India in England/Ireland/Scotland

ODI

4. Tendulkar

Ya correct.. Lets play Tendulkar at no4 and eat away all his confidence and open him more to public critics....( I still remember in one of ur articles, " Tendulkar can no more dominate!!! ") From the time he was pushed down, i was backing him that Tendulkar is not good in ODIs in any position except opener..

Such a experienced guy.. who has dominated as opener for many years.. now we all want to pull him down the order and try the strange experiments? :what

manee said:
Why has VRV Singh been dropped, he is a tearaway quick and in short sharp spells and nutured well he could be India's first quick quick bowler.

Its Simple.. He is unimpressive!:cool: This guy and RPSingh have to work more and more still to get confidence among selectors.

m_vaughan said:
Harbhajan, well, I dont think he is quite as effective away from the subcontinental wickets. Also I think people have learnt to play him well in recent times. Kumble is a better option.

Bhaji is needed in ODIs.. Its quite tricky selection.. I wud have loved to see Pathan in the squad. The conditions might have favoured him..

Lets see what happens. Dravid is the main key in tests. And our bowlers.. I have no confidence in them except Kumble and Sreesanth. Lets see ;)

saisrini80 said:
If India can have a batting consultant with Prasad and Robin Singh

Did it help, when we had Sunil Gavaskar as batting consultant? But i feel now, we don't even need any of those batting/bowling/fielding coaches.. It looks like a battrick game lol :p Instead we can have a single man to keep us motivated all the time.

Positive attitude( " we can do it " ) and attitude to hunt for runs/wickets( i,e to dominate ) is enough to keep our players alright. We lacked that during recent tours. I didnt find any improvements in body language of the bowlers inspite of having a bowling coach during Bangladesh tour. :p

Last edited:
i was a bit shocked with no munaf patel and pathan, we wil have have to see how things go. just a quick question, i am thinking of going to trent bridge or edgbaston, if anyone has been there, can you recommend a good stand to sit in. would you trust tickets off ebay

What did our Hero Agarkar do between WC and now to reclaim his place in the team?

Was he also RESTED? lol :rolleyes:

What did our Hero Agarkar do between WC and now to reclaim his place in the team?

Between WC and now, we had only one tour where we were able to see RPs and VRVs and Sharmas bowling right? I didn't mean to tell that Ajit is huge bowler or something but i feel, he might be handy in ODIs. Definitely should be better than slow running(Or u may also consider it as walking :p ) medium bowler,Munaf :D

The ECB have agreed plans for 7 Tests and 10 ODIs each year, with 2 20-20s. As India refuse to play 20-20s we play 7 ODIs against them. They need someone to kick that board down a level.
Kick the BCCI down so that we can meet ECB's requirements that they made without thought for opposition involved? I'm sure everyone in England would be crying their throats hoarse even if India had a similar agreement to play 50-bajillion ODI's every year (which they seem to have).

Sehwag would almost certainly turn out to be a bunny to one of those two bowlers so dropping him is a good idea imo.
I think Hoggard/Harmison would make Sehwag their bunnies. Not a chance with Sidebottom, I feel, as his utility comes from swinging it into the legs where Sehwag is virtually gold from. Sehwag's problem is the short ball and playing away from the body. If the ball is in his vicinity, he only gets out by playing on to his stumps, most of the time.

This hero stayed fit which is more than any of our other fast-bowlers can do at the moment. Well, anyone who looks minutely likely to pick up a wicket that the batsman doesn't give away.

no dhoni in the test side either. we must be favourites, both teams have average bowlers and ok batting but our bowlers edge over theres.
The only advantage I would give India's bowlers is the surprise factor. With the exception of Zaheer, I don't think the English have seen any of our fast bowlers. Of course, once that surprise factor wears off, it'll be run-scoring all-day.

We need a same-sided coin and the option to call every time. :)

Last edited:
The ECB have agreed plans for 7 Tests and 10 ODIs each year, with 2 20-20s. As India refuse to play 20-20s we play 7 ODIs against them. They need someone to kick that board down a level.

Wrong.

1. India don't refuse to play Twenty20s. They played one against South Africa not so long ago.
2. The reason the schedule is as it is is because the ECB requested that the schedule resembled the schedule on the tour to India in 2006.

And finally, VRV and RP have bowled pretty pathetically in all the tours I've watched them on thus far. I will be happy to watch them perform in the same vein in this three-test series as well. It's frustrating that we don't have anyone else in the pipelines either. Ranadeb Bose finally gets his call-up and he will probably be the replacement for VRV who has looked unable to buy a wicket even with all of the BCCI's money. Shame that he's over 30 already.

Yes, I agree. But who is going to do the kicking. Everyone in the ICC jump out of their seats everytime a BCCI member does so much as sneeze.

surendar said:
Ya correct.. Lets play Tendulkar at no4 and eat away all his confidence and open him more to public critics....( I still remember in one of ur articles, " Tendulkar can no more dominate!!! ") From the time he was pushed down, i was backing him that Tendulkar is not good in ODIs in any position except opener..

Such a experienced guy.. who has dominated as opener for many years.. now we all want to pull him down the order and try the strange experiments?

From my post:

Probable teams in my opinion:

I am sorry, but that rant there has ignored that part of my post and so is a bit out of order. I know damn right he is best as opener but do you think he will open?

surendar said:
Its Simple.. He is unimpressive!

In one short tour and other patches, where is the faith in the new blood that have played more than 2 matches? He should be given a longer spell since he is mythed to bowl quick (when it is not 36c in Bangladesh obviously) and India need variety in their pace attack.

And finally, VRV and RP have bowled pretty pathetically in all the tours I've watched them on thus far. I will be happy to watch them perform in the same vein in this three-test series as well. It's frustrating that we don't have anyone else in the pipelines either. Ranadeb Bose finally gets his call-up and he will probably be the replacement for VRV who has looked unable to buy a wicket even with all of the BCCI's money. Shame that he's over 30 already.

Bose's selection I agree with since he has played well in domestic cricket and earned his place. RP Singh bowled well in Bangladesh ('RP was a revelation in Bangladesh' said Dravid) and VRV Singh looks promising. VRV is adept at claiming tailenders with his pace and yorkers and this is an art India are poor at, when Kumble goes, tailenders will score centuries against India;).

How on earth can you (not you Sohum;)) pick Ishant Sharma at 18, not fully grown, with 6 or so FC games under his belt, it makes no sense, he had a good average but was not ripping teams to shreads was he?

Wrong.

1. India don't refuse to play Twenty20s. They played one against South Africa not so long ago.
2. The reason the schedule is as it is is because the ECB requested that the schedule resembled the schedule on the tour to India in 2006.

Okay, fair enough I got that one wrong.

Begs the question why though. 7 ODIs is so OTT, like overkill with a Nuke when trying to cut up a carrot.

Begs the question why though. 7 ODIs is so OTT, like overkill with a Nuke when trying to cut up a carrot.

7 ODI's is absolute pap. What is the point?! Three is more than enough to determine a series winner and gives players more days off. More Tests and less ODI's please schedule people.

I think seven is over the top also. Three or Five is adequate in my opinion with five being the rarety. For the sake of good competition I hope some of the ODIs are rained off.

I think England hold the edge at Lord's and Trentbridge while India do the same at Lord's. So 2-1 to the home side sounds fair to me. I doubt MV's side will lose the series, having not lost at home since 2001.

Did you mean "India do the same at The Oval"?

By the way, arent we going to play in the summer of England, when the pitches are supposed to be good batting ones?

When did Agarkar peform badly? In the last few matches of his international career, Agarkar has been surprisingly maintaining a good line and length. The two matches against Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are harsh to be used against him.

Last edited:
When did Agarkar peform badly? In the last few matches of his international career, Agarkar has been surprisingly maintaining a good line and length. The two matches against Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are harsh to be used against him.

Agarkar has never been amazing and leaks runs (and I dont like him) but I have to agree in 2005/6 he played well and even in the world cup did fine, simply put, he has been made a scape goat ignoring the fact that in 2005/6 he was India's best bowler.

Users who are viewing this thread