Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Will wait until retentions are announced to give my jist of probable First XI for MI.
:bat: Rohit Sharma :c:
:wkb: Ishan Kishan :wk:
:bat: Tilak Verma
:bat: Suryakumar Yadav
:ar: Hardik Pandya
:bat: Tim David :os:
:ar: *overseas spin AR* :os:
:ar: *overseas pace AR* :os:
:bwl: Piyush Chawla
:bwl: Jasprit Bumrah
:bwl: Jason Behrendorff :os:

Hasaranga and Jason Holder will be to really good picks to make to complete the first 11

Hasaranga and Jason Holder will be to really good picks to make to complete the first 11
It doesn't work like that anymore, you have to think like you're making a 12 man team.

Holder is atrocious in T20s these days against decent batters. I’d pick a local seamer ahead of him.

As @pillowprocter noted, I’d rather go for an overseas pacer even if they can’t bat and then sub them out for Wadhera whilst batting. Hasaranga is a good shout. Him, Chawla and Behrendorff offer some batting depth even if it is deceptive in reality and not as good.

So GT let go two of their best allrounders and captaincy candidates - Hardik and Dasun Shanaka and even made Gill the skipper and not the vastly experienced Williamson. I understand that Kane is an overseas player but there isn't anyone to take his spot in the middle order (unlike his time with SRH) as such especially with Hardik gone. Now, even if they somehow get Stokes in (I strongly believe CSK will grab him though), it will still be an interesting headache since they let the best local allrounder go.

Thought they could have released Little and retained Joseph too.

So GT let go two of their best allrounders and captaincy candidates - Hardik and Dasun Shanaka and even made Gill the skipper and not the vastly experienced Williamson. I understand that Kane is an overseas player but there isn't anyone to take his spot in the middle order (unlike his time with SRH) as such especially with Hardik gone. Now, even if they somehow get Stokes in (I strongly believe CSK will grab him though), it will still be an interesting headache since they let the best local allrounder go.

Thought they could have released Little and retained Joseph too.

Stokes isn’t playing in the upcoming IPL so there’s no point in buying him. I don’t think Shanaka’s of much use either given his catastrophic loss of form and confidence over the last year. You’ve highlighted why Williamson would not have been a good candidate for captaincy… it’s a lot of responsibility to dump on Gill at this stage but he does have a strong backroom staff to rely on. If he plays his cards right he’ll be right in contention for being the next white ball captain for India post 2024.

Users who are viewing this thread