Indian Premier League - General Discussion

What a match! What chase.. well played CSK, Sam Billings innings was awesome.

Billings' saved CSK from a defeat, but he played really well and got Chennai close to this target. Not to mention that good start by Watson and Rayudu.

Well done CSK! Even though Vinay Kumar was too generous to you on that final over :D

Watson, Rayudu and Billings saved the day.

Well, Vinay Kumar is utter useless.

CSK have unearthed a gem in Billings.. at least one of my fav teams is keeping me interested in this tournament!

That was some batting by Billings to get Chennai back in the game. Watson and Raydu started well but after they fell, it looked like Raina and Dhoni were just not interested in chasing the target. Raina getting injured meant that MS can not rotate the strike against the spinner which he loves to do. However, he seriously needs to improve his game if he still wants to play in T20 format. He has had some serious decline in his batting and it's affecting him the most in T20's. Especially when he starts against spinners, he takes a lot of time which forces the batsman at the other end to take all the risk. Now it's wonderful when this strategy works becaus eonce he has taken his time, we know he has the ability to more than make up for the balls that he has wasted. However, when it doesn't work which is happening more often these days, it looks horrible and just puts too much pressure on the batsmen who are coming after him. Dhoni is not known for hitting from ball one but the stage at which he comes into bat, most of the time it does require him to go from ball one which he hasn't done in a while.[DOUBLEPOST=1523386573][/DOUBLEPOST]P.S. As long as Vinay kumar is there, any target is achievable. He is such an average bowler. I can't believe KKR is not giving chance to someone like Nagarkoti because of Vinay Kumar.

Yeah similar thoughts and now that I see him bat, he looks out of sorts. It is like his mind is elsewhere
I just hope he doesn't decide anything on retiring..Though have a feeling that he might.. Really hope I am wrong..

Another "come from defeat" victory for CSK! I was not as happy with this one as I was with the first one. This one, they took it too easy and such an attitude has started to get onto the nerves. I know they back themselves to chase down 20+ runs or even more an over when they get to the last 3-4 overs but there will be quite a few days when the bowler gets it right and hurts CSK at a tournament defining moment. Also their fielding today was poorer than last game, with too many misfields and sluggish chases on the ball, etc.

Lucky for us that we are 2 wins out of two, but we need to ramp up our game as quickly as possible. Hoping for David Willey to add a new dimension to the game. Also waiting with fingers crossed on Suresh Raina's fitness update. Its absurd that fit guys like Raina easily get calf strains mid game.

Watson and Rayudu gave us a superb start! Honestly I was surprised when people talked negatively about Rayudu opening in the last game against MI. He was positive in that game and scored a free flowing 20 odd. Even today, he was very positive and took huge toll of Piyush Chawla in the Powerplay. I think he and Watson combine really well at the top and might not need changing. Billings was fantastic and justified all the hype on him. To come out on debut for CSK and bat like that to win the game, is very special. If Billings can bat like this, we might get David Willey in for Tahir and play Watson/Billings/Bravo/Willey. Will be one hell of a XI when it happens.

Why are the stands empty .. Looks like an eyesore for such a big tournament

It has been a painstaking thing for years now. TNCA built those stands without prior approval of the Chennai Corporation. However the Chennai Corporation have deemed those stands illegal due to safety reasons (too much cramping of spectators, obstructing flow of air into the stadium thereby causing health concerns, etc.). TNCA has been trying to get this resolved for years now but neither Chennai Corporation budges (i.e. approves those stands for public use) nor the TNCA budges (i.e. raze down those stands and rebuild them according to safety norms or leave them open).

Have noticed one thing with CSK this year compared to the past - a lack of local presence. This is one thing they used to do really well in the past, they always had a tangible local presence in the squad. Genuinely don't understand why they didn't go for Karthik, Ashwin or Washington given some of the players they have.

Quite a few CSK fans like me lamented about the lack of local presence. We have picked only two guys from Chennai (Murali Vijay and Narayanan Jagadeesan). Out of which one guy is a complete unknown (Jagadeesan has played 9 FC games and 13 T20 domestic games). And Murali Vijay is not the same Vijay that succeeded few years back for CSK in the IPL. His hitting prowess is on the wane. Considering that Chennai had 6.5 crores left at the end of the auction, could have gone harder on Ashwin or Sundar or Karthik. What's more astonishing is that along with Fleming, they also had L Balaji (a Chennai player; current CSK bowling coach) at the auction.

Last edited:
Dhoni played very bad. Now, he is not a T20 batsman. Billings, Watson and Rayudu played very well. I don't know why Vinay Kumar is playing instead of Kamlesh Nagarkoti.

With Dhoni being the captain, it is to be hoped that he gets lucky and gets into some good form in the latter stages of the tournament. In fact in the two games so far, Dhoni/Raina/Jadeja have been big flops (I don't count Jadeja six as a positive; till then, he was batting like a snail when the asking rate was 14+ runs per over and even in the final over when Bravo got livid with him for turning down the second run.

Stupidity from KKR to keep Nagarkoti and Mavi in the sidelines and give Vinay Kumar chances. He has lost them a game that they should have easily won. 17 off the last over was defendable even for a youngster. Also the Chennai pitch today surprised everyone for being so batting friendly. There was not a lot of turn. It ensured that CSK's spinners were not as effective as they should've been.

Kkr definitely gotta make some changes, singh, kumar and curran gtg. Get gill, nagarkoti and Johnson back into the playing XI.

Curran bowled much better than Johnson tbh.
Kkr definitely gotta make some changes, singh, kumar and curran gtg. Get gill, nagarkoti and Johnson back into the playing XI.

Curran didn't do too badly, it was tough on a flat batting track and Billings hitting it everywhere. He's a seasoned T20 bowler and fit for the format. If Mavi or Nagarkoti comes into the XI, Johnson's not really needed because now there's a young bowler who can clock above 140 and bowls good bouncers, and in Curran you have a clever bowler who has the ability to mix it up with slower balls, off cutters and sort of gist.

Vinay Kumar is not a limited overs bowler, nothing special about him with his medium pace and he's too predictable. Mavi and Nagarkoti add a nice variety with their pace and bounce.

I cannot digest the fact that Vinay Kumar gets a spot in the playing XI. How he manages to do that is beyond me. I have seen him going for runs (and big runs may I add) 90% of the time and yet the teams keep picking him up :facepalm

Vinay Kumar, Jaydev Unadkat, Ashok Dinda, all players of same boat.

Also wonder what happened to Varun Aaron? He has disappeared completely from any form of cricketing scene.

Users who are viewing this thread