Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Watson just SHUT a lot of mouths there, including mine. I did want him rested for some games so that he gets back the hunger to score runs, but probably you guys are right and I am wrong and it is that the backing of the captain/franchise has played a part in Watson rediscovering that touch.

We are the first team to qualify for the playoffs! Yet another playoff. Never missed a single playoff whenever we have played in the IPL. So happy to be a CSK'ian.

I think he would have been dropped in any other franchise. It's just that he would have been dropped probably after his 3rd game in RCB while the other franchises would have dropped him after 4th or 5th.

How many games would Watson have opened or opened with the same partner in those 3 games for RCB?

I had said this on twitter that CSK will not drop SRW. Faf is about to leave, Rayudu will open and Billings will come in at 4. Players on the bench are always made out to be better than the ones playing. Watson is quality, as is Bravo who is not who he was but still the best option for CSK. MSD knows this, and he just wants to persist and not create doubts in the ranks. Quietly, Chahar has become the full T20 package. I would like to see him play t20 internationals for India now as our third seamer. He fields well and ALWAYS takes wickets upfront. Fast becoming handy on tacky wickets in the death as well.

Punjab need to make some changes tomorrow. Get Nair in for Miller, Miller is far too hit and miss. Get Sarfaraz in for Murugan Ashwin. Purely because of the surface. Get Tye in for Harpreet Brar.

Gayle
Rahul
Mayank
Karun
Sarfaraz
Mandeep
Curran
Ashwin
Tye
Viljoen
Shami

This side has much more bite and the batting is much much better than the rubbish they played last game. I think Curran will hoop it around and can just bowl through. Enough death bowling there with Tye, Viljoen and Shami.

If it moves around, Shami and Curran will make the ball talk. One spinner is enough and Viljoen has been the find of the season for me among the foreigners.

We are the first team to qualify for the playoffs! Yet another playoff. Never missed a single playoff whenever we have played in the IPL. So happy to be a CSK'ian.

We are coming to beat you though :D..... Still won't mind CSK beating us

Edit:- I feel if MI retained their players smartly and used them well they would've been as successful as CSK. But they never had the longetivity of sticking with players. One season they lift the cup and other season they drop all their core players and start from scratch once again. Credits to the quality of players they have and the coaching staff because of which they won 3 titles

Last edited:
Punjab need to make some changes tomorrow. Get Nair in for Miller, Miller is far too hit and miss. Get Sarfaraz in for Murugan Ashwin. Purely because of the surface. Get Tye in for Harpreet Brar.

Gayle
Rahul
Mayank
Karun
Sarfaraz
Mandeep
Curran
Ashwin
Tye
Viljoen
Shami

This side has much more bite and the batting is much much better than the rubbish they played last game. I think Curran will hoop it around and can just bowl through. Enough death bowling there with Tye, Viljoen and Shami.

If it moves around, Shami and Curran will make the ball talk. One spinner is enough and Viljoen has been the find of the season for me among the foreigners.

RCB would fancy their chances against KXIP to win as they have beaten them earlier this season and the playoff spot would still be in their minds

For some odd reason your predictions seem to hold true :D

This match is so reminiscent to the IPL 2018 final. Strong powerplay bowling and SRH slowly lose the grasp on the game. Watson is unstoppable at the moment. 175 never seemed enough when you consider SRH were looking at 200+ at one stage.
Haha, I get it wrong an equal number of times as well :)

But in this case, I was a tad bit more confident.

This is what happens when your captain backs you and this is where Dhoni is so much ahead and better than Kohli in terms of captaincy. This is the same Watson who was considered old and done when with RCB two years ago. And here he is now with the backing of a captain enjoying himself, same way as he did in the last season with CSK.

TBH Watson wasn't doing anything great for RCB and he was probably in his worst form even prior to the auction of 2018 IPL. He gained form earlier in PSL which happened after the auction and was probably in a very good form. His form was the reason he succeeded. Captain's support only helps to some extent. What if he didn't perform for RCB even after being retained ? Again Kohli would've been blamed. Just give him chance atleast. I know he is tactically a bit weak at times but what's good is that he always has the eagerness to win. He might struggle but he would certainly learn with experience he gains from these loses. I am sure this guy would go ahead from here on in and achieve a lot of laurels for the Indian team as Captain. Just like he took time as a player to get into the side and became one of the best player in the world, he would improve as the Captain. Eagerness to win and your pasion is more important to win in sports rather than tactics

LOL ! CSK just sneaked through a faint win with that blank batting towards the last phase .

TBH Watson wasn't doing anything great for RCB and he was probably in his worst form even prior to the auction of 2018 IPL. He gained form earlier in PSL which happened after the auction and was probably in a very good form. His form was the reason he succeeded. Captain's support only helps to some extent. What if he didn't perform for RCB even after being retained ? Again Kohli would've been blamed. Just give him chance atleast.
Do you remember where was Watson being batted when he was with RCB? He was being floated here and there and that is what dented his confidence and that is where I blame Kohli the captain. There are so many times Kohli has made decisions which have affected the players mentally. Rahane, Pujara are some examples. The constant chopping and changing and players unsure of their roles in the XI are always captain and management's fault.

Do you remember where was Watson being batted when he was with RCB? He was being floated here and there and that is what dented his confidence and that is where I blame Kohli the captain. There are so many times Kohli has made decisions which have affected the players mentally. Rahane, Pujara are some examples. The constant chopping and changing and players unsure of their roles in the XI are always captain and management's fault.

I will give you and everyone a fair bit of analysis over here. ATM it's not possible due to time constraint. But I definitely will

Watson has pretty much said in his PC what was going on at RCB. They went bananas over Dubey and Hetmyer this year and both are not even in the XI. I don't even know what Dubey did wrong. He didn't bowl and the little he got to show with the bat wasn't bad at all.

Look at someone like Quinton de Kock. He's got a run at MI and he's delivering.

Look at someone like Quinton de Kock. He's got a run at MI and he's delivering.

Being an MI fan I can definitely talk about this. We definitely needed a player who can strike the ball well at top of the order considering that SKY wasn't that big hitter of the ball at the position.

Yeah we did have Evin Lewis but he wasn't used to playing spinners that well so that was another trouble which we would've liked to address. And we all know Wankhede is a pitch which is the quickest and the bounciest surface in India and the pitch is pretty much like the one which he gets at Wanderer's so we felt he was an ideal guy. And also he got a brilliant 100 at the Wankhede in the ODI series against India back in 2015

As an MI fan since I got to know that De Kock is available for the auction I definitely wanted MI to go for him and fortunately they bought him and I was delighted to see him in the MI squad.

The other thing is MI probably has the best bench strength in the world for this format so they don't give much chances to the ones which are on bench but they give chances who are ideal for the situation and the conditions and the best part of MI is they believe in longetivity and sticking with players throughout the season and that works really well for us. If they believe, "Yes this is the player we want in the line-up" then whatsoever be the circumstances they play them.

So this was the reason De Kock got an extended run even after failures. And this is the reason why they have stuck with Rohit Sharma even after 2 back-to-back below average season and I am sure he would be retained even for next year. Same goes for Pollard, Hardik, Krunal and Bumrah

At LAST, Washington Sundar gets a game!!! At last!

Wonder why Akshdeep Nath is still playing?

So, CSK loses only Sam Billings due to the early departures.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...s-foreign-departures/articleshow/69019150.cms

Its great that Watson hit form in that last game. CSK won't miss Billings, who has played only one game till now this season. Faf and Tahir stay till the final and join their camp the next day, which means they are available. Rajasthan might as well give a walkover of their remaining games and start focusing on IPL 2020. :rolleyes:p Sunrisers also are going to get hit significantly with Bairstow and Warner leaving and doubts on Rashid and Nabi.

Users who are viewing this thread