India's tour of Bangladesh 2014

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
So India are touring Bangladesh after the end of the IPL for 3 ODI's. Ideal preparation for England eh? Also just read this news on Cricinfo.

India Cricket News: India to tour Bangladesh after IPL | ESPN Cricinfo

So we won't have MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli who are our best limited overs batsmen and selectors will have to choose a new captain. The options they have are Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina and R Ashwin.

Rohit Sharma captains Mumbai Indians in IPL so he has captaincy experience. However, If he does get the captaincy, he will be handling the international captaincy for the first time.

Suresh Raina is unlikely option because he wasn't even in the squad of India's last ODI series Asia cup.

R Ashwin is an interesting option because he doesn't have any captaincy experience but he surely has a good cricketing brain. However, Ashwin's form has been rough in ODI's. So it will be interesting to see who selectors go for.

I am a big Gautam Gambhir fan so I am bringing an outside scenario here. I would like to see Gambhir coming back and captaining the side. This will bring that much needed experience that this young line-up is lacking.

India's Squad: Suresh Raina (capt.), Robin Uthappa, Ajinkya Rahane, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ambati Rayudu, Manoj Tiwary, Kedar Jadhav, Wriddhiman Saha (wk), Parvez Rasool, Akshar Patel, R Vinay Kumar, Umesh Yadav, Stuart Binny, Mohit Sharma, Amit Mishra

Sun Jun 15 (50 ovs) 1st ODI - Bangladesh v India
Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur

Tue Jun 17 (50 ovs) 2nd ODI - Bangladesh v India

Thu Jun 19 (50 ovs) 3rd ODI - Bangladesh v India

Last edited:
My Squad
Virender Sehwag
Rohit Sharma
Kedar Jadhav
C Pujara/Ajinkya Rahane
W Saha
Ravindra Jadeja ^
Ravi Ashwin/Mishra ^
Sandeep Sharma ^
Bhuvneshwar Kumar ^
Mohammad Shami ^
Ishwar Pandey ^

Reserves: Yuvraj Singh/Rishi Dhawan, Gambhir (wanted him instead of RS, but that will never happen), Rayudu/Sanju Samson, Varun Aaron/Umesh Yadav

But imagine Viru & Jadhav opening. :eek:

^ Way too many bowlers and extremely weak batting. How can you play 4 fast bowlers in Bangladesh? Saha's batting is nowhere near the international standard. I don't see Sehwag making a comeback based on couple of IPL performances. Sandeep Sharma looks good with new ball but we are yet to find out how he does with the old ball. Sanju Samson as I have said before is very inconsistent and throws away his wicket regularly. He needs at least 3 years in domestic before coming in the national team.

My Squad:
Shikar Dhawan
Gautam Gambhir/Virender Sehwag
Cheteshwar Pujara/Rahane
Sanju Samson(WK)
Rohit Sharma
Yuvraj Singh
Ravindra Jadeja
Ravi Ashwin
Bhuvaneshwar Kumar
Varun Aaron
Sandeep Sharma

Reserves:Suresh Raina,Kedar Jadhav,Vinay Kumar,Manish Pandey/KL Rahul

Rohit/Rahane
Gambhir/Pujara
Pujara
Rohit
Raina
Saha
Jadeja
Ashwin/Chahal/Mishra
Bhuvi
Shami
Aaron/Yadav/Pandey

I would like to have Rahane and Gambhir open in this line-up and shift Rohit to no. 4 so, otherwise it looks shaky.
And as it always has been, it will be DK and not Saha who's gonna make it into the squad.

As for the bowlers, Chahal might be worth trying in the limited overs and esp on this lowly regarded tour.

Sanju Samson as I have said before is very inconsistent and throws away his wicket regularly. He needs at least 3 years in domestic before coming in the national team.
Yes. But a player that special and young should get a go at least one in these kind of tours. Plus that will help him to know how big daddy games are like, not will it only help the player, but it will also help him in his domestic tournament.

Gautam Ghambhir
Robbin Utthappa
KL Rahul
Sanju Samson:wk:
Yuvraj Singh:c:
Kedhar Jadav
Karn Sharma
Yuzuvendra Chahal
Vinay Kumar
Mohit Sharma
Jaydev Unadkat

Pravin Tambe
Stuart Binny
Manish Padney
Parthiv Patel

As Bangladesh pitches are not the best for pacers, i would like to drop Ishwar Pandey and pick Jaydev Unadkat, so that I would have a left arm seamer.

Vinay Kumar and Mohit Sharma have proved to be great t20 talents in IPL.
Vinay has also proved it in the 4-dayers, by leading his to a memorable domestic season.

Yuzuvendra Chahal & Karn Sharma has shown some great talent in flighting and spinning the ball in the IPL, these techniques are surely going to be rewarded in the Bangla Soil.

Yuvraj Singh , Robin Utthappa, Parthiv Patel & Gautam Ghambhir
would get back in the side on basis on their wonderful fight back in the IPL.

KL Rahul and Kedhar Jadav are in the teams on basis of the great ranji trophy performance. This two have also performed well in the IPL.

The talented young fellow Sanju Samson walks in as a wicket-keeper batsman. He has had some great season of IPL to support him.

Gautam Ghambhir
Robbin Utthappa
KL Rahul
Kedhar Jadav
Karn Sharma
Yuzuvendra Chahal
Vinay Kumar
Mohit Sharma
Jaydev Unadkat

LOL Wtf. Is this for real :|

I dint realise we were supposed to field a pity-XI team against BD. The timing of this series s*cks, but we still have to field a good team that can win the matches without any embarrassment.

Ideal opportunity to rope in Pujara, and nail a more defining role for Rahane

Is this for real
no.

----------

Ajinkya Rahane
Gautam Ghambhir
Cheteshwar Pujara
Sanju Samson/Robbin Utthappa
Yuvraj Singh
Kedhar Jadav/KL Rahul
Ravindra Jadeja
Bhuvaneshwar Kumar
Amit Mishra/Yuzuvendra Chahal/Ravi Ashwin
Mohammad Shami
Mohit Sharma

Zaheer Khan
Ishant Sharma/Ishwar Pandey
Sanju Samson/Robbin Utthappa
Kedhar Jadav/KL Rahul
Amit Mishra/Yuzuvendra Chahal/Ravi Ashwin

Gautam Ghambhir
Robbin Utthappa
KL Rahul
Kedhar Jadav
Karn Sharma
Yuzuvendra Chahal
Vinay Kumar
Mohit Sharma
Jaydev Unadkat

Pravin Tambe
Stuart Binny
Manish Padney
Parthiv Patel

As Bangladesh pitches are not the best for pacers, i would like to drop Ishwar Pandey and pick Jaydev Unadkat, so that I would have a left arm seamer.

Vinay Kumar and Mohit Sharma have proved to be great t20 talents in IPL.
Vinay has also proved it in the 4-dayers, by leading his to a memorable domestic season.

Yuzuvendra Chahal & Karn Sharma has shown some great talent in flighting and spinning the ball in the IPL, these techniques are surely going to be rewarded in the Bangla Soil.

Yuvraj Singh , Robin Utthappa, Parthiv Patel & Gautam Ghambhir
would get back in the side on basis on their wonderful fight back in the IPL.

KL Rahul and Kedhar Jadav are in the teams on basis of the great ranji trophy performance. This two have also performed well in the IPL.

The talented young fellow Sanju Samson walks in as a wicket-keeper batsman. He has had some great season of IPL to support him.

Not sure if Indian cricket team or IPL XI.

----------

If you are going to give the likes of Yuvraj Singh and Gautam Gambhir , people who have failed to perform in Ranji ( and other domestic competitions ) , another chance to play for our country , then what about those who have played well in Ranji? The Ranji performers should always be given first preference. Vinay should not be let near the Indian team. And I feel those who are sure-shots to go to England ( Kohli , Dhoni et al) should be given some rest. I dont understand why we are having a series against Bangladesh. We should have played against the likes of Ireland and Afghanistan who , IMHO , are better cricketing nations when you consider that despite their poor facilities , their limited population and other obstacles , they are playing almost to a level par with Bangladesh. Moreover , playing with Ireland would have served indirectly as practice matches as well.

My team for Bangladesh would be something like this:

Shikhar Dhawan
Robin Uthappa
Ajinkya Rahane
Rohit Sharma (c)
Yuvraj Singh
Sanju Samson (wk)
Suresh Raina
Ambati Rayudu
Ravindra Jadeja
Amit Mishra
Karn Sharma
Bhuvi Kumar
Ishwar Pandey
Mohit Sharma
Varun Aaron

Too early to try Sandeep Sharma. Need to try something different than Ashwin, whose negative line is getting too predictable these days. Shami needs a break

Last edited:
Mohit Sharma has proved to be woefully out of depth at international level. He needs to go back to domestic cricket , play more matches and gain more experience. He has just played 19 FC matches.

----------

What do you think about giving Jalaj a chance? Same with Bhawne. Both were very good in the Ranji trophy and I am particularly impressed with Ankit.

----------

My XV would be ( in no particular order ) :
Jadhav
Gautam
Rasool
Saxena
Bhawne
Parthiv
Raina ( because he wont picked in the test squad )
Pankaj
DK ( Same as Raina )
Rayudu ( Same as Raina )
Robin
Rishi
Malolan ( state bias :p )
Nayar
Binny

In case DK is picked , I would suggest Motwani or Rahul

P.S: I know that this squad will never be picked because of its inexperience :p

Last edited:
The Ranji performers should always be given first preference. Vinay should not be let near the Indian team. And I feel those who are sure-shots to go to England ( Kohli , Dhoni et al) should be given some rest. I dont understand why we are having a series against Bangladesh. .

3 solid points I agree with

- Guys like Vinay Kumar should stay out of our future plans, whether overseas or subcontinent or any format. It will be nothing but a step backward to mediocrity. Add Dinda to this list

- The frontline pacers need to be rested. Guys like Bhuvi, Shami, Varun will gain nothing from playing 3 senseless ODIs in BD.

- Spinners on the other hand shouldn't be rested, because a stint in BD will be a good way to get some wickets and boost their confidence.

- We could include Gambhir/Yuvraj and give them yet another chance, but, unless they score 3 back to back centuries or something, they shouldn't be considered for Tests in England. They had done nothing of note over the past few months.

- Rahane, Rohit, Pujara, Dhawan will be the crux of the batting. If (or rather, after) we win the first two games, then a couple of these guys can be rested as well.

- Good time to try out Rishi Dhawan, Ishwar Pandey, Rayudu, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread