India in England Jun-Sept 2014

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
India in a pretty hopeless situation. I am sure England wont press the follow-on here even if India fall short of the 200 deficit mark. But its going to take almost a miracle for India to save this test. They have looked hopelessly bad, and have continued their age old tradition of "taking the foot off the pedal after an overseas test win".

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
India in a pretty hopeless situation. I am sure England wont press the follow-on here even if India fall short of the 200 deficit mark. But its going to take almost a miracle for India to save this test. They have looked hopelessly bad, and have continued their age old tradition of "taking the foot off the pedal after an overseas test win".

Your posts in this thread are the most pessimistic I have seen*. You are talking like India are the worst internatonal team in the world about to lose to a bunch of club cricketers**

England have not won for 10? tests, are low on confidence and pretty crap - is this some form of reverse psychology you are adopting. I.e. make out it's really bad, so not disappointed if lose but if don't lose can feel all euphoric :p

*slight exaggeration
*marginal exaggeration

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I think that particular post by @SaiSrini is quite accurate and spot on. India most certainly is in a hopeless situation right now. And has always had a long tradition of getting complacent after one win during their overseas tours. And it will certainly be miraculous if they can pull off a draw here. Its been advantage England for the first 3 days.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
You clearly haven't seen Aditya's posts in this thread.

I was about to post that. And Adi is generally a very optimist guy when it comes to India (until probably this series). Adi might be adopting the "reverse psychology" allegation that Zim makes above, but for me, no matter if I diss or boast about India, I always feel disappointed if they lose. So the "reverse psychology" never works with me. :yes[DOUBLEPOST=1406670217][/DOUBLEPOST]
Your posts in this thread are the most pessimistic I have seen*. You are talking like India are the worst internatonal team in the world about to lose to a bunch of club cricketers**

England have not won for 10? tests, are low on confidence and pretty crap - is this some form of reverse psychology you are adopting. I.e. make out it's really bad, so not disappointed if lose but if don't lose can feel all euphoric :p

England have played like a typical home team so far in this match - bat first and amass big runs. Then put scoreboard and better bowling pressure on the opposition and push them to the brink of a massive deficit. I know things can change dramatically, but so far, it all looks great for England and downhill for India.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Kohli is clearly showing a fault in trying to push out at balls which are wide of off stump, it happens to a lot of young batsmen coming to England, my only worry is, if he isn't batting well, what can he offer the team?

In terms of some bad decisions...here we go again, this test, like every other this series has had silly decisions for both sides, I believe teh argument for DRS is growing stronger.

bigred

Club Captain
Think England will need 120 overs at India. Therefore England must knock India over within the first 45 minutes so that they've got 3 hours of batting. In that time they must score at least 200. With any luck Cook will be brave and declare as soon as we're 400 ahead (not holding my breath). I'd also like him to think about getting people like Bell and Buttler up the order. Will never happen though. England have been reluctant to change their batting order for last 10 years.

aditya123

National Board President
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I was about to post that. And Adi is generally a very optimist guy when it comes to India (until probably this series). Adi might be adopting the "reverse psychology" allegation that Zim makes above, but for me, no matter if I diss or boast about India, I always feel disappointed if they lose. So the "reverse psychology" never works with me. :yes[DOUBLEPOST=1406670217][/DOUBLEPOST]

Sai, I`m not being pessimistic or applying reverse psychology in this series. I`m calling it as I see it. In the long run, Indian cricket would benefit if Dhoni is`nt the test captain. His approach of picking 'safe' bowlers is backfiring for us hugely. With all due respect to Pankaj Singh, he is nothing but an honest trier (I know he induced the edge and should`ve had Bell). 9/10 times on decent batting wickets, he will struggle. We are losing test matches anyway. Why can`t the captain throw caution to the wind and pick bowlers who have some 'X-factor' about them. Pankaj Singh and Jadeja are not two such bowlers. Bhuvi is limited by his pace. That leaves us with 3 bowlers who are either limited by their lack of pace and rely heavily on the conditions and a spinner who is`nt exactly test class either. You cannot enter a test match hoping for the conditions to be one particular way which is what Dhoni`s selections do. Add to that his tendency to defend very early in the game like he did on Day 1 here. England were note exactly setting the world on fire with their batting. They were 124/1 in 50 overs or so and Dhoni decided to bowl an hour of Jadeja and Rohit in tandem even though the seamers were beating the bat regularly. How can you comprehend defending so early in the game, with the team 1-0 up in the series. Its okay to lose to a better side but sometimes our captain gives the feeling he is just waiting for the declaration. Would it hurt us if we pick a raw seam bowling attack consisting of 3 or 4 from the pool of Bhuvi, Ishant, Shami, Varun Aaron and Umesh Yadav and a spinner in Ashwin/Ojha. We are`nt bowling sides out regularly anyway. Why are we so averse to picking a side which has bowlers with genuine pace and frontline spin? One may argue that Aaron and Yadav can be wayward and do not offer the control that Dhoni likes. What are we achieving with the control anyway? We might be holding sides at 3 r.p.o for 100 overs but concede runs to the lower and middle order counter attack so quickly that it becomes pointless.

My frustration stems from the fact that we have a pool of bowlers who if given the right exposure can challenge sides abroad and yet we pick the most defensive set. If its not the captain responsible for this then who else is?

cerande

Club Captain
Think England will need 120 overs at India. Therefore England must knock India over within the first 45 minutes so that they've got 3 hours of batting. In that time they must score at least 200. With any luck Cook will be brave and declare as soon as we're 400 ahead (not holding my breath). I'd also like him to think about getting people like Bell and Buttler up the order. Will never happen though. England have been reluctant to change their batting order for last 10 years.

Yes, England will indeed need a minimum of 120 overs. But will he declare knowing that it can effectively be chased down? Who knows, Dhawan might fire after all. I still remember when Sehwag started the chase of 380 odd in quite an emphatic way.

Different conditions, but still.

aditya123

National Board President
Yes, England will indeed need a minimum of 120 overs. But will he declare knowing that it can effectively be chased down? Who knows, Dhawan might fire after all. I still remember when Sehwag started the chase of 380 odd in quite an emphatic way.

Different conditions, but still.

If I were in Cook`s shoes, I would have enforced the follow on. If India can make them 100/5, England would again feel like being under preasure.

aditya123

National Board President
England to collapse to 100 odd for 5 and the lower order would rescue them to a lead of 450.

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
Can't believe Pankaj Singh hasn't got more than 4 wickets in this game, some of his balls have been pure beauties.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Pankaj Singh has just been unlucky. I said this few posts back that he was very tidy on day 1 but that dropped catch and poor LBW decision went against him. He was all over the place on the second day though but he looks a decent test bowler.[DOUBLEPOST=1406722218][/DOUBLEPOST]Any rain tomorrow? I don't see how we can save this test without rain.

Users who are viewing this thread