Indian Tour of Sri Lanka & Triangular Series, July-August 2010

rocky_g

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
:doh:doh We play with/against each other for 6 months in a year (IPL included).

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
How about sticking the India-Sri Lanka matches thread forever? :laugh

Yuvi is back. ;)

shripathee

School Cricketer
Why has Badrinath been dropped?: He has performed well in his first test. He is an experienced and solid batsman. Apart from Sachin, VVS, Dravid, Sehwag, he has the best technique of all Indian batsmen. Neither Yuvraj nor Raina inspires confidence. Raina has been picked because of his performance in limited overs cricket. Test cricket is a different ball game. (Although Raina is a good player of spin bowling)

LongLegs?

Club Cricketer
Raina's selection is meh. Would rather see Rohit, and even he is way down on my list. Pujara/Rahane are doing well on the A tour. Surely, one of them should get the middle order place. Why Badri was dropped is even more perplexing.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Badri had one good performance in the first test vs SA. But apart from that, he was ordinary. Even though Vijay was also ordinary, he got that big IPL hundred which turned the tables for him because the selectors are looking for players who can play all formats of the game and not just stuck to one format (which Badri is stuck to, for tests). Badri will never have a successful India career. He will be just a veteran domestic batsman who got a few games to play for India.

Ishant and Sreesanth back for tests. Good, retain them just for the tests. Maybe try RP Singh and/or Irfan Pathan for the ODI's and we can have a different bowling attack for tests and ODI's/T20's with only Zaheer being the common thread. India could have sneaked in another bowler by having Karthik in place of Vijay and dropping Saha. But the team looks good. Waiting to see the trio of Sachin, Dravid and Laxman back. Long time, havent seen them in action.

shripathee

School Cricketer
Well, that's really unfair on Badri. He plays with a lot of heart and performs very well under pressure ( remember csk's last league match and the semi final).

I just get a feeling that in the near future a time will come when India desperately needs Badri in the team.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Well, that's really unfair on Badri. He plays with a lot of heart and performs very well under pressure ( remember csk's last league match and the semi final).

I just get a feeling that in the near future a time will come when India desperately needs Badri in the team.

That may be the case but the selectors aren't going to pick a squad based on who's going to play with the most heart. Form plays a big part. Besides he wasn't that flash against SA. Maybe next time...

Not sure if anyone has posted this:

Ross Taylor to captain New Zealand in Sri Lanka tri-series | Cricket News | Sri Lanka Triangular Series, 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Seems as though they've give Vettori and McCullum paternity leave. Taylor will captain and they've included Kane Williamson. Haven't heard that name in a while.

Last edited:

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Saw that. Vettori and McCullum have paternity leave which is why they're not in the squad. Hope Williamson does well though.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Aww this will be a tough ask for the Kiwis without McCullum and Captain fantastic. All the best to the young fella Williamson though.

LongLegs?

Club Cricketer
Badri had one good performance in the first test vs SA. But apart from that, he was ordinary. Even though Vijay was also ordinary, he got that big IPL hundred which turned the tables for him because the selectors are looking for players who can play all formats of the game and not just stuck to one format (which Badri is stuck to, for tests). Badri will never have a successful India career. He will be just a veteran domestic batsman who got a few games to play for India.

Ishant and Sreesanth back for tests. Good, retain them just for the tests. Maybe try RP Singh and/or Irfan Pathan for the ODI's and we can have a different bowling attack for tests and ODI's/T20's with only Zaheer being the common thread. India could have sneaked in another bowler by having Karthik in place of Vijay and dropping Saha. But the team looks good. Waiting to see the trio of Sachin, Dravid and Laxman back. Long time, havent seen them in action.

Ishant and Sree were always going to play Tests.

Instead of Badri, they should've picked Pujara. Why go with Raina, his FC average is 44, and he hasn't done anything of note in the format. If performance matters, then Pujara has just hit a List A century, to go with a double hundred in one of the FC matches on the India A tour of UK. For Test matches, Pujara is a better pick than Raina. Not to mention, he has very good technique.

I stand by Murali Vijay though, great technique as well. Just needs to stop playing the odd loose shot.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Instead of Badri, they should've picked Pujara. Why go with Raina, his FC average is 44, and he hasn't done anything of note in the format. If performance matters, then Pujara has just hit a List A century, to go with a double hundred in one of the FC matches on the India A tour of UK. For Test matches, Pujara is a better pick than Raina. Not to mention, he has very good technique.

Mind you, domestic form and averages can be very misleading when they play international cricket. The gap between international and domestic cricket can at time be quite big and players who perform superbly domestically at times struggle when called up to the national team.

Regarding your complaint about Raina, I would say the same thing about Yuvraj. His average is worse than Raina's and he hasn't really been consistent enough in the Test side. I say give Raina a chance.

LongLegs?

Club Cricketer
Mind you, domestic form and averages can be very misleading when they play international cricket. The gap between international and domestic cricket can at time be quite big and players who perform superbly domestically at times struggle when called up to the national team.

Regarding your complaint about Raina, I would say the same thing about Yuvraj. His average is worse than Raina's and he hasn't really been consistent enough in the Test side. I say give Raina a chance.

I'm not a fan of Yuvraj in the Test side either, and I've already said that before in a few threads, so I'm not going to repeat myself again. But, I don't know, Yuvraj could be a good Test player, and he plays short bowling pretty well in the ODI format, unlike Raina. Of course, I don't mind Raina getting the spot if he performs, but if domestic form is the criteria...guys like Pujara, Manoj Tiwary and Rahane should really get chances before they become too old and are discarded.

Yes, domestic form and averages can be misleading, but there are so many talented young batsmen with 50+ averages, and all of them can't be bad. Pujara is probably the one I want to see the most in the Test side having watched domestic cricket - he looks the most impressive, and he has a knack of playing long innings, which a lot of the other guys seem unable to do.

Last edited:

rocky_g

International Cricketer

Hello this is test cricket. :doh Some fans take IPL performances too seriously. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread