matter out.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I have been screaming for a year now that this English side is a bit one dimensional. Their success is vastly based on a particular kind of track and whenever there is a bit in it, they will struggle. I think Roy's injury is as big a blow as Dhawan. I don't think Bairstow is in any sort of touch. Their gun batters are Root & Buttler. You get Root in particular, you have them on the wobble, specially when they chase.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
So England loses on a slowish pitch. I'll say it a million times, when not playing on a flat deck they're mediocre. Anyone remembers they were 20/6 against SA on a green pitch at Lord's? And against Pakistan on a slow pitch in Cardiff in the CT semifinal?

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
So it seems India will be wearing alternate jersey only against England. They are expected to turn up with their original blue jersey for tomorrow's game against Afghanistan. That's sad since I was waiting to see the new jersey tomorrow. But makes sense that Afghanistan wear an alternate jersey tomorrow against India.

True. Today's game opens up the competition that seemed dead after yesterday. By losing to Pakistan and Sri Lanka, England have made their position pretty shaky now. They could still win all 3 of the remaining and top the table. Or they could lose all 3 (or 2 out of 3) and crash out of the semifinal spot.

To me, the only side that looks pretty confident as of now, is INDIA. It's very weird for India to be in this position but the kind of player choices India have at their disposal, just makes them feel safe despite the fact that they have only 3 wins till now in the 4 games (with 1 washout). I think India needs a decision on Bhuvi quickly, just like they proactively pressed the button on Dhawan. Get Ishant Sharma in and close the matter out.
Totally agree. So far only India is the team that have all bases covered.
It will be very difficult for any team to beat India unless they have an off day as I don't see any team in this competition except India who can play proper spin.

Users who are viewing this thread