India in England Jun-Sept 2014

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Me and a friend are discussing exactly how T20 fits into the scheme of things. We kind of agree that T20 shouldn't be an Int'l feature. Keep it restricted to club cricket, or dedicated T20 Leagues. There shouldn't be an Int'l T20 match, which also means scrapping the world T20. For starters no one remembers any T20 results. T20 is more about the fun, watch a 6 being hit and so on. Who is hitting the six is kinda secondary. I for one am struggling to recall any Int'l T20 featuring Ind in recent years. I do remember almost all the ODI and tests though, but not a single T20.

THoughts?

Think T20 can fit into international schedule well. The main reason why people every so often think about scrapping a format at int'l level is because of the incoherent FTP schedule the incompetent ICC along with the various Cricket boards have created make a lot series seems useless.

Cricket is unique phase where it has 3 formats in its sport, that it can use effectively to promote the game to audience while keeping the traditional nations happy. My full thoughts on the matter from a previous thread: A New Fully Revamped Cricketing Tour Schedule - Proposal - PlanetCricket Forums

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I think you are underestimating Sri Lanka. They will give England a proper fight. If you saw Sri Lanka vs Pakistan test series earlier this year in UAE, Sri Lankan fast bowlers were very impressive. The conditions will help them even more here so they are likely to perform well against this relatively inexperienced batting line-up of England. Their batting might get exposed against Anderson and Broad but if one of Sanga or Mahela can bat through, than they might just pull out a win. I think this Sri Lanka's best chance to win a series in England.

I am really concerned about India tough. Sri Lanka started the tour with T20 and ODI's to get used to the conditions. We are starting the tour with test series and I am not too positive about India's chances in the test series.

I claim my oscar.

S

Satan666

England take the series 3-1 with a drawn match. The indians have lost the last test by an inns folding for 94. I am sleepy and exhausted will pop bottles when I wake up guys.

PokerAce

Banned
Guessing your interest in cricket has dwindled, similarly most Indians back home. Think youre getting ahead of yourself though, the pending West Indian tour of India will revive that interest, after the Indians steam roll the number 8 ranked team its gonna be business as usual for the Indian management and their fans alike, perhaps including yourself.

I fully agree that India should ceae playing test cricket as of now, not sure if you can recall I had posted this idea a while ago and received some nasty responses by you guys, its good to see a poster of your stature posting this somehow I feel vindicated today. I had also mention some years ago on this board I think of a propsed two teir system with India playing alongside NZ/BANG/WI/ZIM and perhaps Ireland, the top teir would host PAK/AUS/ENG/SA, in fact there were some columnists clamouring for this set up to happen, sadly with the BIG 3 including India this set up will never happen.

This is the masterplan of the BCCI to kill test cricket, since they can make no money from it and historically India have never been a force to be reckoned with in test cricket.

As of now the only hope for test cricket surviving would be for India to have a top test team, but as you alluded to the BCCI may never allow this to happen......

I was hoping Rahane and Kohli would have been to emulate the Dravid/Laxman partnership against the Aussies in 2001 but so much for that!!!

I do see all kinds of suggestions and agendas being pushed here, but lets calm down. Ind to stop playing test cricket, because ind lost 3-1 away? I know Ind were poor, but this suggestion is even worse. Did Eng stop playing test cricket after a much worse 5-0 hammering in last year. Or Did AUs stop playing cricket after the 4-0 hammering in Ind?

Yes Ind have had a poor, so they should playing cricket and play in second tier with Ireland !! WTF are u guys smoking?

Eng cricket slept their way though the 90s, getting whacked all over the world, did they stop playing cricket?

Last edited:

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
I wish Dhoni would stop being so professional and fabricating excuses at interviews and just straight out say that the team are incapable and stupid. Like in the manner in which he blasted his CSK players in he IPL final. That was good man.

PokerAce

Banned
Think T20 can fit into international schedule well. The main reason why people every so often think about scrapping a format at int'l level is because of the incoherent FTP schedule the incompetent ICC along with the various Cricket boards have created make a lot series seems useless.

Cricket is unique phase where it has 3 formats in its sport, that it can use effectively to promote the game to audience while keeping the traditional nations happy. My full thoughts on the matter from a previous thread: A New Fully Revamped Cricketing Tour Schedule - Proposal - PlanetCricket Forums

I still T20 is not enough of a contest between Bat and Ball to be considered serious cricket, worthy of Int'l fixtures. Have it thrive at the domestic level though.

Also having read what you said, u say 3 T20s per tour ... that is too much. I mean just picture Eng travelling to B'desh and playing 3T20s, who on earth would watch.

Last edited:

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
LOL.. we did manage a below 100 score this time.

But atleast we followed the process

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
As a consolation, I won some vCash back :D

War

Chairman of Selectors
I still T20 is not enough of a contest between Bat and Ball to be considered serious cricket, worthy of Int'l fixtures. Have it thrive at the domestic level though.

Also having read what you said, u say 3 T20s per tour ... that is too much. I mean just picture Eng travelling to B'desh and playing 3T20s, who on earth would watch.

Yea i agree about the contest limitations in T20 & certain type of players who couldn't make it as 50 overs or test cricketers are thriving & becoming millionaires in that format. That the problem, & it shouldn't have been if the ICC was stronger & was controllin the T20 boom worldwide since the 2007 world cup.

Test cricket your wife, 50 overs your side girl & t20 is the stripper/street prostitute. The stripper is getting too much hype in cricket's life ha smh...

But as i mentioned in the post, regardless of anything else T20s should be used strategically by the ICC to promote the game to the associates, thus making the T20 world cup very important, the T20 cup this year showed.

I look at cricket's 3 formats like a football season where you had the league & two cup tournaments (Copa Del rey/Coppa Italia/FA Cup/Champions League).

Test cricket is like the league the you slog out to play everyone home/away & if you win that - you know you the clear best team for the year, cause you conquered all the various challenges. While the league cups/C-League is the knockout competition (50 overs/T20 world cup/Champions trophy), that the best team around doesn't always win.

With regards to B'desh, well one doesn't have to be rigid with the proposal, although i might argue in 3T20 series, B'Desh would arguably challenge the major nations more than in 3 tests/50 overs.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Okay this is mind numbing - In top 5 run scorers 3 batsmen are Indians !!

To be fair; Dhoni did have to come in in the last two tests with India at fearsome tweak-all for four, and bar the last innings, he scored a fair few...

War

Chairman of Selectors
ENG team not finished article nor does this series win bring them closer to AUS/SA - in fact i'm not even sure if ENG better than New Zealand ATM. But in the end its a good series on the field & in the bank for ECB.

This unnecessary 5 test series vs IND, the first between to 2 sides in ENG since 1959 & first 5 tests since 1984 in general - ECB have taken maximum advantage of IND TV rights money. And the team winning has eased the pressure on Cook, the looming KP saga, the ECB bad governance (ENG have a ridiculous 2015 schedule, worst i've ever seen) until another day.

PokerAce

Banned
ENG team not finished article nor does this series win bring them closer to AUS/SA - in fact i'm not even sure if ENG better than New Zealand ATM. But in the end its a good series on the field & in the bank for ECB.

This unnecessary 5 test series vs IND, the first between to 2 sides in ENG since 1959 & first 5 tests since 1984 in general - ECB have taken maximum advantage of IND TV rights money. And the team winning has eased the pressure on Cook, the looming KP saga, the ECB bad governance (ENG have a ridiculous 2015 schedule, worst i've ever seen) until another day.

Yeah well done Eng ... tougher tests ahead we will all agree. As for Ind I suppose when you are coming off a disaster tour, getting a win is most important and in that regard the WI series at home has a lot of Importance. Anything other than atleast a 2-0 would be disappointing. Then off to Aus for what will really be a 4-0 series in all likelihood. Also important to remember that Ind beat Aus 4-0 in the last series, so when Ind go to Aus, they will be all out for revenge, and there are fewer scarier things than an Aus team out for revenge. Well there is actually - the prospect of this porus batting line up having to face it !

Expect no favors on that tour.

Users who are viewing this thread