IGN preview for Don Bradman 14 (Looks cool)

There is very little chance that a wild guess of mine is actually correct, but it could be that a fielder's throwing arm is linked in the game to their batting. Anderson is a right hander, but he bats left handed, so the game may think of him as left handed.

Google imaged this fellow, assuming it was just a funny picture. It's not. Turns out he's a good fielder though.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ORrYTydIwXc

I think this adequately proves that.

One (minor) gameplay criticism the previewer made which I wholeheartedly agree with was surrounding the lack of a radar or mini-map:

While I appreciate this single-minded pursuit of realism, I thought this went a little too far though. It?s a little too tedious to look around the field two or three times per over, let alone before every single delivery

I know some will argue that in real life you don't get any such assistance etc etc but the fact of the matter is that in real life the batsman has better peripheral vision and you are only conrolling yourself etc (I know too many etceteras but you get the picture)

It shouldn't be a massive issue in single player career mode but I can see it frustratingly slowing down gameplay, especially in two player.

I feel like this is one point where Bigant have fallen on the wrong side of the reality/videogame divide and hope that it can be recitified in a patch (have no idea how feasible it it to do so).

A minor quibble in the context of what looks like an otherwise fantastic game but an important one in my opinion.

Edit: Sory, mixed up my previews. I was, of course, talking about the IVG preview. My point still stands nonetheless.

Last edited:
I would just like a single button press for a top view of the stadium to see the fielders' positions and the gorgeous stadium.

I would just like a single button press for a top view of the stadium to see the fielders' positions and the gorgeous stadium.

A reasonable suggestion; but I still feel like the time taken to switch between views will add unnecesary delays to the gameplay.

WOn't matter if the batsman only does it now and then but if you're playing an opponent who does it more or less every ball that could substantially slow down the pace of the game.

I wouldn't mind that as a feature as well as the mini-map though. You could use it occasionally to see precisely where the fielders are (which mini-maps often don't do that accurately) plus it'll look oh-so pretty. :)

That would be a great compromise.

Whilst I used to like the fielding radar on older games, what has changed my opinion on that is how great the HUD looks on the videos we've seen so far. It's nice to have a clear, tv like screen with the occasional stat popping up (like the runs and over comparison in the IGN video). Maybe there should be an option to enable a radar for some players, but I like the bird's eye view idea, in keeping with the minimal HUD principle.

Last edited:
I've always seen the issue with the 'pro cam' view for checking the field, especially as the time limit to check the field is limited in both multiplayer and single player modes (in fact, you'd probably get a bit more time in a multiplayer match as it depends when the bowler starts their run up). Of course, it could be something that after a hour or two, we are previewing the field without even thinking about it and just getting imersed in the play.

One issue that occurs to me with the birds-eye view option is ease of implementation?

Presumably its a lot simpler and faster to code a radar than it is to put in effectively a whole new camera angle.

Of course this is coming from someone with zero programming knowledge.

One (minor) gameplay criticism the previewer made which I wholeheartedly agree with was surrounding the lack of a radar or mini-map:

While I appreciate this single-minded pursuit of realism, I thought this went a little too far though. It?s a little too tedious to look around the field two or three times per over, let alone before every single delivery

I know some will argue that in real life you don't get any such assistance etc etc but the fact of the matter is that in real life the batsman has better peripheral vision and you are only conrolling yourself etc (I know too many etceteras but you get the picture)

It shouldn't be a massive issue in single player career mode but I can see it frustratingly slowing down gameplay, especially in two player.

I feel like this is one point where Bigant have fallen on the wrong side of the reality/videogame divide and hope that it can be recitified in a patch (have no idea how feasible it it to do so).

A minor quibble in the context of what looks like an otherwise fantastic game but an important one in my opinion.

Edit: Sory, mixed up my previews. I was, of course, talking about the IVG preview. My point still stands nonetheless.

I guess it is a bit of a hinderance, but it is probably something that adds to the challenge that requires you to have a bit of patience. Then again, cricket holds quite numerous elements that need you to be patient already, so it shouldn't be too painful.

That would be a great compromise.

Whilst I used to like the fielding radar on older games, what has changed my opinion on that is how great the HUD looks on the videos we've seen so far. It's nice to have a clear, tv like screen with the occasional stat popping up (like the runs and over comparison in the IGN video). Maybe there should be an option to enable a radar for some players, but I like the bird's eye view idea, in keeping with the minimal HUD principle.

Agree that if it's there then an option should be available to turn off. The game is all about customisation so it would be nice to have the option based on personal preferences.

I've posted before that I think a good compromise would be if there was a bar shown at the edge of the field of view if there is a fielder in the peripheral vision of the player - similar to what happens in shooters when you're being hit from off screen - a visual indication of what in real life your senses and peripheral vision would tell you.

With the mini-maps, my suggestion has always been that games should make the dot of the players a vague estimation so if you can't really see a fielder, they'd have a large dot showing their general area while those in your direct vision would be a close representation of actual size. If you're fatigued it would be worse still.

The issue with the previous games was that you could just point a wedge in the gap that's clearly shown - so I think either of those two would give you a better picture of the field (closer to what a batsman would normally have) while not giving too much of an advantage.

For this issue, I think BigAnt can add another realistic yet a more reasonable option here.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two such options:

1. At the start of the over, the player automatically starts examining the fielders, therefore reducing the human interaction every single time. Now, when during the overs, if the opposition captain changes the field, the commentators could take care of that. (But I know, it'll get repetitive soon). For instance, "The fine leg fielder has now been brought inside the circle by Clarke." Something like that. It'll not give away too much (like the exact location, unless you want to see it) but it'll give you a general idea. Moreover, it'll also test your attention and focus.

2. When the bowler starts his run-up, there could be a fade-in of the fielding radar - just for a couple of seconds. It again fades out before the bowler is about to bowl. It'll keep the balance intact, I guess.

Btw, I really liked the bird's eye view idea. But it must be very, very smooth.

I've posted before that I think a good compromise would be if there was a bar shown at the edge of the field of view if there is a fielder in the peripheral vision of the player - similar to what happens in shooters when you're being hit from off screen - a visual indication of what in real life your senses and peripheral vision would tell you.

With the mini-maps, my suggestion has always been that games should make the dot of the players a vague estimation so if you can't really see a fielder, they'd have a large dot showing their general area while those in your direct vision would be a close representation of actual size. If you're fatigued it would be worse still.

The issue with the previous games was that you could just point a wedge in the gap that's clearly shown - so I think either of those two would give you a better picture of the field (closer to what a batsman would normally have) while not giving too much of an advantage.

Both good ideas!

I especially like the idea of a "blurred" dot showing a general idea of fielders.

I don't think that the issue of pointing a wedge between the fielders will be an issue in this game as there are so many variables influencing shot placement and the nature of the control scheme means that you can't just point shot direction towards the gap you are aiming for (a-la AC09 or IC10).

The radar would give you an idea of where the fielders/gaps are... it's then down to your skill to avoid/find them.

That!! Plus at the press of the button, you should be able to see the field-map as well along with the gorgeous stadium. You can further choose to disable this field-map from the options menu if you dont like it.

Whatever BigAnt does, I surely do not want any mini-map or something similar during normal view. It should always comeup on the press of a button. And also when the field is changed by the opponent for 5 seconds.

Another compromise might be for the radar to only show when the bowler is at the top of his mark then disappear when he starts running in.

Users who are viewing this thread